Author Topic: Serenity  (Read 9763 times)

Offline T-BirD

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Serenity
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2005, 12:42:16 pm »
Just watched Serenity last night and loved it!  The effects look so realistic :)

***SPOILER WARNING***

It's weird how it played out - like they expected the movie to not do well enough to warrant a sequel or a reviving of the franchise - tho it's still possible, albeit with a slightly different story direction.

...especially what happened with the cast composition....that was really unexpected to me (copy paste this somewhere to read it if you have difficulties)

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2006, 05:54:11 am »
Batman Begins was the best film of the year, by a long way.

Well, it was certainly the best Batman film by a long way, but I have to say that it wasn't even in my top five as far as best movies of the year is concerned.
I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

I still like the 80's originals with Michael Keaton, it went downhill after "forever" though.

On a side note, dont listen to this Jack Garner guy, the Producers, Batman begins and (from what ive heard) Serenity are all great.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Tal

• Rigel Rescuer
  • Farm boy
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2006, 09:10:57 am »
Well, I bought the Serenity DVD, and it's awesome. The movie itself is very satisfying to me as a Firefly fan, but stands on it's own two legs as a movie. Besides that, the whole thing is very funny. Listening carefully, I heard some gems in the dialouge that still crack me up. The visual effects are very good, better than the show. I had forgotten how frightening the Reavers are. They're sort of the equivalent of zombies in space if you think about it...

*Spoiler alert!!!*
Like zombies, Reavers are innocent in their own way. Zombies eat people because of some uncontrollable reason, while Reavers are the way they are because of what the Alliance did. Technically, they're not really evil or murderous, because it's not by choice that they do what they do.
*End spoiler alert!!!*
There are some things mankind was not meant to know...

"If you can't take the heat, get off the car hood." -Bucky Katt

Offline Cruithne

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
    • Liquorice Bomb
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2006, 09:38:05 am »
Slightly off topic

Nah, I never got the earlier Batman films, even though I do like Michael Keaton in the role, cos the films were focussed too heavily on the villain.
BTW, the first animated movie Batman:Mask of the Phantasm is pretty fantastic as well.

Back to Serenity.

It was my favourite film of last year, but if I really had to pick some flaws it would be two things.
One, the Reavers were built up so much through the TV series and the film, that by the time they were revealed they were nowhere near as scary as my imagination of them.
Two, at the end of the day, River turns out to beSpace Buffy a teenage wunderkid with awseome fighting ability..............(been there, done that,and so have you Josh)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2006, 09:39:53 am by Cruithne »

Offline Sander Scamper

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2006, 06:45:15 am »
He mentions that in the DVD commentary (hell, Gaming Steve has probably ripped it and listened to it by now =p). Personally, I have absolutely no problem with it and I think it does work in the context of the how and River's back story.
The reason I hate/Boycott Sony: "Most people, I think, don't even know what a Rootkit is, so why should they care about it?"

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2006, 08:56:42 pm »
I got the DVD like a few days after release in australia so a few weeks ago now I was going to mention here but forgot loved the movie all over again. I'll have to go through all the DVD extras seen some of them got a few to go though.

Offline carcajou

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2006, 01:39:57 pm »
Absolutely one great SF movie. Not pretentious, good story, good action. It was like a good SF franco-belgium «bande dessinée» if anyone knows what i'm talking about. Bring on more like that!

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
  • tastes just like chicken
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2006, 02:26:08 pm »
I quote the comic book guy from The Simpsons: "Worst, movie, ever"

Just my opinion. What do you think?

Next time do a search: http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=1300.0 Merged.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2006, 02:27:50 pm by Oviraptor »

Offline SmileyMan

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2006, 02:36:19 pm »
Yes sar.

Offline deku12345

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2006, 06:46:03 pm »
I saw the movie the day it came out in theaters.  Then immediately went and got the complete Firefly series on DVD.  Its definately my favorite show of all time and the movie does jutsice to it.

I find it amazing that a cancelled show managed to get turned into a major motion picture.  That kind of thing just doesn't happen.

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2006, 12:01:49 pm »
Did I mention I had to write an essay on Serenity's marketing strategy for my course?

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2006, 06:27:09 am »
I've avoided posting on this topic, mostly because I thought Firefly was the greatest TV series ever created. And it's difficult to discuss it without getting furious with FOX for their treatment of the show or how they're makings tons of money off the DVD set. I've boycotted that network forever and will never watch another show on it. I don't care if it's the second coming, I won't waste my time providing revenue to a group so pathetic and miserable again. They got me with the DVD set. That's all they'll ever get. I hope that network collapses.

The movie was fantastic, but its two hours pale in comparison to the joy I would have had from seeing the series continue. If nothing else, it just teased me with the potential the series had and utlimately was never able to achieve due to those corporate hacks at FOX. I liked Joss's other shows, particularly Buffy (even with its weak fourth and sixth seasons), but Firefly was an epiphany of goodness and imagination. I had no clue how much that show would grip me and never let go. I still watch the episodes routinely simply because all other shows allowed to continue on are a mockery to its brilliance.

Offline Behumat

• Joust Warrior
  • Coruscant committee to fight urban sprawl
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2006, 01:26:48 pm »
Hmmm, I thought the sci-fi network owned the rights to it now. Oh well. I still don't have the Serenity DVD, though I hear that now its coming out on HD.

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2006, 01:40:08 pm »
Hmmm, I thought the sci-fi network owned the rights to it now. Oh well. I still don't have the Serenity DVD, though I hear that now its coming out on HD.
Sci-Fi is allowed to broadcast all the episodes, but the final rights to the show reside at FOX, so they still get royalties for every DVD set of it they sell. And yes, the fiilm is lined up to be either the first or one of the first on the new format, so yeah....good on them. If only HD-DVD was going to win.

Offline Mr. Consideration

• Goddess of Phobos
  • Merry Christmarx, one and all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2006, 03:39:43 am »
Serenity used word of mouth techniques to market itself. It has a name which if forgot.

It was a good film, but hard to get into, and i wasn't keen on the ending. I Liked the universe it was set in though, very cool. I loved the Reavers.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Yes, I am aware of the irony.