Author Topic: PC driving games ; Looks for opinions  (Read 2152 times)

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
PC driving games ; Looks for opinions
« on: May 13, 2005, 08:17:11 am »
One of my preferred game types are driving games. I've got steering wheels (I burn up about one a year) and I kick back and enjoy running at super-legal speeds. So, why not add another thread about gaming and discuss driving games? I tend to be cheap and pull stuff from the bargin bins, but sometimes I break the $20 mark...

So my current game is SportCarGT. A nice little racing game with simple but functional physics. You can upgrade and tune your car somewhat. My only grip is that the race is based on total distance over a fixed amount of time rather than a number of laps.

I loved Need For Speed Porche Unleashed, but it isn't stable on Windows XP (bummer... twas a great game) The physics were very nice, I guess I'd call them 'real enough'

I was disappointed in Need For Speed Hot Persuit 2 since it was a hashed port of a console game. Many of the things that made the NFS series great had been cut.

Anybody have an opinion on NFS Underground2? I'm curious if it is worth the money.

Midnight Club II was a great cheap game, better than Midtown Madness, but the 'stunt' abilities were a litle silly.

What are other people playing?
-Lego

Offline Tr0n

• Dragster Diehard
    • View Profile
Re: PC driving games ; Looks for opinions
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2005, 09:40:01 am »
NFSU2 has very little realistic physics.  It's meant only to simulate a very.... superficial aspect of the tuner community.  It's simply another attempt to bring The Fast and The Furious to life.  However, it does this well.  I prefer the NFSU series to the Midnight Club series, and NFSU2 is really fun.  It has lots of different courses (because they're all drawn from a large free raoming city ala Midnight Club.  It offers lots of race types, like conventional circuit, sprint (point to point), drag racing (my favorite), and drift competitions (that sport those oh-so-whacky japanese love over there on their island).  It's stylish to a fault (a game shouldn't have to resort to a Playboy model to sell), but it supports a fun racing engine.  You'll constantly find yourself flying down a back alley at 160mph hoping to God that that blur ahead isn't a barrier.  If it is, you are toast.

I'm still partial to the Gran Turismo games and Forza Morotsport.  Once you play those puppies, any other racing game is simply a piece of cake.  Gran Turismo has enough options to be the Morrowind of racers, but Forza (which I've just gotten into) has a better AI and a trainable "drivitar" that you can make as your racing alter-ego.  GT4 supports  a slightly more fluid driving model (where turning isn't as hard, and you can powerslide into a curve at 120mph), where Forza loves to keep you going in a straight line unless you're going slow and you've come off the brakes (forward momentum is exaggerated).

Aside from that, I've played a couple Nascar games but they get boring around lap 50.  But, if you want my final ratings, my favorite arcade driving sim is NFSU2, and my favorite driving sim of all time is Gran Turismo (any of the series).
Hey love crusader, I want to be your space invader
For you I will descend the deepest moon crater
I is more stronger than Darth Vapour
Obey me, I is your new dictator

Offline Gil

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2005, 11:05:56 am »
and if you like arcade racers try trackmania: sunrise demo here. Gamespot rated it an 8.2 It is a real arcade racer with huge stumps and insane speeds.

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2005, 01:07:09 pm »
I have the first Trackmainia and found it fun for a little while, but the 'stunts' were just too far gone. I reminded me of tetris-meets-racing. If they sorted out the driving in :Sunrise I might have to try it out.

Did Grand Tourismo come out for the PC?

Nascar games... I liked some of them, the demo for the Simracing2005 is cool, but my machine is showing its age and the physics are to die for... almost literally. NASCAR:Revolution - what a disaster that POS was. If you can get it to run you'll find that you wasted your time.

I played MotorCity Online for a while too... loved the cars and the physics, hated the on-line only functionality and massive, cheat-stopping, lag... huge swing and a miss by EA. Long since shutdown, the CD is but a coaster.
-Lego

Offline Tr0n

• Dragster Diehard
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2005, 07:46:54 pm »
No, they never made Gran Turismo for PC.  THere's always a PlayStation emulator and a 5 dollar copy of Gran Turismo 2 :).  If you're exclusive to PC, the driving SIM (not arcade driver) is very rare.  I'd expect Forza Motorsport to come out eventually for PC, but if you have an older computer, you're screwed
Hey love crusader, I want to be your space invader
For you I will descend the deepest moon crater
I is more stronger than Darth Vapour
Obey me, I is your new dictator