Author Topic: Expansion packs  (Read 48984 times)

Offline ChristianSkunk

• Astrosmasher!
  • I stink, therefore I am.
    • View Profile
A separate expansion for each editor?  No way.  Wouldn't be able to charge enough to be worth while.  I would love as many parts as I could get, but I wouldn't pay $5 for additional parts for just one editor.  Maybe $20 if you're talking hundreds of parts for each editor (in one expansion).
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day."
"Life is a sexually transmitted disease and the mortality rate is one hundred percent." - R.D. Laing
"It's only by fate that any life ends and only by chance that it is mine, not yours."

Offline Granite T. Rock

• Intellivision Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Granite's Homepage
Then there's the whole pain in the butt of people having to get the expansions just so that they can play with their friend's creature.  I'd rather see no expansions. 
My Spore Profile  ****  My Spore Videos
Wii Friend Code: 7772 0178 1092 3363  Mario Kart Code: 2363-6666-4480 (PM me when you add me)

Offline jov

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
any of you ever play an MMO? do you know what happens when you don't pick up an expansion? you just miss out on most of the expansion's content. but you can still see the gear your friends got. you can still play with them, you just can't venture into the most of the expansion lands.

i'd imagine the same would happen here. don't get the spore expansion? well maybe you can't use this part or that part, but you can still see creatures, buildings, ships with those parts. you just don't get to use them until you pick up the expansion yourself.

i'd much rather see expansions that have extra tools and parts for each editor, kept at a low price, and you can customize your game. do you prefer the creature and vehicle editors? pick up those expansions. want them all? get them all. of course, this is all speculation. i have no idea how expansions will work with this game.

Offline ChristianSkunk

• Astrosmasher!
  • I stink, therefore I am.
    • View Profile
I don't think so, not with the way Spore will work.  Remember, one of the first things Will went on about is how well the objects will compress.  To me, this implies that a creature file would consist of part IDs, locations, modifiers, and such, rather than the complete description of each part.  This means that your copy of Spore would have to have part #99283 to understand how to make a creature it downloaded that used that part.
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day."
"Life is a sexually transmitted disease and the mortality rate is one hundred percent." - R.D. Laing
"It's only by fate that any life ends and only by chance that it is mine, not yours."

Offline Kcronos

• Boulder Dasher
  • The Dark Time Lord
    • View Profile
I think that it would work the same way as the Sims.  If you get an expansion, you go on to a neighboring galaxy...
* Plank of Wood slaps

GET A HOLD OF YOURSELF MAN. THE REVIEWS DO NOT EFFECT ANYTHING EVER.

QFT

Offline Kcronos

• Boulder Dasher
  • The Dark Time Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Expansion Packs You'd Like to See
« Reply #245 on: March 30, 2007, 08:30:54 pm »
How about Spore: Matrix

Or Spore:  The Robot Revolution
* Plank of Wood slaps

QFT

Offline Brutus

• Ice Climber
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: March 31, 2007, 03:40:06 am »
spore under the sea or somthing to that effect is a gauranteed expansion.

as for the others i would love a spore : Medieval where you make castles and infantry and stuff, rather than leaping from tribal to city.

Spore: Empires where you have much much much much more diplomatic options and means and ends, such as slavery and , de militirisations and victory deals and surrender and stuff.
Never mind your own business.

Offline spore

• Microvision Master
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #247 on: March 31, 2007, 06:41:26 pm »
spore : Medieval & Spore: Empires sould good to me, made it more difficult to leave these stages.

Offline Kcronos

• Boulder Dasher
  • The Dark Time Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: March 31, 2007, 06:44:24 pm »
I like the idea of an expansion where instead of a cell you begin as a sprite on a 1980s stylc computer, eating bytes, until you evolve into a robot, hiding from the dominant species (Created by you before hand in an unlimited editor) and eating scrap metal.  Then you attack the organics when you think the time is right, and become dominant species.
* Plank of Wood slaps

QFT

Offline Cow

• Track and Field Jock
  • Rad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: March 31, 2007, 06:57:10 pm »
Viva la revolution de robotos! *Screams Wildly*

Woo! Glad that's out of my system. Darn spanish class.

Anyways good idea!

Offline Luminar

• Gyromite Gyro
  • i'm losin' it
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: April 01, 2007, 12:27:31 pm »
- Space Stations
- Robots and Cyborgs
- Diseases and Virii
- Additional Stages
- "Posession" mode in Tribe/City/Civ stages to see how your civ works from a monster's POV
- Alternate dimensions
- More everything parts
- Crazy sci-fi powers (psychics, firebreath)
- Floating cities

All I can think of right now.

Offline Bona Fide Supraman

• Star Raider
  • Not Super, Supra
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: April 06, 2007, 07:02:46 am »
Won't each of these ideas be too small to be an expansion pack in its own right. I think there should just be "expansion pack 1, expansion pack 2" etc. just full of new stuff you can do.
Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.

Offline GCool

• Robotron Automaton
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: April 06, 2007, 07:44:10 am »
Spacestations are confirmed.

Personally, i'd like to see them done in such a way that the peices needed for the expansion are downloaded straight to your game anyway, but you can only use them if you own the pack. Of course, this could lead to cracking problems, but not if it's done so that only the visual parts are downloaded. I.e. if your computer downloads a creature made with the expansion pack to a world you visit, it would work perfectly, but the coding that allows you to acctually use said peices in your own creatures is only included in the expansion cd/floppydisk.

Then, the expansion CDs themselfs could be done like so; there are several expansion packs, each one with information about what they do etc, but they don't come seperatly. They're released in sets of expansions, so theres alot of choice. You basicly do a pick-and-mix thing, where you get 3 or 4 expansions in one go, for less than the original game. That way you don't need to pay 3 times the ammount of the game just to get, say, 12 peices you really want.

Things i'd like to see? Here;

Spore - Air. Allows you to make air-borne creatures, but not just wings - there would be things such as parachute flaps (allowing your creature to jump from a cliff, or a flying veichal, and float down), spinning limbs (which could act as proppellors, and would pull the creature in the direction they're facing, but only if they are strong enough. Could also be used as weapons with the more evolved peices), and gass chambers (allowing for the creature to become lighter, or even just float above the ground - straight after eating, their effect is dimminished, but after a short time, the gasses from rotting food refill the gass sacks, and this is the only way to do so). There would also be roosting points for flora (where creatures would be able to sleep rightsideup/upsidedown and latching points for vecihals (each one would allow of one grasper/foot to attach, but only for flying creatures. Theese could be used to carry flyers on the outside of a carrier for easy attaking, but would also let enimy flyers attach to the veichal and attack)

Spore - Sea. Allows for the creation of sea creatures, obviously, but has as much if not more diversion as air. Allso allows for 'bubble points' on flora and animals, which create bubbles, allowing for airbreathers to take a quick breath of air. Larger trunk (body) size increases the ammount of air that can be kept in the creature, allwing them to stay under water if they don't have gills.

Spore - Space. Allows for creation of stronger sucction pads, breathing apperatus which uses the creature's own flesh to resperate, anareobic resperation, larger creatures (which, over a cirtain weight, would die on planets with higher gravity), stronger exoskelitons (to survive vaccumes) etc. This obviously allows creatures to live on planets with no atmosphere, but theese peices can only be 'bought' in the UFO stage, allowing you to upgrade your own speicies to live in space. he strength of theese parts deminishes depending on the ammount of time the creature spends in 'normal' atmospheres, and likewise the longer the creature spends in lowgravity/no atmosphere the weaker their limbs/strength becomes. If your creature is made to survive on amasingly high gravity worlds, they become physically stonger, but their defence/body mass becomes alot smaller.
The pack also allows for spacesuits, which can let your creatures leave the UFO and crawl around it's outside as if it were a planet (of course theese arn't needed if they are space-livers), where you may repair physical damage or fight off creatures which have managed to latch on. This can only be done in outer-space, though.

Spore - Virus. Allows you to create microorganisms and nanno-technology in UFO stage, then place it inside other creatures. Whilst inside, you take controll of the organism/robot, the 'layout' of the creature is procedually generated, and the colours used match the blood colour of the creature. There are defencive systems such as whiteblood cells which can be fought. There are points where you can do damage to the creature, but there are also good things you can do, such as repair them, or install nano-bot factories. If the virus/nanobot is used correctly, you can stimulate cold symptoms and the like, which allows for the effects to be passed on to other creatures of the same species. By doing this, you can create a pandemic, or a fast cure, or even a type of nanobot which can make creatures far stronger and powerfull.
If your race are infected, you can send a nanobot into one of your creatures and find the things causing it, then create bots/organisms to fight it.
As well as this, you can use mouths and weapons with venom, and can create new venoms in the UFO stage.

Spore - Myth. Allows you to have creature parts such as fire-breath, icebreath, roars that shake the ground, and the like. In ufo stage, you can add special 'powers' to creatures, such as telikinisis. There are new parts and stuff based off ancient mythology, but no flying or swimming, etc. You can increase creature size to match things such as giant sea serpants. Each of theese parts obviously costs money, and any creature using them is automaticly put very low on the auto-download for other people's planets, and never on starting planets.
This also allows you to perform miricals and the like of tribal creatures, which, if re-inacted to the same species later on, will make them more likley worship you again.

Spore - Kindred. This allows you to add depth to your creatures and their lives. You can create multiple diversions of the same creature (shared evolution), which can be set to live together peacefully, or act 'normally' as they would with other creatures. If one of the diversions is downloaded onto a planet, there is an increased chance that one or more other diversions will also be downloaded to the same planet. You can also create co-dependance between creatures. This can be used between different species or the same species, and has advanced settings. For example, if you had 3 different types of creature, each of them able to live in the same area and with similar properties, but some faster than others, whilst the slower ones are stronger, you could create a union between the group, where faster ones chase prey into traps lay by the stronger ones, or else have all of them work together when attacking. The creatures can have their importance set of different acts such as attacking, feeding, mothering, etc. This could be used to recreate family groups such as lion prides, or to create whole new alien relations.
You can also create superorganisms and colonies, without having to create several diversions, just variations on the same creatures. However, the variations can only use different evolutions of parts allready used, the ammouns of limbs must stay the same, but the size, shape and colours of the creature can change dramaticly. You may also choose to select a 'queen', of which there will only be one per colonie/superorganism, along with an average ammount of each type of creature, within a set max ammount (size of the creature plays a role thin this). colonies/superorganisms are usually downloaded whole.

Other such things would be;

Spore - camo.
Spore - galactic war (including space fleets and deep-space battles, if not allready included)
Spore - arena (a multiplayer expansion, but this acts more like a server-client game, rather than a MMORPG. Each client can given their own planet in a solar system, and make a new creature in a sped-up version of the game, from scratch, then go to war within the solar system, with toned-down space weapons. Or else, you can create a new planet and allow for however many players at once, controlling one of their own creatures and a team of 5 or 6 with them from the start, then fight for survival, using any time period except UFO stage or microbe.)
Spore - hidden and deadly. (Basicly gives you a set of parts which grossly expand when needed, such as small, cute mouths which open into massive cow-devourers. fun for all)

and so on.

Offline Gunner

• Bungeling Bay Raider
  • No Smoking Zone
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: April 06, 2007, 07:46:05 am »
Hmmmm?
I like your idea, GCool.
:O
Also, Gunner is one of the children.
It's true.