Author Topic: Expansion packs  (Read 39988 times)

Offline mrodgers

• Choplifter Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Spore expansions
« Reply #120 on: May 21, 2006, 07:21:20 pm »
if i was incharge of Will Wrights team when they were making an expansion, i would say "i want you to double the number of everything for the expansion, if the original game has 30 of each item in the creature editor, i want the expansion to add another 30, same with everything else, except possibly the ufo tools, if there are 25 ufo tools in the original game, i want the expansion to add another 50 tools!"

I kind of agree... but not 1 for 1 as you suggest.

If the number of component pieces (although I would expect far more than simply components out of an expansion) were as follows:

microbe 20
creature 50
building 100
vehicle 100
UFO 20

Then I would say to add:
microbe 50
creature 50
building 0
vehicle 0
UFO 50

hence evening out the distribution a bit.-

Honestly, I don't see the need to even things out.  I would assume that we will have more parts for the editors we would be using a lot.  For instance, I expect almost none for the microbe relative to the creature or the UFO.  I'd rather see developers spending time on new features and only providing a few new parts here and there.
Check out my (Thurlin's) creatures, building, and vehicles.  You won't be disappointed.

http://www.spore.com/flash/csa_widget.swf?userid=2263477425&username=Thurlin&host=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spore.com%2Fview%2Fuser-thumbnail

Offline slugfly

• Time Pilot Trekker
    • View Profile
    • SporeFanatic
Re: Spore expansions
« Reply #121 on: May 21, 2006, 09:35:29 pm »
if i was incharge of Will Wrights team when they were making an expansion, i would say "i want you to double the number of everything for the expansion, if the original game has 30 of each item in the creature editor, i want the expansion to add another 30, same with everything else, except possibly the ufo tools, if there are 25 ufo tools in the original game, i want the expansion to add another 50 tools!"

I kind of agree... but not 1 for 1 as you suggest.

If the number of component pieces (although I would expect far more than simply components out of an expansion) were as follows:

microbe 20
creature 50
building 100
vehicle 100
UFO 20

Then I would say to add:
microbe 50
creature 50
building 0
vehicle 0
UFO 50

hence evening out the distribution a bit.-

Honestly, I don't see the need to even things out. I would assume that we will have more parts for the editors we would be using a lot. For instance, I expect almost none for the microbe relative to the creature or the UFO. I'd rather see developers spending time on new features and only providing a few new parts here and there.

But what editors would we be using a lot?  I imagine most of us will want the creature editor a lot, but what of those who want buildings?  What of those who want vehicles?  I agree on new features, but my comment on new parts was in reference to the idea of doubling all the existing parts.

Myself, I'd prefer if instead of new parts for existing creations, new creations were added.  Things like (as have already been mentioned ad nauseum) space stations, probes, satellites, other space vehicles, more complex plants (including medicines and poisons), poisons in animals, etc.

Offline Secret|Service

• Rigel Rescuer
  • FOXHOUND
    • View Profile
Spore Expansion Ideas
« Reply #122 on: July 10, 2006, 04:30:26 pm »
During the presentation that Lucy Bradshaw gave at the Fairmont in San Jose and through the various question I've asked about the development of game community and game design, I have some Expansion ideas since the game has a limit to how long it's going to be development.

First, the old style of expansions is basically just a buff up of the game that keeps more than 90-95 percent of the original code. Since Spore is a game with such tremendous concepts, I think it's going to be cool if an expansion of Spore changes the way that scaling works within the game. For example build online communities, creat such enviornements that when a huge bomb blows up somewhere on the other side of the planet, a player can feel it at basic cell level and have an impact to certain degrees. When you are in the tribal level, aliens invade and affect the way your tribe works. More intervention and kaos created either from other players or just from the computer, that will add up to this customization scheme Spore has. The ideas that us humans develop not because we want to, but we adopt to changes in our enviornment.

Also, I like to see inter-gallactic wars with huge fleets moving around, forming a republic center, creating custom boundaries like the such illustrated like the republic government in star wars. The idea of expanding that "Power of Ten" focus so that it's not a power of ten of just the base object at the creation creation level and the civilization level, but more at the social level, and maybe implication of multiplayer enviornments.

Just some ideas I have, obviously, we want more shapes, custom textures, and shapes of various eyes, legs, wings, and other body parts and parts that can be incorperated into a vehichle and buildings.
I'm on a highway to hell.

Offline Bastardman

• Robotron Automaton
  • Dawn of the Final Day (24 hours remain)
    • View Profile
Re: Spore Expansion Ideas
« Reply #123 on: July 10, 2006, 04:34:43 pm »
SPORE: HOT DATE.

Offline Secret|Service

• Rigel Rescuer
  • FOXHOUND
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 10, 2006, 04:35:19 pm »
I'm on a highway to hell.

Offline SpecialBrownies

• Donkey Kong King
  • They look so special!
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 10, 2006, 06:00:06 pm »
SPORE: UNLEASHED
"If you put an infinite amount of monkeys in a room with computers, they would code Spore."

-SpecialBrownies

Offline darkstar

• Vanguard Venturer
  • Cool looking UFO- Priceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 10, 2006, 06:07:56 pm »
I would love to go on and on about the unlimited possibilities for expansion packs to be made for spore.... but....

since the game isn't out yet and we are obviously lacking large chunks of information we can't really be sure the things we are mentioning aren't in the game, and the videos can not be relied on that much for they are not of the final version of the game, its like watching the GDC video and not the e3 ones then suggesting an expansion that lets u make ur civ on a moon or that they should put gas giants in.

We simply do not know enough about the game to think enough about expansions. However once the game is out and I have somehow stopped playing it for a brief moment I (and many others) will probably be right here talking about every expansion idea imaginable (assuming we aren't too busy bragging about our creatures)

So i like ur ideas but for all we know they could already be in the game already.
Those who think anything is possible have never tried slamming a revolving door.

Everything has a weakness against grenades ;)

Current Favorite Game- Spore

Waiting on:
Fallout 3
Starcraft 2

Offline mccarty181

• Tempest Top Dog
  • yes I have a thing for rodents...so what
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 10, 2006, 06:12:08 pm »
well if they are in good if they are not then maybe they will see them here either way keep talking about expansions it can't hurt
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Offline Luminar

• Gyromite Gyro
  • i'm losin' it
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 10, 2006, 06:13:35 pm »
SPORE: MAKIN' MAGIC!

Kidding.
What i'd personally like to see in expansions if they come along is a total focus on features - little raw content. I mean, the purpose of the game is that we make the raw content and thereby save Will's wallet, but by the same turn if expansions just had raw content in it would defeat the purpose and be disappointing. So say.. for expansions, put in things that give us more possibilities to make stuff of.

Spore: Extraordinary Creatures - adds features such as fire breathing, psychics (prays a certain KS doesnt see this post), and other jazz like that.

Spore: Space Colonisation - adds features such as space stations (orbital and deep-space), dyson spheres, artificial/wandering planets, etc.

Offline SpecialBrownies

• Donkey Kong King
  • They look so special!
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 10, 2006, 06:15:13 pm »
Spore: Mammalia

Adds more mammal-life features, like, babies born with no eggs, and more hair. Also adds like, uhhh, more, mammal things...

And of course a ton of new creature/building/vehicle parts.

ANd multiple spines.... and like...

Other stuff.
"If you put an infinite amount of monkeys in a room with computers, they would code Spore."

-SpecialBrownies

Offline Axelgear

• Fooblitzky Fooble
    • View Profile
    • Axel's Playground
« Reply #130 on: July 10, 2006, 06:54:58 pm »
Spore: Mammalia

Adds more mammal-life features, like, babies born with no eggs, and more hair. Also adds like, uhhh, more, mammal things...

And of course a ton of new creature/building/vehicle parts.

ANd multiple spines.... and like...

Other stuff.

Or Marsupia. It'd be neat to carry babies in the pouch, climb trees, be nocturnal, etc.
Axel's Playground - Come see what I'm playing with today.

gec05

« Reply #131 on: July 10, 2006, 09:58:25 pm »
Not to mention more Spline Reticulation and llamas, we all just can't get enough of them. :D

Offline Petreak

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
    • Petreak's Graphics and Stuff!
« Reply #132 on: July 11, 2006, 02:35:16 am »
SPORE: MAKIN' MONEY!

Hehe, which I'm sure, will make tons of whether it has an Expansion or not.
"No matter where you go, there you are."

Offline Bastardman

• Robotron Automaton
  • Dawn of the Final Day (24 hours remain)
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 11, 2006, 10:04:14 am »
Well given that in that other thread Secret|Service told us that attacking with fleets, etc, will likely be an impossibility, and that there won't be much of a focus on actual combat, I'd like to see that developed a bit more in an expansion pack.

Other than that, I don't know, having not played the game yet.

Offline Dragon_Reborn

• Dragster Diehard
    • View Profile
    • AxI Studios
« Reply #134 on: July 11, 2006, 07:14:48 pm »
SPORE: SUPER STAR!

Actually, you can't have expansions or sequels forthat kinda game.
Luke Smith of 1up Yours: "The road the Fanatsy land is paved in virgin's blood."

JOIN AXISTUDIO'S FORUMS!