Author Topic: How EA could ruin Spore  (Read 10469 times)

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
How EA could ruin Spore
« on: May 12, 2005, 06:27:07 am »
There was a post about E3's info on Spore being behind closed doors... and I started to wonder... what might EA do that could royally f-,er ruin, Spore.

There was a really cool Need For Speed game that was in development for years call Motor City. With the massive success of EverQuest, some rocket scientist decided that Motor City should be a Massive MultiPlayer Online Money Maker. It failed. Details aside, the game never lived up to its potential because of the crippling effect of having to play online.

I look to Guild Wars having the same issue down the road. Required online connectivity. If there was a way around it, I'd be more interested in it.

I fear that Spore might meet the same fate.

Blizzard has online functions, but it is not required. So does Half-Life2/Steam. You don't NEED to be always connected and you CAN play without online connectivity.

I understand the deisre to control pirating, and I'm fine with having to have internet connectivity to install the application, but I sure hope they don't screw it up with some other function that requires connectivity.

I hope this makes sense.
-Lego

Offline craigp

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
    • Perkwiki
Re: How EA could ruin Spore
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2005, 08:03:30 am »
Half-Life2/Steam. You don't NEED to be always connected and you CAN play without online connectivity.
However, you HAVE TO BE connected in order to REGISTER. I CANNOT PLAY HL2 without pirating it. Which is stupid, because I OWN it. But MY copy requires on-line activation, and I'm not on-line with that computer.

-Craig

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2005, 08:35:42 am »
Half-Life2/Steam. You don't NEED to be always connected and you CAN play without online connectivity.
However, you HAVE TO BE connected in order to REGISTER. I CANNOT PLAY HL2 without pirating it. Which is stupid, because I OWN it. But MY copy requires on-line activation, and I'm not on-line with that computer.

-Craig

not to nitpick, the if I recall, on the HL2 box, there was a note that did say on-line connectivity was required.

Offline craigp

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
    • Perkwiki
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2005, 08:57:28 am »
not to nitpick, the if I recall, on the HL2 box, there was a note that did say on-line connectivity was required.
Yeah, right next to the note that said that you could play off-line. I'm just irritated by the steadily rising number of games that require something they DON'T USE FOR GAMEPLAY. It's like buying a sandwich and being unable to eat it in the dark.

-Craig

Offline syphonbyte

• Moon Patroller
  • You know what the payment is...
    • View Profile
    • The Village of Fools
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2005, 10:36:11 am »
Yes, but if you ate the sandwich in the dark you would get mustard all over your shirt.

In other words, they're just trying to protect themselves from pirating and whatnot. And all insults aside, Steam was a pretty good idea.

Offline Demorgora

• Video Pinball Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2005, 10:57:50 am »
In other words, they're just trying to protect themselves from pirating and whatnot. And all insults aside, Steam was a pretty good idea.

No, Steam wasn't a good idea. It made me despise Half-Life 2 immensely.

Offline Pinstar

• Ultima Lord
  • Your friendly neighborhood Teralyte
    • View Profile
    • The Legacy Challenge
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2005, 11:44:43 am »
I doubt spore will REQUIRE online connectivity. However the game will be so much better with it.

As for EA forcing MMO status on the game, I think that is unlikely. This has been Will's child the whole time, and if EA wanted to take the reins away from Will to make it into an MMO, they would have done so already.

Steve- Do you have access to these "closed doors" or know anyone who might have it? Perhaps a few factoids could be leaked here.
Creator of the Legacy Challenge

Visit my spore page!
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Pinstar
Ratings and comments on all my creatures are always welcome!

Visit my Minicity
http://pinstar.myminicity.com

Offline Tr0n

• Dragster Diehard
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2005, 11:44:47 am »
Steam was a good idea implemented foolishly.  The dream of a huge online community and easy-to-find buddies quickly became "Big Brother" and the online delivery system needed lots of work. 

I dunno if EA can screw up Spore too much.  We already know that net connectivity would be required to get the best content with downloadable creatures.  I also think they should have some CD Key verification because Spore isn't your average moneymaker game.  This is Will's baby here, and I betcha he would never release it in any other form than how he envisioned it.  That's just the way I've always seen him.
Hey love crusader, I want to be your space invader
For you I will descend the deepest moon crater
I is more stronger than Darth Vapour
Obey me, I is your new dictator

Offline Stromko

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2005, 01:15:18 pm »
You can't play Half-Life 2 offline, you can play it singleplayer yes, but you need to log into Steam every time you want to start the game. I have the boxed version and that's certainly true for me, if I knew of a version where I didn't have to go through that effing login process each time I'd probably go after it. Also doesn't help they got the idea my CDkey was hijacked and so shut me down until I went through a whole effing process to prove I really did have the key in my possession; couldn't play HL2 for weeks. Maybe all this police-state sh*t is supposed to get us into the theme of the gameworld. ;-)

IMO I don't see why Guildwars couldn't be played offline for some period of time, other than it'd open the way for massive item duping, XP cheats, you name it. Further, the pace of the gameplay and story in Guildwars, in my opinion, wouldn't be decent at all for a singleplayer game. It's not as good as Diablo is what I'm getting at. Granted, if they had designed it as a singleplayer game they may have tweaked it to the extent that it could be fun for long periods as a singleplayer game, but, the game mechanics as they are now really depend upon multiplayer to make it a good game. GW's money model is also what a lot of people have been clamoring for for years, I guess it really depends on your comfort level.. if I'd paid 19.95 for the box and 15 each additional month, I would've saved money because I got bored of GW within a couple weeks. Right now it's 50$ for the game and no fee. But I digress.

One theory I've heard around here is that they could pack tens of thousands of creatures right onto the CD since the creature files will be so tiny, therefore they would be able to attract more customers by not requiring internet connectivity to enjoy the game. I'm sure they won't force you to put your creatures up onto the exchange, and I don't see why they'd force you to have to download creatures. It all comes down to if they decide to follow Steam's example and treat us all like criminals.

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2005, 01:25:19 pm »
Not to drift too far from the thread topic, but there was a way, released about a month or so after HL2 was available, that you could play at a LAN party without internet commectivity, BUT you had to have connected once to make it work and everybody had to have the same version. I've long since stopped playing, but I remember it coming out just after the release the multiplayer.
-Lego

Offline Calqhoon

• Qix Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2005, 01:25:39 pm »
In this day and age, there's almost no place on the planet where internet access is absoloutely impossible. Even the remotest tribes of Borneo get free AOL CDs  ;D

But seriously, I don't know why people whine so much about not having internet access. Spore's "tiny packets of hacker code" are absoloutely ideal for dial-up users (even though net access isn't compulsory for Spore). Not meaning to be too insulting, but there are homeless people who'd be able to afford a dial-up connection hooked up to their cardboard box or whatever.

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2005, 01:29:12 pm »
Many LAN parties I attend do not provide for external internet connectivity. It is an accepted event. The network is issolated. It keeps people playing and not leaching the users connection (plus limits the spread of misc crap is some moron brings a dirty machine.-Lego

Offline Calqhoon

• Qix Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2005, 01:38:02 pm »
It may sound a little simplistic, but in that event couldn't you just unplug the cable? :)

Offline syphonbyte

• Moon Patroller
  • You know what the payment is...
    • View Profile
    • The Village of Fools
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2005, 03:20:34 pm »
I really think Steam could have gone the way of Xbox Live and become really big... unfortunately there are big problems, like the Friends server always being down.

Anyhow, there IS a way to play HL2 without connecting to Steam every time, you have to download something called GCFscape. It's perfectly legal because you still have to verify HL2 and all for it to work.

Offline Calqhoon

• Qix Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2005, 03:52:11 pm »
Ooh. You mean extract all the data from the GCFs and run the game from them? I could never be bothered to wait for them all to extract, although i hear it makes the game run faster. Never knew it meant you could play 100% offline (after verification) though.