Author Topic: empires in the data base  (Read 4160 times)

Offline Brutus

• Ice Climber
    • View Profile
empires in the data base
« on: April 12, 2006, 12:08:57 pm »
i know that peoples planets will be loaded up, but will they be kept in the same way? what i mean is, if i conquered 3 naigbouring solar systems would those three systems be loaded up to the database and then be put out in the same way like they were on your comp , still 3 neighboring system owned by one species?

this would mean entire empires are loaded  up so you would quickly see big empires forming as people who love spore do nothing but build there empire.

Never mind your own business.

Offline GCool

• Robotron Automaton
    • View Profile
Re: empires in the data base
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2006, 12:12:04 pm »
I would doubt it, although I would love to see something like a group save - you basicly select a tonne of stuff and save it as a grouped file - then when someone gets one of your planets, they get 'em all...
Might become a bit over-powering, though - i meen, if everyone did that, you wouldn't have so much veriety...

Offline Tantalus

• Bezerk Brawler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2006, 12:28:11 pm »
it would be nice if it did do that big upload and picked things from that that you needed, need a creature? Choose the creature, need a planet pick a planet, need a spiral arm spanning opponent, dl a spiral arm spanning opponent.

Offline Polymer

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2006, 12:29:11 pm »
That would be tight!! If two planets somehow liked each other and the players were given the  choice to ally. Then they could be counted as one empire and while one was logged off the AI would take over and such. That would be cool!

Offline jpdorgan

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2006, 12:36:44 pm »
As far as I can tell, the only content that will be uploaded to the database will be your original creations.

If you conquer a world that populates your galaxy, then that world was a pre-existing world and wouldn't be uploaded.  This world would most likely already be someone else's creation and wouldn't need to be re-uploaded.

There seems to be no reason to upload entire galaxies when everyones galaxies were already populated with uploaded content in the first place.

Offline xip

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
    • xip software
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2006, 12:40:27 pm »
No, most likely not.

that is impossible, you Must think of this as a singel player game.... now, if a million player on different computers(all in their own little alternative dimension of the universe) starts to modify the content on all the planets that will affect your computer... it will be chaos.

how and when who'd this content be updated from the server? and Ho's action has priority over others? you could put your creatures on a planet, and then *POFF* ... the planet is updated with a completely new alien form a 100 other players, Or ... leave the planet for 5 sec, come back(reload) and everything is completely different .... it is simply not possible.

trust me, it who'd be very very bad thing :)
/WushuKid

Offline Milk eWay

• Fire Truck Driver
  • Don't cry over spilt milk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2006, 12:50:08 pm »
I don't think that is a good idea.  I mean sure, it sounds cool, but what if someone took over most of their galaxy.  That would fill up most of yours too, and you would only meet one other race.  Talk about boring.

Offline xip

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
    • xip software
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2006, 12:56:41 pm »
@Milk:

well, to his defense... we don't know what order the planets will be in compared to each other... so if we have a 100.000 players, the odds that you would only meet one of the player creations( even if he populate every planet he finds) is ... astronomically small :P
« Last Edit: April 12, 2006, 12:59:17 pm by xip »
/WushuKid

Offline jpdorgan

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2006, 12:58:30 pm »
I don't think planets are going to be continuously updated.

I would imagine that as soon as your galaxy has been populated that is the end of it.

The computer most likely takes over anything and everything in the galaxy once it has been downloaded.

Unless you request specific downloads, the galaxy will most likely not be constantly updating.

Offline Leng

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • !?!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2006, 02:51:42 pm »
i would also think that the populating would only affect things the player hadn't directly witnessed (and so couldn't contest the consistency of).  the way i think that empire seeding could work is this: the game takes snapshots of your empire over and over.  if they were strung together into a movie it would show the "geography in motion" of your empire, but that's not the point.  at some point one of these snapshots (say you control 5 systems totalling 10 worlds, with a couple heavily populated) is DL'd to a given player.  this empire on the other player's computer can never again be affected by you.  let me reiterate that nothing directly witnessed by the player can ever be revised, except as the natural changes brought about by AI behavior, or earlier by evolution.  everything not witnessed by the player, or related to what the player has witnessed, is nonexistant.  beyond this point lie dragons.
I have been told
not by one but two of my lovers
that I've got a heart of gold
but I'm unable to share it with others
They call me a poet who'll never have a poem
a tiger with no taste for bone
I'm the wonderful wonderful wizard who's waltzing alone

Offline Tantalus

• Bezerk Brawler
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2006, 02:52:27 pm »
Where did anyone talk about constant connections to the server? I don't think any of us mentioned that. Secondly it would need some type of comparative to make sure that it didn't dl a society completely in advance of your own. So if you had just conquered your second solar system there would be no way of meeting up with a galaxy spanning civilization. Now on the other hand it would be fairly nice if you actually met civilizations that compared to you in some way, so if you had control of a spiral arm then you would meet empires of comparative size. Now it might be possible for the computer to generate a fully operating empire of that size and complexity, we don't know. But what we do know is that we can make one for ourselves and its quite likely that human creations would be different possibly better than some proceduraly created empire.

As leng mentioned it may even be that it could dl this empire peacemeal  making it that anything you had not witnessed is just not present. You thought you were attacking a lone outpost of a world, woe to you you didn't explore enough. They were really a colony of a civilization of comparable strength to yours.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2006, 02:54:54 pm by Tantalus »

Offline Leng

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • !?!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2006, 03:07:35 pm »
no i said anything that you hadn't seen or that wasn't RELATED to what you had seen.  so if you meet that little outpost it aught to be decided right then and there whether it was really alone or if it was part of an empire, although there's no reason they have to tell YOU.  the key would be the really relevant things would be determined when they needed to be.  for example, you're portuguese traders reaching india (metaphorically speaking, since we're talking about space, but it could be on a planet) and as you trade with the natives it's determined that there's a big empire farther east and so the natives tell you about it.  it's not yet determined whether this empire is "china" or something totally different, but it's something the natives of india would know so they could tell you about it.  now as you go further along the coast you "learn" more about this empire as you map a coast who's features arent precisely determined until you map them.  then finally you reach this empire and it's a china ruled by japan after this one player managed to conquer it in his own game.  it might have to be determined before you reach it though since it might have dependencies, close relations etc that would tend to exist in relation to this empire and so narrow the range of possibilities.
I have been told
not by one but two of my lovers
that I've got a heart of gold
but I'm unable to share it with others
They call me a poet who'll never have a poem
a tiger with no taste for bone
I'm the wonderful wonderful wizard who's waltzing alone

Offline Tantalus

• Bezerk Brawler
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2006, 03:15:28 pm »
Ah yeah I might have phrased that wrong. I should have said the actual data for the rest of the empire might not be dled yet or if it was wouldn't be constantly running in the background, but if there was some way of finding out if it was attached I agree they should/would tell you.

Offline Lu Yan

• Video Pinball Wizard
  • That's a nice spear! Do you use it to Fish?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2006, 06:49:32 pm »
You know, I'd thought the creatures would be the only thing traded on a server. Building a creature based on little programming is good, but something as big as a system, with multiple planets?

What I got out of it was, creatures would populate planets your game created. Makes downloading much faster and gives you a much bigger wealth of choices too. The Computer could then populate an empire based on a species, when uploaded, was at the tribal stage, giving more choices of species.

And In a tangent though, the size of the galaxy. Could you really conquer it?
Though thats for another topic.

Offline slugfly

• Time Pilot Trekker
    • View Profile
    • SporeFanatic
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2006, 08:52:45 pm »
I"m hoping that you can link together as many things which are under your control as you like.  If you want certain plants and animals to always be together then you should be able to link them as a package.  Likewise with a series of planets...  a series of stars though, might be asking for a bit much.