Author Topic: Learning Not to Trust Reviews the Hard Way  (Read 5024 times)

Offline Bkeela

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
Learning Not to Trust Reviews the Hard Way
« on: April 15, 2006, 10:13:06 pm »
I have invested in the current, soon to be obsolete, generation of consoles like no other.  Having discovered some gem games, it was only natural to seek out similar experiences by researching game reviews online.  It is hard to know where to start though, so I used sites like Metacritic and Game Rankings.  In this way I bought a number of games that although universally praised, just didn't appeal to me.  I have since learnt that taste in games can be as selective as taste in music or anything else, so a reviewer's taste in games is of paramount importance.  This might be obvious to some people, but it wasn't to me.

An example is The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.  It took the first boss for me to realise how much I hated the game.  I couldn't summon the motivation to continue after that, for I found the experience so profoundly painful.  I could have gritted my teeth and pushed on, but I had done that with Knights of the Old Republic and had not received adequate compensation.  The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time might be 10/10 if you have a passion for collecting hearts and gems, fighting boss monsters, and you are enthralled by cliched, childish stories, but for other people it might not rate so well.

Similarly, I thought Metroid Prime would be excellent.  I love the Metroid series, being a particular fan of 2D platform games, but Metroid Prime was horrible for me.  The claustrophobic feeling of the suit, the tedious method you had to employ to find out information, the frustrating controls, and the irritating boss battles all nearly led me to destroy the game disc in anger.

I have long loved role playing games.  From the old Sierra, point and click adventures of Hero's Quest and Space Quest, to more sophisticated games like Fallout and Baldur's Gate - they have been games that I have really enjoyed.  How was I to know that Japanese games of this type would be unbearable to me?  How could I have known that the very similar game mechanics could become almost magically tedious?  It is true that some of the reviews warned of cliched story lines, but a more dire warning was needed I feel.  Maybe a warning like this: "WARNING: DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES CONSIDER THIS GAME IF YOU ARE ABOVE THE AGE OF TEN!"

Tales of Symphonia is the first and only jap RPG I will play.  I know there are legions of fans who swear by Final Fantasy, but I just know I will hate those games.

I haven't mentioned the HELL I went through with Ninja Gaiden, nor the intense nausea that Beyond Good and Evil filled me with, but if you think they are examples of under appreciated games, I bet you haven't even heard of Do Don Pachi Daioujou or ESPGaluda.

Now I'm not prepared to suggest the above games are bad.  I just lack the needed temperament to enjoy such games.  However, I do wish I had learnt this about myself before wasting money.  I guess there is always Ebay - someone out there must want the Legend of Zelda: Collectors Edition...

c14dude

Re: Learning Not to Trust Reviews the Hard Way
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2006, 01:15:20 am »
yeah american and jap rpg's are very diffrent. however i do suggest giving FF7 a try, it fills you with a sense of urgency (me at least) in the start of the game and i really enjoyed it though i never beat it haha. anyways you can get FF7 on the pc for free
if you know where to look. its a hassle to buy the game in stores you would have to order it.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2006, 02:37:03 am »
Uh... what games do you like?

I agree that most game reviewers are not to be trusted or taken at face value but the games you listed are considered to be fantastic by a majority of gamers. That said, the reviewers did their job perfectly. The problem is yours, not theirs (hmmm, I guess problem seems a bit harsh a word).
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
  • Life is worth much more than gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2006, 03:46:34 am »
Often times you will have to do some research before you begin trusting reviews. Look at the games they have reviewed before and how you liked those games.

Quote from: /lurk
PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.
FACE: Not again! Quickly Palm, come to me!

Offline Bkeela

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2006, 04:10:33 am »
I know the problem is mine.  My taste in games is just not broad enough to enjoy all games.  I suppose because the games I listed received such universal acclaim, I thought they would have to be good.  But then again, I don't like the Simpsons much, and it is of course one of the most popular shows ever.

My favourite genre is turn based strategy games like Colonization, Alpha Centauri, Master of Orion II, and of course Civilization IV.  I thought Advance Wars was great.  'Shoot em up' 2D games like Raiden II and Gradius are another favourite genre of mine, especially the ones made by Cave.

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2006, 04:18:52 am »
Get Galactic Civilizations 2, it is a great Turn based game.

PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • We're going to hit the mountain!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2006, 11:53:31 am »
I'm the same way with just about every RPG ever made. Luckily, I know this, and never even consider trying to get into one (Though Oblivion looks pretty sweet). Someone I knew gave me Final Fantasy X. Ive tryed to get into it, but the game just bores the heck out of me.

Seriously though, I don't see how anyone could not like Metroid Prime. The original was amazing. I'm about a quarter of the way through Echos, and the series still continues to amaze me.

Offline ElemenoP

• Battlezone Captain
  • All Hail, the mighty glowing geography teacher!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2006, 12:35:27 pm »
I swear by the gamespot reviews, every game they review that i've played it has been exactly how they described it, they also sometimes give a few different perspectives, so it sorta ends the whole "Yeah they said it was good, but it it good for me?" issue.
http://www.savefile.com/files/184513
HelperBox.  Ensuring a brighter future!
(it's a 9 megabyte movie I made in endorphin. It's pretty funny)

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
    • My Digitalart.org profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2006, 01:24:44 pm »
Maybe you need to look into abandonware? It's free and there are many classics among them.

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2006, 01:30:28 pm »
I swear by the gamespot reviews, every game they review that i've played it has been exactly how they described it, they also sometimes give a few different perspectives, so it sorta ends the whole "Yeah they said it was good, but it it good for me?" issue.

I read Gamespot's reviews, but I feel that they are way too harsh on the scores sometimes. Don't get me wrong, lots of their scores seem pretty fair, But Metroid Prime: Hunters got an 8 in graphics? This game has the best graphics on the DS by far. They rated Castlevania DS higher in graphics. I think that IGN's reviews are much more fair.

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2006, 02:34:06 pm »
Sorry pilot4life, your on my hate list now.

You had it coming.

Saying stuff like that.

IGN more fair then Gamespot.

On the Metriod Prime Hunters graphics part, Gamespot gave it that score because they felt there were some slight problems in the graphics that kept it from getting a higher score. People complained about the same thing when the GTA:LCS review was put up because it got a 8 in graphics to. But like MP:H it just had some problems that kept it from getting a higher score.

All the same, I would rather have a site that may be a little harsh, but at least give a more proper score. IGN often times seems very random with their numbers, either overrating it horribly or underrating it.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2006, 02:55:05 pm by Cool AN »

Offline aname

• Starcross Space Cadet
  • The name's Mario, Mario Mario.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2006, 04:33:06 pm »
ninja gaiden was really hellish at first but if you can make it past the demon on the horse, it gets MUCH more fun. I'll tell you the easy way to kill him if you want me to, but im really tired right now. :D
Back in black, with a gray dry brush and a red stiple effect.

Offline Behumat

• Joust Warrior
  • Coruscant committee to fight urban sprawl
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2006, 11:45:54 am »
I find that I can avoid most games I won't like by playing demos, or renting them from the local video store.

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2006, 05:01:50 pm »
Sorry pilot4life, your on my hate list now.

You had it coming.

Saying stuff like that.

IGN more fair then Gamespot.

On the Metriod Prime Hunters graphics part, Gamespot gave it that score because they felt there were some slight problems in the graphics that kept it from getting a higher score. People complained about the same thing when the GTA:LCS review was put up because it got a 8 in graphics to. But like MP:H it just had some problems that kept it from getting a higher score.

All the same, I would rather have a site that may be a little harsh, but at least give a more proper score. IGN often times seems very random with their numbers, either overrating it horribly or underrating it.

My gosh, you act like I just killed a baby or something... ::)

How is GameSpot more fair than IGN? I'd like to see you actually back up your opinion. I have an open mind.

I'm just saying that GameSpot will seriously underrate (or rarely overrate. I'm looking at you Perfect Dark Zero) their games sometimes. Its not really that one site is right and one is wrong, its difference of opinion. Just like you may trust some movie reviewers over other ones, same with gaming reviewers. Theres no right or wrong site.

However, ask anyone what they think about GameSpots reviews, and 9/10 will tell you that they tend to be fairly conservative about their scores. IGN will actually tell me more about the good things about a game rather than all of the little bugs and annoyances.

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2006, 04:23:41 am »
Actually the first part was a joke. I was a little vary about it but decided to keep. Wasn't very smart of me I know. Sorry.

And yes I know it is a matter of opinion. But Gamespot just seems, to me anyway, better in their reviews and doesn't go of and give a ridiculous score *cough*Jade Empire*cough*. I know Gamespot doesn't always give the proper score, but in my experience they are much better then IGN.

Also some times I prefer them listing the flaws, I can read about the good things about almost everywhere, but often times the bad things aren't listed anywhere so you don't know what to expect.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2006, 04:26:37 am by Cool AN »