Author Topic: Politics in Spore  (Read 2981 times)

Offline stuck

• Robotron Automaton
  • Who is John Galt?
    • View Profile
Politics in Spore
« on: April 10, 2006, 02:34:21 pm »
With all this controversy in stem cell research and whatnot, would it be possible for certain technological advancements in Spore to be protested by your people? In my opinion, this would make getting some advancements harder than just getting the required amount of money. Some mini-games could be tied in to the actual debates or you could choose to finance the project behind the public's back (with a risk, of course). I don't have any idea about a good mission that would turn the people's opinion over, but ideas are welcome. Some especially hard missions would be made for the genetic engineering tech, of course. It would just make getting that ultimate technology so much sweeter.

Another thing that bothered me about the Civ series (I didn't play Civ 4 so excuse me if this was included) was the peace agreements. They were always limited to just stopping the fighting. In this game, it would be a nice touch to add more flexible armistices. For example, you limit the size of their opposing person's army, make sure they don't manufacture weapons, etc.. This is way closer to real world.

Offline sgore

• Marble Madness Maniac
  • Actually, Jeopardy is my second favorite game show
    • View Profile
Re: Politics in Spore
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2006, 02:38:50 pm »
First off, Cool avitar, 2nd off this has been discussed before actually. anyway It probably won't drum up much contraversy in that respect. I think Anyone who doesn't like the consept of evolution will probably not at all go crazy over spore, but also probably won't strike up a huge contraversy over it.
What meme is relevant right now? Look, just imagine I'm riffing on that. Updating signatures is exhausting.

Sam:The Ploofy Master

Offline stuck

• Robotron Automaton
  • Who is John Galt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2006, 02:44:37 pm »
First off, Cool avitar, 2nd off this has been discussed before actually. anyway It probably won't drum up much contraversy in that respect. I think Anyone who doesn't like the consept of evolution will probably not at all go crazy over spore, but also probably won't strike up a huge contraversy over it.
Politics in Spore not of Spore

Offline JakeCourtney

• Vanguard Venturer
  • The Godfather
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2006, 03:44:55 pm »
I don't think it will happen, I'm not sure I would want it anyway.

Offline Fobok

• Fishing Derby Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2006, 04:38:11 pm »
The presentation did mention that they'd include the best 20% of SimCity and Civilization. Well, in both those games you had to make choices that could lower the happiness of your people, in other words something very unpopular, but give you other advantages. Trying to balance those other advantages without losing too much support is part of the challenge of both games, and I imagine there will probably be something similar in Spore.

Offline jpdorgan

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2006, 04:41:59 pm »
It seem that throughout most of the game, you will be a god-like creature (or at least the hand of evolution.) 

As you get into the ufo portion, it seems that you seem to just represent the overall will of your people. Therefore, it will be impossible to go against the will of your people since you are the people personified. 

I don't know if I made much sense there.

Be kind this is my first post...

Offline lxix

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2006, 05:30:03 pm »
I understand you exactly, though I'm not sure Politics still couldn't be involved. If you are 'guiding' their social developement, do they still not formulate their own ways (morals and opinions)? For instance, you give them a spear with which they can elect to hunt, defend or attack. Better yet, it could become a sport, forging a new way of thinking. If the AI is capable of adaptation, then I could see my race putting down their weapons (ending years of war and death) and attempting to overthrow an unwilling Government. Civil wars, assasinations and uprisings could add a whole new way of making sure the populace is happy. It has merit, but can it be tied in with Spores' other workings?

Offline Leng

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • !?!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2006, 05:57:01 pm »
are you sure the tech WOULD be advantageous?  maybe a stem cell in a lab somewhere mutates and grows and GROWS and then you have a minigame with little tiny tanks and helicopters futilely attacking the giant blob monster.  or the religious fundamentalists go up in arms over just one more foray into God's Green Acres and you have a civil war.  how it could work is this.  you have some guys sitting around a table on a daytime talk show.  or if you have a totalitarian government they're in a bunker 1000 feet below ground at an undisclosed location.  these guys are debating stem cell research and you decide which of several opinions to take on it.  at minimum there would be three: for, against, moderate.  and then you would have to argue your case to the other guys. 
I have been told
not by one but two of my lovers
that I've got a heart of gold
but I'm unable to share it with others
They call me a poet who'll never have a poem
a tiger with no taste for bone
I'm the wonderful wonderful wizard who's waltzing alone

Offline slugfly

• Time Pilot Trekker
    • View Profile
    • SporeFanatic
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2006, 09:38:11 pm »
1)  This will NEVER happen in spore or expansions

2)  This should happen in spore...  this would be such an awesome addition.  However this would place a huge amount of weight on the civilization aspect.   But then again, if the game is supposed to be multi-genre then having this weight in the civ aspect would be great.  It would be the equivelent of having natural selection pressures in the evo-stage.  And, depending on how you raise your creatures out of the tribal stages they would protest and rebel against different technologies.  A very bright colored warrior species would protest against adaptive camouflage and defenses, a race that has evolved very little physically (maybe) would protest against engineering, a race that is very successful physically might protest against mechanical enhancements, prosthetics and implants.

It's an awesome idea...  :(   but I have great confidence unfortunately, in my first statement.

Offline Samog

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • objectivists are dumb
    • View Profile
    • -
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2006, 11:06:37 am »
Alert!
If you continue construction of this vehicle, your cities will rebel!
Details: This vehicle has a speed value of 7. Your creature has four legs.
"Fine. Don't believe me. I'm not lying. all your laziness which you mistake for something funney is driving me insane, quit fooling around!  dude this is just wrong, very wrong. reality does not consist of constrained language. go lock this thread malt. I love the payment."4MOD

Offline Leng

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • !?!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2006, 02:22:50 pm »
hmmm, increased cost of research?

massive unrest if the public ever found out, possibly leading to government collapse?

it all balances out.
I have been told
not by one but two of my lovers
that I've got a heart of gold
but I'm unable to share it with others
They call me a poet who'll never have a poem
a tiger with no taste for bone
I'm the wonderful wonderful wizard who's waltzing alone

Offline Mr. Consideration

• Goddess of Phobos
  • Merry Christmarx, one and all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2006, 07:48:14 am »
Lol, even if it was in spore, whats to stop you doing it in secret like a black project, who knows what the US government is working on, they probely are already doing illegal human cloning and stem cell research. :P
*hums X-files Theme Tune*
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Yes, I am aware of the irony.

Offline jarnomiedema

• Wizard of Wor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2006, 09:56:38 am »
Personally, I hope that the political/social engineering options in Spore are similar to that of Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri, where you could choose the following options:

• Politics:
  • Frontier (basic)
  • Police State
  • Democratic
  • Fundamentalist
  • Economics:
  • Simple (basic)
  • Free Market
  • Planned
  • Green
  • Values:
  • Survival (basic)
  • Power
  • Knowledge
  • Wealth
  • Future Society:
  • None (basic)
  • Cybernetic
  • Eudaimonic
  • Thought Control

All these different choices would give you certain benefits and drawbacks and, as far as I'm concerned, it was one of the things that made that game so enjoyable..

For Spore, I hope the development team will look at Alpha Centauri and take some inspiration from it..

Offline Tantalus

• Bezerk Brawler
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2006, 12:32:08 pm »
Its my hope that they will be chosen based on how you act in the city stage or one of the stages, like how logical/emotional they are in the tribal stage