Author Topic: Game Maker  (Read 2997 times)

Offline Kyle_1223

• Asteroids Aficionado
  • Was adopted by PatMan33
    • View Profile
Game Maker
« on: April 10, 2006, 10:34:37 pm »
Hello, Me and a friend are going to start making games. We have lots of work with 3DXmaX, Animation, 3D Studio Max and Photoshop. What is some of the good game making programs that will be usefull? I want to get into the game industry, so im taking steve's advice and im going to start making some games.

on a side note, how do i get my avatar's unblocked from the site? I cant see them anymore XD

Offline JakeCourtney

• Vanguard Venturer
  • The Godfather
    • View Profile
Re: Game Maker
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2006, 10:37:14 pm »
Uh, 3d modeling is one small part of it.  You might want to learn some Computer programming languages first.  You will almost certainly need to know C++.  What part of the game industry are you looking to get into?

Offline Kyle_1223

• Asteroids Aficionado
  • Was adopted by PatMan33
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2006, 11:19:20 pm »
Uh, 3d modeling is one small part of it.  You might want to learn some Computer programming languages first.  You will almost certainly need to know C++.  What part of the game industry are you looking to get into?

I'm looking to be artist, work with 3d models and such. I'm "OK" with C++, but still have not masted it. My sister is a electrical engineer, and she taught me.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2006, 11:26:39 pm by Kyle_1223 »

Offline JakeCourtney

• Vanguard Venturer
  • The Godfather
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2006, 07:02:20 am »
If you want to be an artist, then don't focus so much on making games.  Just make stuff for a profolio.

Offline cptrootbeer

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2006, 06:44:14 pm »
Even though I think it would be better if you teamed up with a programmer, you may want to check out torque:
http://www.garagegames.com/

Offline Brutus

• Ice Climber
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2006, 02:11:45 am »
make a prison break game, where your a prisoner and theres been a prison break and you have to get out and then get to your hide out,  or make a game where you a thug man in a riot and you beat up swat people
Never mind your own business.

Offline ElemenoP

• Battlezone Captain
  • All Hail, the mighty glowing geography teacher!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2006, 03:08:36 am »
hmmmmmm....

Gamemaker is actually alot better than alot of people think, its really a very good tool if you register.
http://www.savefile.com/files/184513
HelperBox.  Ensuring a brighter future!
(it's a 9 megabyte movie I made in endorphin. It's pretty funny)

Offline JakeCourtney

• Vanguard Venturer
  • The Godfather
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2006, 03:21:25 pm »
Yeah, Game Maker is pretty powerful if you know how to use it.

Offline OmniOck

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2006, 10:31:49 am »
First out of all the following firsts; Are you sure you have the skill? I mean, do you have a decree, ever made an entire game from scratch?

Taking from Steve's podcast, try to go to job fairs, GDC and if you do mind getting a job by drinking the producer, E3. But if you want your own developing company; FIRST, Get some starting working capital, that you can use to buy software, maybe rent some office space and high end PCs to develop on. Next, go on a search for co-workers, people with experience, who work well with a team and won't let personal problems break down the project. Make sure your co-workers know the objective and are skilled in their field, artist, level design, programmer, computer Patience upkeep. Lastly, find a good publisher. Be careful about selling your self out for less then what your worth! Also, be ready to be bound to the producer's company, which can be annoying and even break the company! Also, think about distributing through Steam, may not be a bad idea!
-----

Common sense makes no sense as it is not commonly used!
( And thanks Alex for the sig!)

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
    • My Digitalart.org profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2006, 10:33:47 am »
Game Maker is good, but it's a slow language. Try making an object that duplicates itself over and over! :P

Offline Borogove

• Venture Conqueror
  • mimsy: adj. - flimsy and miserable :(
    • View Profile
    • Meyermike.com
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2006, 06:12:57 pm »
Flash has become my personal choice for quick game-making.  Though for a largeish project I use C++.  Game Maker seems like a good option for those who aren't ready to do much programming, though I think you'll find it pretty limiting.  BlitzMax might be worth looking into, I've never used it myself but I've heard good things about it.  And if there is a specific genre you are interested in making, there is RPG Maker, Adventure Game Studio, and FPS Creator.

I hope I helped :)
Use those talents you have. You will make it. You will give joy to the world. Take this tip from nature: The woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except those who sang best.
-- Bernard Meltzer

Check out my games:  http://www.meyermike.com

Offline VGRP-Philip

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
    • VG Review Podcast
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2006, 08:28:30 pm »
What would be a good book to learn C# specifically for making games. I've heard from other programmers that it is important to begin programming specifically for games as it is a very different style of programming and a radically different process.
VG Review Podcast - http://www.vgrpodcast.com