Author Topic: Serenity  (Read 9599 times)

Offline Cruithne

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
    • Liquorice Bomb
Re: Serenity
« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2006, 05:47:26 am »
I think the term you are looking for is Viral Marketing, though it ought to be pointed out that it failed pretty miserably in the case of Serenity.
Here you have a class A product, miles better than anything similar on the market, and it fails.So much for Viral Marketing.

I overheard this on the dreamstationCC podcst.

Viral Marketing doesn't work, tell all your friends.

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 22, 2006, 11:56:46 am »
Actually it was one of the greatest successes of the viral marketing method that's ever been used by the entertainment business to date.

Offline Cruithne

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
    • Liquorice Bomb
« Reply #47 on: April 22, 2006, 01:35:35 pm »
I think I can safely say that what we have here is a disagreement.

:P

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 22, 2006, 02:57:07 pm »
I think I can safely say that what we have here is a disagreement.
 :P

Well okay, can you give me an example of a better one? If I'm wrong, I'd rather be corrected.

Offline Cruithne

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
    • Liquorice Bomb
« Reply #49 on: April 22, 2006, 06:03:24 pm »
Blair Witch Project springs to mind.

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 22, 2006, 06:21:13 pm »

I stand corrected. :) Should have thought of that, really - it's one of the prime examples.

However, I would still maintain that Universal's strategy for Serenity paid off. The box office takings almost covered the production costs, which was unexpected. This means that profits from the DVDs will go straight to Universal's pockets. Add to that the fact that the sort of people who are likely to want to see Serenity are the sort of people who are more likely to buy the DVD, and you have a success on your hands. Let's be honest - would you have gone to see the film if you hadn't heard of it through the marketing campaign? It was such a small movie there would be absolutely no way that they could have afforded a traditional marketing campaign, which would have cost more than the entire budget under the viral scheme.

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 23, 2006, 11:34:27 pm »
True, but it sort of became famous due to the fact that people believed it was a real tape of real people searching for the Blair Witch. Which of course it wasn't. All the same, it makes me a tad upset that a piece of utter shlock like that was so much more universally successful than Serenity.