Author Topic: Expansion packs  (Read 37917 times)

Offline papaboom

• Stargate Superstar
  • ..these go to 11
    • View Profile
Re: Spore expansions
« Reply #75 on: May 17, 2006, 05:47:26 am »
"As for "Spore: Online"... never. Will tried his first multiplayer game with The Sims: Online, and he realized that he doesn't like multiplayer. The kind of games he makes just don't fit multiplayer gameplay. If you had seen all the Spore videos so far and actually listened to what Will was saying, then you would know this already."

Are you going to provide a specific quote or some sort of evidence to support this.. Because I have in fact seen and heard the videos.. And there is nothing to support what you are saying.. Nothing at all MR Smart.

As for them not making an expansion - you sir are naive and understand very little about business.. If this game is a success there WILL be expansions.

werechicken

« Reply #76 on: May 17, 2006, 05:51:06 am »
he might make one where once you've got your race to a certain point you can jump to another online galaxy, probably have to be after an expansion which gives us access to building fleets of ships and space stations

Offline 10la ba 2sik

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 17, 2006, 05:51:44 am »
An expansion is a sure thing.
An online game is something else...WW did said that he won't make spore go online.

Offline mrodgers

• Choplifter Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 17, 2006, 08:13:42 am »
he might make one where once you've got your race to a certain point you can jump to another online galaxy, probably have to be after an expansion which gives us access to building fleets of ships and space stations

That would have a fun expansion but after Sims Online, I am guessing that Maxis isn't too eager to try something similar again.
Check out my (Thurlin's) creatures, building, and vehicles.  You won't be disappointed.

http://www.spore.com/flash/csa_widget.swf?userid=2263477425&username=Thurlin&host=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spore.com%2Fview%2Fuser-thumbnail

Offline Didero

• Turkey Shoot Terminator
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 17, 2006, 09:02:11 am »

That would have a fun expansion but after Sims Online, I am guessing that Maxis isn't too eager to try something similar again.
I think the Sims Online wasn't that good because it's just boring to play the Sims in real-time all the time. There's always a point in the Sims where you want to speed up time, and with TSO that just wasn't possible. But with Spore, I don't see playing together online can be boring that fast, because you can always pick a fight, or trade with each other

Offline Mangerman

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 17, 2006, 09:03:18 am »
As long as there we be only 1 expansion a year I am fine, otherwise I can't keep up with it. :'(
A multitude of rulers is not a good thing. Let there be one ruler, one king.

Offline mrodgers

• Choplifter Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 17, 2006, 09:25:39 am »

I think the Sims Online wasn't that good because it's just boring to play the Sims in real-time all the time. There's always a point in the Sims where you want to speed up time, and with TSO that just wasn't possible. But with Spore, I don't see playing together online can be boring that fast, because you can always pick a fight, or trade with each other

There is also the fact that you probably can't speed up time in Spore anyways.  It doesn't seem like there would be a reason to in any case.
Check out my (Thurlin's) creatures, building, and vehicles.  You won't be disappointed.

http://www.spore.com/flash/csa_widget.swf?userid=2263477425&username=Thurlin&host=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spore.com%2Fview%2Fuser-thumbnail

Offline xcoldcloudx

• Intellivision Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 17, 2006, 05:53:00 pm »
hey I think it will be like the sims kind of (not tons of expansions though) I could see them adding new creature abilities like digging underground. They could also add more parts too. Ohh they could add special expansions made for certain types of animals ex. water creatures, flying creatures, ground creatures, etc. So im pretty sure their will be expansions. ;D

Offline slugfly

• Time Pilot Trekker
    • View Profile
    • SporeFanatic
« Reply #83 on: May 17, 2006, 09:31:17 pm »
but remember that the evolution stage is only one.  What I was getting at in the OP was that an expansion could turn a single stage into an entire game.  No more just going and blasting em with the UFO (although you have that option) you could also unload a hundred ground troops and take the city by storm, then kill everyone and take the buildings for yourself :)  And that's just the interstellar age, they could expand (as an expansion is supposed to do) the evo stage, the tribal stage, the civ stage, etc.

Offline JakeCourtney

• Vanguard Venturer
  • The Godfather
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 17, 2006, 10:02:31 pm »
Obviously Spore is game on a large scale.  There are so many different expansion pack ideas that could be intergrated into the game.  It's really all up to the developers to produce decent ones.  While I don't think Spore will have as many as The Sims franchise, I do believe it will have one or two good ones.

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
  • Do not feed the Giant Gnawling.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 18, 2006, 12:02:27 am »
One big difference betwine The Sims and Spore is that in Spore the players make all the objects. (Not including mods.)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2006, 12:27:58 am by Yokto »
Check out my Creatures.
The Ęthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons
Star Citizen Ref code: STAR-JLJP-LRTC
When you singing up use code and get 5000 credits for free ;)

Offline Golgrig

• Star Castle Cadet
  • I am Will Wright's complete lack of suprise.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 18, 2006, 12:19:40 am »
GRRH!- @$#%# eXplorer error deleted original post
----------------------------------------------------------------------

only criticism i have is for underground creatures/ city: other than cut-away-view, how do you see something underground?
   now as for building down: cliff side like the sinkhole dwellers from Episode III that actually would be cool

for all editors we want more parts and options, no supprise
tribal and civ stages need more RTS like options and play
Space stage needs RTS play already: fleets (independent, single function craft like the tanks/ planes of Civ stage)
     More UFO tools: dropable Planetformers for making a creature compadable environment, Stellarformers for making stars and planets from a template, or forming spacewarps that you can drag and drop (point A to point B, drop warp at point A go to point B and drop at point B)
     NonBiological life: Vacuforms (hardier lifeforms that need no teraforming), Bioformers (seeded by convienient progenators, ), Berserkers (Will has shown an afinity for the drake equation, aggressive self-replicating machines are an explaination for a quiet universe, and also as an villian to make you the hero)
"6.4 Um's per minute" or "The Speed of Wright

An adventurer in the land of who gives a ****

The idea is to mix one ingredient that will burn very fast with a second ingredient that will supply enough oxygen for that burning. This burns so fast, it's an explosion.

Offline 10la ba 2sik

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 18, 2006, 02:23:57 am »
Special ability to the creatur is somethging to expnsion.
tail/skin that gives elctric shok, limbs whit poisn, all kind of jumping(like spiders)...and so on.

Offline mrodgers

• Choplifter Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 18, 2006, 10:43:32 am »

tribal and civ stages need more RTS like options and play
Space stage needs RTS play already: fleets (independent, single function craft like the tanks/ planes of Civ stage)
     More UFO tools: dropable Planetformers for making a creature compadable environment, Stellarformers for making stars and planets from a template, or forming spacewarps that you can drag and drop (point A to point B, drop warp at point A go to point B and drop at point B)

Funny part is though, all of these things might actually be in the game already.  We just don't know yet.  I wouldn't be surprised if you can create a small armada of ships, similar to the vehicles in the city stage for instance.  They wouldn't be under your direct control but could still provide the same level of usefulness. 

Offline Woulfe

• Wizardry Whiz
  • 40 Years Of Pop-culture
    • View Profile
    • Spore Sillyness Site
« Reply #89 on: May 18, 2006, 10:55:22 am »
When I said - Spore : Online - as one of the expansions, it was joke, not to be taken seroiusly, as I know how bad Maxis got burned on The Sims : Online big time, and they allmost got into the poor house over it, EA helped them out of that situation you might say.

All of my expansions were a joke, based purly on the fact that The Sims has 7 expansions & The Sims 2 is going to have 7 when they finish. I hoped folks would see it for the joke it was ment to be and not get into serious disscussion over possible expansions.

Spin-Offs yea, Expansions no, or that's how i'm interpitating Will when he says, going to use parts of Spore for other games.

So it's all speculation at this point.

Woulfe
~ There aren't going to be expansions for Spore, my list was a joke, okay ? ~