Author Topic: When shall spore be at E3?  (Read 10610 times)

Offline Tr0n

• Dragster Diehard
    • View Profile
Re: When shall spore be at E3?
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2005, 04:48:53 pm »
If you read interviews with Will, you find that he makes good games and he has been in the industry enough to know about when a good release date is and whether it is obtainable.  He even mentioned that The Sims 2 was done a good year before it was released.  The other year was spent building content.  The whole point of his GDC speech was about the content creation process and how long and expensive it is.  This is the whole idea behind Spore.  It's just hard for me to imagine, sine he's using MATH to do the work for him, that the game isn't feature-locked by this point.  I mean, math either works or it doesn't, and unless he's showing an exception in his GDC speech (his creature was the only one that worked and everything else generated is bugged), and given the AMOUNT of the game shown, I am having a hard time thinking that the game is any more than 6-9 months away from release.
Hey love crusader, I want to be your space invader
For you I will descend the deepest moon crater
I is more stronger than Darth Vapour
Obey me, I is your new dictator

Offline Pepboy

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2005, 07:44:01 pm »
Maybe WW knows his game will blow B&W2 out of the water, so he's letting Peter have one last spot in the limelight  ;)

(Just kidding, I know, different genres and its probably not even WW's decision).

Offline Pinstar

• Ultima Lord
  • Your friendly neighborhood Teralyte
    • View Profile
    • The Legacy Challenge
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2005, 09:14:39 pm »
While Will is the kinda guy that would love to see Peter's game do very well, I doubt he is putting off the release for that exact purpose.
Creator of the Legacy Challenge

Visit my spore page!
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Pinstar
Ratings and comments on all my creatures are always welcome!

Visit my Minicity
http://pinstar.myminicity.com

Wulf

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2005, 10:25:19 pm »
From the things I hear of Will he is a gamer before a business man. He probally pushed for ages to get his project shown at GDC to let everyone know how cool and hip with it he is. I would. So just because it looked good doesn't mean it's anywhere near done. For starters, sound does take a long while to make. Balancing will probally be a huge issue still aswel. Meh.

Offline xcoldcloudx

• Intellivision Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2005, 05:31:44 am »
yeah sound does take awhile. :( think hes proablly just adding on more features for the game and balancing everything out to make 1 fantastic game.

Offline syphonbyte

• Moon Patroller
  • You know what the payment is...
    • View Profile
    • The Village of Fools
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2005, 07:05:50 am »
Unless the sound is procedurally generated, which it will be. That doesn't really take quite as long. Of course, writing the algorithms and whatnot would take a long time, but hopefully not as long.

Offline Tr0n

• Dragster Diehard
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2005, 09:55:58 am »
I would say (given sound being procedurally generated), that Will has a boatload of balancing to do.... But, I'll just hold on any further speculation until after E3, when the leaks come through.

Offline Sub

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • End is tough.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2005, 03:26:54 pm »
I'd rather them release a great game in a year or two from now compared to them releasing a game not done in 6-7 months..

Offline xcoldcloudx

• Intellivision Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2005, 03:58:05 pm »
that is true sub though i wish it was done now and complete. Though i definetly dont want to him screw up the game and all. i just wish it was complete. Oh yeah anyone that hasnt voted on my poll please do.

Offline Tr0n

• Dragster Diehard
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2005, 07:49:35 pm »
Oh... I didn't mean to release it when it's not done.  I was just making a guess as to when it would be done.  LIke I said before, there are several games ot keep me occupied until halfway into next year, so Spore needs to be out when it's done, not when it'll make the most money (because if it's done right, it will naturally make the most money)

Offline Tarious

• Adventure Ace
  • FINISH HIM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2005, 07:32:49 pm »
About the Half-life 2 delay
You got to remember that the company got hacked that one time and that set em back, and when they first showed it, it was jsut a demo of a few things.

1 thing about Spore is that i remember Steve saying in the Podcast 5 that some of the developers had said they've been working on Spore for a few years, which is kind of a good sign, and hopefully the sound and music was the only noncompleted thing besides a few bugs.

Wulf

« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2005, 04:36:13 am »
Unless the sound is procedurally generated, which it will be. That doesn't really take quite as long. Of course, writing the algorithms and whatnot would take a long time, but hopefully not as long.
What? What? Where the hell did you hear this? You are insane.

Offline syphonbyte

• Moon Patroller
  • You know what the payment is...
    • View Profile
    • The Village of Fools
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2005, 06:49:12 am »
I'm not insane... I'm pretty sure they'll be doing the sound procedurally... knowing Will and the demoscene they'll certainly try at least. The algorithms would take a while to write, but once they're perfected they could generate any sound for a creature. I don't know about the music, that would probably be prerecorded.

Wulf

« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2005, 07:47:45 am »
But the point is that there is no reason to do the sound procedurally. There is no point in doing anything procedrally unless it fits into a specific goal ie. the small creature files for massive servers.

Offline Pepboy

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2005, 07:52:29 am »
Um in this case it might fulfill a specific purpose; i.e. to help make your creatures unique.  If every creature I make sounds the same it would get annoying fast.  And if you create a huge library of creature sounds, then thats a lot of content that needs to be added (which from what I understand he is trying to avoid).