Author Topic: The Icthians  (Read 30395 times)

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
The Icthians
« on: April 16, 2006, 08:09:13 am »
NB. A large amount of information/backstory/development is unfortunately lacking in this thread, as most of it has been done in others and I'm frankly speaking too lazy to post it here as well. I'll hopefully get around to copying it over or providing links when I get the time.

So, a sapient species that lives underwater, eh?

My attempt in Paint. :-\

Picture drawn by nuclearchinchila

Picture drawn by Luminar

B/W version
Picture drawn by a13gt

Picture drawn by Uroboros

Picture drawn by Yokto

Previous version
Picture drawn by operaghost21

Icthian (ˈɪk.θiː.ʌn), plural Icthians, or the Icthian race, are a species of sapient aquatic creatures which are native to the oceans of Alimar Secundus, the second of the five planets in the Alimar System.

The Icthians are a race of small (approximately 1 metre, or 3 feet long) predators that feed on smaller aquatic animals near the beds of the seas on their home world. Their body is composed of a long set of gills on the underside, the gut in the middle and cartiliginous plates on the top. The body as a whole, along with two long flat tentacular fins running along the creature's side, undulate to keep the creature moving at some speed (and to keep water running through the gills).
At the head, the dorsal plates give way to a hard cartilage brain case that covers the top of the head down to the eyes, of which there are four (two large hemispherical eyes on the sides and a pair of smaller eyes that give more binocular vision further forward on the head). The mouth on the underside of the head has no lower jaw but a large rasping tongue-like structure which breaks food up by crushing it and ripping it against a set of cartilage teeth on the roof of the mouth.
Slightly behind the head are two dextrous tentacles on each side which are used to grapple prey and manipulate objects into the mouth. At the rear end of the body is the anus at the end of the gut, and the genitals. Reproduction is done by releasing eggs and sperm into the water whilst swimming in shoals, where they are carried away by water currents.

The creatures communicate by creating pressure waves (like sound) by flicking the back of their tongues against the roof of the mouth. Tools and other materials are invariably made from aquatic plants, rocks from the sea bed and parts of other creatures. A large brain is set well back in the brain case, with the optical centre of the brain sitting in between and next to the eyes at the front of the head. The body as a whole is fairly thin and streamlined, with tentacles tucked into the body as the creature swims.

Hopefully I can provide some more details later (especially of the rise of civilisation etc.), with more pics (any offers?). The wiki page, which I hope to get updated as much as possible, can be found here.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 05:19:36 am by Daxx »

Offline Mr. Consideration

• Goddess of Phobos
  • Merry Christmarx, one and all!
    • View Profile
Re: The Icthians
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2006, 10:13:46 am »
Cool Creature, looking forward to pictures/more info
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Yes, I am aware of the irony.

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2006, 01:15:23 pm »
Cool Creature, looking forward to pictures/more info

Cheers.

Tribal stuff:

Socially, they form loose clans or "family" relationships (young are looked after by a mother, but the odds are they are not that mother's biological children), which are patriarchal structures (females tend to the young whilst males hunt) made up of up to 20 adults plus varying numbers of children. They swim the oceans together, though often keep to the same general territories near hunting grounds. The males defend these grounds with ferocity and occasional fights break out when a hunting party which has run out of places to get food attempts to steal territory from another.
Tool use developed to improve hunting, and tools are occasionally used in clan warfare. Writing developed as a signpost system to record the best hunting grounds, and developed to help transmit knowledge from generation to generation.

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2006, 05:44:49 am »
The Rise Of Civilisation

As hunting groups shared the same territories and relations developed between different clans, there was a brief period of massive warfare as some clans battled for dominance. Forming alliances between clans, the largest coalitions eventually formed fairly stable feudalistic nations based on broad areas of ocean.

More to come here.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2006, 10:20:41 am by Daxx »

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2006, 05:48:39 am »
The Space Age and Colonisation

Quickly finding problems with creating colonies on other planets in their system, the Icthians spent a long time developing the techniques required to start a colony on another world. Huge domed cities held together by sheets of thick plastics and a network of carbon nano-tube ropes and beams were created on other planets. Icthian engineering and materials science improved vastly during this time, and a mining operation was set up to strip the smaller rocky planets of their home system of their mineral resources to fund the expansion.

The sheer expense of colonisation was what checked progress. Eventually, the Icthians perfected the space elevator which allowed them to move materials into orbit by using very little energy. They sent probes to nearby systems to inspect for habitability, and found other life.

On contact with new intelligent species in other systems, the Icthians were surprised to find them almost exclusively land-dwelling. they therefore proposed to colonise the unused oceans of other worlds to ease their own population pressures. A small navy was built with the intention of protecting their hard-won worlds from the huge aggressive fleets of starships rumoured to exist out in the void.

Allying with their neighbours the Auyuelcliads, they found a natural partner. The Dust-Born, as the Auyuelcliads were known in the Icthian tongue, had evolved on a planet entirely devoid of oceans and rainfall. As a colonisation partner, the Icthians would dwell in the seas of the worlds they found whilst the Auyuelcliads would colonise the land.
Soon, Auyuelcliad temples sprang up across their home planet Alimar, and many Icthians found the strange similarities with their ancient religion compelling. Deciding that there must be a universal truth for such beliefs to spring up elsewhere, many Icthians could be found with the Henethist Dhulami symbol tattooed to their heads or fins as a mark of their new belief.
Together, they entered into an alliance with many other neighbouring species, hoping to spread peaceful contact, find new worlds to colonise, and gain from the technological advances of others.

The word "Icthian" in the Chrybdul alphabet.

Lots more to come here.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2006, 07:35:09 am by Daxx »

Offline luke

• Rigel Rescuer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2006, 08:16:24 am »
does this race have any steads of some sort or not and what do they hunt ???

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2006, 08:21:51 am »
does this race have any steads of some sort or not and what do they hunt ???

They don't really ride steeds (is that what you meant?) because they're fast enough on their own. Later on they develop vehicles which take the work out of travelling but they tend to live on the move anyway.

They tend to hunt fish-like aquatic animals smaller than them, because they are small creatures themselves - only a few feet long. When in a hunting party they have been known to go after larger creatures which they hunt rather like wolves - often driving it into shallower water before attacking it with weapons made from the bones of other large creatures or the tough stems of aquatic plants.
They will also eat the plants themselves, but not for the little nourishment they provide but rather for the microscopic creatures that live on them covering the underside of the leaves. As a primarily carnivorous species, they tend to hunt a little at a time for what they need, but will not hesitate to take the opportunity to attack something larger when it is safe to do so.

Offline luke

• Rigel Rescuer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2006, 08:34:02 am »
steeds THATS what i mean loll sorry  ::)  cool so they are sort of like Paranas

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2006, 08:42:22 am »
steeds THATS what i mean loll sorry  ::)  cool so they are sort of like Paranas

In some ways, particularly their hunting patterns, they are I guess. Hadn't really thought of it like that.

Offline luke

• Rigel Rescuer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2006, 08:56:31 am »
well the part where you said they sometimes attack prey larger than them selves and they hunt in packs thing kind of reminded me of Paranas they should train Paranas to be like there little hunting dogs

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2006, 09:25:03 am »
well the part where you said they sometimes attack prey larger than them selves and they hunt in packs thing kind of reminded me of Paranas they should train Paranas to be like there little hunting dogs

They'd probably just catch and eat the piranhas, to be honest. ;D

Offline luke

• Rigel Rescuer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2006, 09:29:05 am »
theres something Ive never herd before like sometimes if the young come back to there mother when they arnt supposed to the mother eats them is that how these monsters work?

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2006, 09:38:43 am »
theres something Ive never herd before like sometimes if the young come back to there mother when they arnt supposed to the mother eats them is that how these monsters work?

Well, it's very rare for a juvenile Icthian to ever find their mothers again, and if they did there would be virtually no way to tell which child belonged to which mother. The Icthians don't habitually eat their young; they look after whichever ones join their clan - as long as they are healthy and there aren't too many juveniles already attached. This means that only the most healthy young tend to survive long enough to last to sexual maturity (not being attached to a clan when young is a sure recipe for death).

Offline luke

• Rigel Rescuer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2006, 10:06:02 am »
ah i see i guess the young are vulnerable to other monsters arnt they

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2006, 10:08:20 am »
ah i see i guess the young are vulnerable to other monsters arnt they

True. It's nature's way of weeding out the weak ones.