Author Topic: When shall spore be at E3?  (Read 10511 times)

Offline kolpo

• Lunar Lander Leader
    • View Profile
When shall spore be at E3?
« on: May 12, 2005, 04:25:22 am »
Does anyone known when spore information shall be released at E3? Shall will wright himself do it or someone else?

I hope we get soon more information, maybe even a release date. Thought I don't know what the average time is between announcement of a game and it's release at maxis.

Offline Gil

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
Re: When shall spore be at E3?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2005, 04:40:49 am »
Gamespot : Among the all-new titles will be Will Wright's "everything simulation" Spore, which will be shown behind closed doors

closed doors...

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2005, 06:55:57 am »
Yeah, that could mean a lot of things. But it probably means:

1) EA will allow only a few details about the game to be released.
2) The game isn't going to be coming out this year (otherwise they would show it off like crazy).
3) Info on the game this year will be limited.

I know that this is not necessarily what you guys want to hear, but it has been my experience that "behind closed doors" means that they are showing off a game which they are announcing (or not announcing) but are not ready to release yet.

Now this isn't always 100% true (the last two GTA games and Max Payne 2 were behind closed doors but released shortly after), but I would say it is true around 98% of the time...
Check out Gaming Steve on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/thegamingsteve

Offline kolpo

• Lunar Lander Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2005, 11:09:12 am »
Yeah, that could mean a lot of things. But it probably means:

1) EA will allow only a few details about the game to be released.
2) The game isn't going to be coming out this year (otherwise they would show it off like crazy).
3) Info on the game this year will be limited.

I know that this is not necessarily what you guys want to hear, but it has been my experience that "behind closed doors" means that they are showing off a game which they are announcing (or not announcing) but are not ready to release yet.

Now this isn't always 100% true (the last two GTA games and Max Payne 2 were behind closed doors but released shortly after), but I would say it is true around 98% of the time...

Yes, I fear that a E3 presentation close to release would be an open high profile E3 presentation :(
« Last Edit: May 12, 2005, 02:07:05 pm by kolpo »

Offline craigp

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
    • Perkwiki
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2005, 11:14:53 am »
You know, I really don't think it's more than six-seven months from release. It looked just about DONE.

I can't decide if it's more likely that the game is still a long way off or that EA is just totally screwing up on the exposure.

Maybe there's a long post-production phase? Building content? Checking, double-checking, and triple-checking balance?

-Craig

Offline Pinstar

• Ultima Lord
  • Your friendly neighborhood Teralyte
    • View Profile
    • The Legacy Challenge
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2005, 11:38:11 am »
Well poopie... I was kinda hoping for a 2005 release. Well we can always hope that 2% part is true. After all, GTA and max payne were good successes.

How many other big EA releases are there at E3? Maybe EA has so many titles they can't dedicate open-doors fanfare to Spore. (Since the game IS more of Will's game than EA's, it might not get the hype that mainstream EA games do)

We can only hope.
Creator of the Legacy Challenge

Visit my spore page!
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Pinstar
Ratings and comments on all my creatures are always welcome!

Visit my Minicity
http://pinstar.myminicity.com

Offline Tr0n

• Dragster Diehard
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2005, 11:40:20 am »
2nd half 2005 should provide us with enough to keep our minds off of Spore, or at least for me.  Hopefully Spore will have a beta phase (maybe they'll bring a few folks on so they can bug test the game while generating new content).  Here's hoping that they let us fans in as well and don't keep it in house.
Hey love crusader, I want to be your space invader
For you I will descend the deepest moon crater
I is more stronger than Darth Vapour
Obey me, I is your new dictator

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2005, 11:48:01 am »
I was thinking about it a bit more and the only other "big" game that EA had behind closed doors last year was "Def Jam Fight For NY", but they did have posters and such for that game. They also announced the release date at E3, so all hope is not lost.

On the other hand, in 2003 The Sims 2 was behind closed doors while in 2004 it was on the floor (and they were advertising it like crazy in their booth). I will be able to tell a lot more when I'm actually at E3 next week. If they are advertising Spore in their booth and it's behind closed doors then it is most likely coming out semi-soon. But if there little to no advertising for Spore and it's behind closed doors it will be released in 2006 (after next year's E3).

The main reason I am saying this is that the main purpose of E3 is to show off the games to not only the press but to the various industry buyers (EB Games, Staples, Toys R Us, Amazon, Best Buy, etc.). These buyers view the games and then make their own decisions as to how many to order when they are first released (i.e. if the buyer sees a game and they like what they see they might order a larger initial shipment, or smaller if they don't like what they see). By not showing off Spore in their main booth they aren't going to attract as many buyers (who don't have time to attend a million closed door meetings, hence the reasons for the booths in the first place). So I would figure that Spore might released next year from just this little bit of info.

Then again ... who knows. Again, I'll be able to find out a lot more next week.
Check out Gaming Steve on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/thegamingsteve

Offline Pinstar

• Ultima Lord
  • Your friendly neighborhood Teralyte
    • View Profile
    • The Legacy Challenge
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2005, 11:51:18 am »
I think you're right steve. On Gamespot's review of all the games and titles that they are showing off at E3, the mention Spore at the very begining of the article. But at the bottom of the article where they list off ALL the titles that they'll be showing off...spore is not one of them.

At least we'll probibly know how long we can expect to wait. Will is much better at sticking to release dates than Molynoux.
Creator of the Legacy Challenge

Visit my spore page!
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Pinstar
Ratings and comments on all my creatures are always welcome!

Visit my Minicity
http://pinstar.myminicity.com

Offline Tr0n

• Dragster Diehard
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2005, 11:55:57 am »
My bet goes on being released semi-soon, as Will Wright has already shown it at GDC.  It's not like it's a complete secret and since Steve commented on the "completeness" of the game, it wouldn't make financial sense to release it after the holiday season if it's already done by that time.  Plus, someone's gotta counter Black and White 2 :).
Hey love crusader, I want to be your space invader
For you I will descend the deepest moon crater
I is more stronger than Darth Vapour
Obey me, I is your new dictator

Offline sgore

• SunDog Pilot
  • Actually, Jeopardy is my second favorite game show
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2005, 02:58:47 pm »
If we don't get more info soon though... I may Explode from anticipation. What a way to go. Dying for a video game. lol.
What meme is relevant right now? Look, just imagine I'm riffing on that. Updating signatures is exhausting.

Sam:The Ploofy Master

Offline syphonbyte

• Moon Patroller
  • You know what the payment is...
    • View Profile
    • The Village of Fools
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2005, 03:24:28 pm »
Half-Life 2 was shown behind closed doors in 2003, and it looked like it was almost done back then.

Uh oh.

Offline Calqhoon

• Qix Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2005, 03:56:16 pm »
I can't wait for the rumour mill to start work on spore the way it does for any anticipated game.

Plus I want a race of sentient headcrabs.

Offline xcoldcloudx

• Intellivision Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2005, 04:23:32 pm »
im going to explode with anticipation too :o. I think it may be this year(just a guess) because when he showed the demo i thought it sounded pretty much done. So im hoping its this year though the chances arent very high.

Offline Calqhoon

• Qix Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2005, 04:30:27 pm »
Is Will a perfectionist? Opinions, anyone? I suppose it would help us gauge a release date. of course, it also depends how many more features they want to include before release!