Author Topic: empires in the data base  (Read 4372 times)

Offline Lu Yan

• Video Pinball Wizard
  • That's a nice spear! Do you use it to Fish?
    • View Profile
Re: empires in the data base
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2006, 08:58:46 pm »
Woops, forgot about the Plants, Vehicles and buildings there.   :-X

My Bad.

Offline Leng

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • !?!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2006, 12:23:35 am »
right so you play the all-powerful elder race and you leave behind flowers that focus sunlight to incinerate competition and grazing animals...
I have been told
not by one but two of my lovers
that I've got a heart of gold
but I'm unable to share it with others
They call me a poet who'll never have a poem
a tiger with no taste for bone
I'm the wonderful wonderful wizard who's waltzing alone

Offline Tantalus

• Bezerk Brawler
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2006, 01:01:22 am »
It really depends on how much space all that would take up. If a creature ends up coming to only like 45k, how much would a planet amount to? A solar system? If its unreasonably large you it might not dl it automatically but hopefully you can manually dl some competition.

Offline Fobok

• Fishing Derby Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2006, 01:26:30 am »
If a creature ends up coming to only like 45k, how much would a planet amount to?

Weren't they already, as of last month at GDC, down to like 10k, before compression? Anyway, that's what I'm guessing. I'm going to guess a planet would come in around 500k to a meg tops.

As for empires, though, it was said that aliens wouldn't get the UFO (or was it interstellar drive?) before you came in contact with them, so I doubt you could download whole empires. Now, I wouldn't mind downloading whole solar systems, which would probably come in around the size of a Sim in Sims 2, but not sure even that will be in.

Offline Brutus

• Ice Climber
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2006, 01:40:37 am »
gaming steve must come down like the dove from above
Never mind your own business.

Offline Leng

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • !?!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2006, 02:26:59 am »
i doubt an empire would take up much more space than the sum total of individual species, planets and vehicles it's made of.  the only other data you would need is the index to assign their IDs to the empire.  if an empire were instead computer generated, you would still need to DL most of the data, with the index being called up from scratch.
I have been told
not by one but two of my lovers
that I've got a heart of gold
but I'm unable to share it with others
They call me a poet who'll never have a poem
a tiger with no taste for bone
I'm the wonderful wonderful wizard who's waltzing alone

Offline Megajames75

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2006, 04:10:08 am »
Just to point out that if a whole empire was uploaded it would not fill your whole galaxie, WW said that if you played spore for your whole life you would not have totaly explorded your galaxie.
My sporepedia page:

http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Cold-Fire

I have over 50 creatures, I only upload my best so each of these should be good. All my creatures work ingame, and are beliveable.

Please take a look at my sporecast of the Flob species:

http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=ssc-500012834975

Offline xip

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
    • xip software
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2006, 04:18:11 pm »
If a creature ends up coming to only like 45k, how much would a planet amount to?

Weren't they already, as of last month at GDC, down to like 10k, before compression? Anyway, that's what I'm guessing. I'm going to guess a planet would come in around 500k to a meg tops.

no, not necessarily! it can be very small to, if you only save the seed, used to generate the planet producelly, or you save the algorithm used to create the 'bump map' surface, you might be down to equally as small sizes as other objects.
in a game like spore, fysical size don't mather much for the in-game size of objects.

not that any one bother to read my comments... but still.
/WushuKid

Offline Fobok

• Fishing Derby Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2006, 06:08:05 pm »

no, not necessarily! it can be very small to, if you only save the seed, used to generate the planet producelly, or you save the algorithm used to create the 'bump map' surface, you might be down to equally as small sizes as other objects.
in a game like spore, fysical size don't mather much for the in-game size of objects.

not that any one bother to read my comments... but still.

I was actually thinking more the details of the terrain, since I'm hoping that each time we visit a planet it'll have the same terrain, or even better, changed just slightly to simulate erosion and such. But, if I build a colony in a crater next to two other craters, and come back the next day and those two other craters are gone, it won't feel quite right. Now, hopefully, they can keep that and still keep the sizes small.

Offline xip

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
    • xip software
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2006, 06:23:00 pm »
yeas, but you proberby dont have to save the entire planet(all the polygons) to do this... you proberbly only need to save the action of doing so. this action can then be recreated when you visit the planet... this action saved to disk whod be extremly small, however... this tecnique has its pro's and con's.

now... this is assuming that thay save things in this manner, only the devs knows how the engine save things, but after knowing about the produceal way of things... it is a strong possebility...
but that is just my gues.

[doh!... spell-check page whent offline, sorry boys and girls]
/WushuKid