Author Topic: Serenity  (Read 9593 times)

Offline Beomoose

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Serpents
Serenity
« on: October 03, 2005, 09:56:41 am »
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0379786/
I loved this movie. I lved it so much I saw it TWICE in one weekend, something I haven't done since, well, ever. Go see, go see it soon! Tell your friends and Family to go see it. Tell anyone you know thats ever considered sitting outside Skywalker Ranch holding a "Give me back my money, Lucas" sign to go see it. Go now!

With Your Shield, Or On it.

Offline lemurbouy

• Defender Devotee
  • oh my...
    • View Profile
    • Leeman's Livejournal!
Re: Serenity
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2005, 02:28:39 pm »
Very good.  Better if you've seen the show at all but still very good.  Shows what happens when good sci-fi meets good writing.  Almost as good as David Lynch's Dune but that had Sting so it's unfair to compare the two. -leeman

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2005, 09:47:00 pm »
I bought the Firefly a week ago so I can watch all the episodes before I see the film. I have only seen about 3 or so episodes on TV it was on like 1am I wasn't staying up so late. I got a 2 for 1 movie pass with it now I just need someone to take with me.

I may have to watch the dvd of the episodes of firefly another 3 times though because I'm loving them so much. It's really hard to make my self space them out instead of watching them in one day.

*sings* The story of a hero a man the called Jayne.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2005, 09:50:35 pm by Cobra »

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2005, 05:37:54 pm »
Jayne: "Do you know what the chain of command is here? It's the chain I go get and beat you with to show you who's in ruttin' command."

---------------------

Alliance Commander: "You fought with Captain Reynolds in the war?"

Zoe: "Fought with a lot of people in the war."

Alliance Commander: "And your husband?"

Zoe: "Fight with him sometimes, too."

Offline Tal

• Rigel Rescuer
  • Farm boy
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2005, 05:53:53 pm »
This movie was simply brilliant. I loved it all. Seeing the series helped, but the movie stood on it's own two legs. The comedy, by the way, is spot-on. Jewel Staite delivers the funniest lines I've heard in any sci-fi movie ever. Also, remember that this is coming from a guy who started watching the series on Sci-Fi, long afer the cancellation. Hell, I haven't even seen all the episodes! I love this series, however, and will continue to like it. Here's hoping for it to get back on TV or for some more movies!

"I swallowed a bug!"
There are some things mankind was not meant to know...

"If you can't take the heat, get off the car hood." -Bucky Katt

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2005, 06:04:34 pm »
One more quote since a lot of peole miss this one during the show...

Mal: "So, she's added cussing and hurling about of things to her repertoire. She really is a prodigy."

Simon: "It's just a bad day."

Mal: "No, a bad day is when someone's yellin' spooks the cattle. Understand? You ever see cattle stampede when they got no place to run? It's kind of like a...a meat grinder. And it'll lose us half the herd."

Simon: "She hasn't gone anywhere near the cattle."

Mal: "No, but in case you hadn't noticed, her voice kinda carries. We're two miles above ground and they can probably hear her down there. Soon as we unload, she can holler until our ears bleed." (to River) "Although I would take it as a kindness if she didn't."

River: "The human body can be drained of blood in 8.6 seconds given adequate vacuuming systems."

Mal:  (to Simon) "See, morbid and creepifying, I got no problem with, long as she does it quiet-like."

Offline Cobra

• People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2005, 10:27:12 pm »
Accordign to the dvd episode booklet thingy Simon is spelt Summon for which is strange to me anyway.

Summon: I'm sorry Cap't Didn't want to give away your carefully hidden herd of cattle.

Offline Danzik

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2005, 04:06:39 am »
Really good movie.  I still think the episodes were better than the movie.  Recommend seeing them before the movie since ALOT of things happen to close out the series.  Too bad it was cancelled.
Great casting, great writing and really good sci-fi.
BTW, did you know Josh Whedon also did part of the screenplay for Toy Story?  He's also writing for Wonder Woman.

Offline Cobra

• People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2005, 02:28:16 am »
Yeah I did know Joss did that.

Offline Osama_Bin_Shot

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2005, 02:06:00 pm »
I loved this movie too.  Finally a science fiction movie that isn't a star wars rip off.

Offline GameManic

• Dragster Diehard
  • I can't let you leave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2005, 03:31:00 pm »
I though it was really good.
"Listen, I mean that from my knowledge of the world that I see around me, I think that it is much more likely that the reports of flying saucers are the results of the known irrational characteristics of terrestrial intelligence than of the unknown rational efforts of extra-terrestrial intelligence."
-Richard Feynman

Offline Cobra

• People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2005, 09:04:11 pm »
Finally saw Serenity Yesterday can't believe I took this long to go see it.  I loved it

*Huge Spoiler Huge run away if havent seen it yet run I say you have been warned!*

They Killed wash! OMFG

*end of spoiler section*
« Last Edit: October 20, 2005, 09:16:33 pm by Cobra »

Offline dino

• Atari Combat Vet
  • Shnoob.
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2005, 09:29:34 pm »
Haven't seen the show, but I quite liked the film. :)
Favorite games of all time:
1. Half-Life 2
2. Half-Life
3. Homeworld 2

F.E.A.R. pending for 2nd place.

Offline sgore

• SunDog Pilot
  • Actually, Jeopardy is my second favorite game show
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2005, 08:18:50 pm »
My only experiance with Serenity:
Frank: Serenity now! Serenity now!
George: What is that?
Frank: Doctor gave me a relaxation cassette. When my blood pressure gets too high, the man on the tape tells me to say, 'Serenity now!'
George: Are you supposed to yell it?
Frank: The man on the tape wasn't specific.

Actual thing sounds intresting, but i can't stop thinking about the seinfield thing whenever i hear it.
What meme is relevant right now? Look, just imagine I'm riffing on that. Updating signatures is exhausting.

Sam:The Ploofy Master

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2005, 12:43:03 pm »
My only experiance with Serenity:
Frank: Serenity now! Serenity now!
George: What is that?
Frank: Doctor gave me a relaxation cassette. When my blood pressure gets too high, the man on the tape tells me to say, 'Serenity now!'
George: Are you supposed to yell it?
Frank: The man on the tape wasn't specific.

Actual thing sounds intresting, but i can't stop thinking about the seinfield thing whenever i hear it.

Actually thats exactly what I was thinking when I see that word. Serenity now!!  :D

Offline Cobra

• People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2005, 11:49:09 pm »
If your australian you can through in.

"Hows the Serenity."

Pines for more from the Firefly series.

Offline T-BirD

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2005, 09:51:41 am »
For a movie that bombed in theaters, its DVD sales seem to be amazing.  I went to Best Buy around 1pm on the day they first started selling it.  1 copy left....and it was fullscreen (so I had to pass).  Best Buy website at the time said it would be out of stock for about 3 weeks.

Offline MetallicDragon

• Apprentice Enchanter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2005, 12:06:25 am »
I got it on DVD for Christmas. I can't believe I havn't watched it yet :(.

Offline Cruithne

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
    • Liquorice Bomb
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2005, 12:45:06 pm »
I can't wait for the region 2 release, so I have ordered it from the USA,and hopefully it will be here any day now.

Easily the best film of the year, by a long way.

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
  • Life is worth much more than gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2005, 02:10:04 pm »
I was unable to see it in the theaters when it (finally) came out in Denmark. Since it only came out in the big cities and I live to far away from them. So I am looking forward to the DVD release.

Quote from: /lurk
PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.
FACE: Not again! Quickly Palm, come to me!

Offline MetallicDragon

• Apprentice Enchanter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2005, 12:15:29 am »
Today I watched it, all the special features and then watched it again with commentary.

Offline Cobra

• People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2005, 12:20:27 am »
The reason they made the movie was because they knew it would sell its pants off when it hit DVD I'm getting it on DVD probably the day it comes out and it's going to be watched a million times The reason why this movie was made was because TV series DVD sales were so good.

Offline Kagan

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2005, 03:41:53 pm »
I can't wait for the region 2 release, so I have ordered it from the USA,and hopefully it will be here any day now.

Easily the best film of the year, by a long way.

Batman Begins was the best film of the year, by a long way.

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2005, 04:00:37 pm »
It was on the list of the worst movies of the year according to Jack Garner, the local movie reviewer 'round here.

Spore countdowns: USA Europe

Offline GameManic

• Dragster Diehard
  • I can't let you leave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2005, 04:26:48 pm »
It was on the list of the worst movies of the year according to Jack Garner, the local movie reviewer 'round here.
That guys must be a jerk.  Serenity is a good movie.
"Listen, I mean that from my knowledge of the world that I see around me, I think that it is much more likely that the reports of flying saucers are the results of the known irrational characteristics of terrestrial intelligence than of the unknown rational efforts of extra-terrestrial intelligence."
-Richard Feynman

Offline Cobra

• People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2005, 08:53:59 pm »
Man wouldn't know a good movie if it jumped up and bit him in the face.

Offline MetallicDragon

• Apprentice Enchanter
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2005, 01:05:25 am »
I think 762 was talking about Batman Begins...

Offline Cruithne

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
    • Liquorice Bomb
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2005, 02:57:00 am »

Well, it was certainly the best Batman film by a long way, but I have to say that it wasn't even in my top five as far as best movies of the year is concerned.
I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

Offline Kagan

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2005, 11:35:08 am »

Amusing, especially because Batman Begins received a score 3% higher than Serenity to him.

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2005, 12:12:21 pm »
Quote from: Jack Garner's biography snippet from the web
Jack Garner has been staff film critic at the Democrat and Chronicle for nearly 28 years. He began reviewing films here in 1977 -- starting with the original Star Wars. In 1987, Garner was appointed chief film critic of Gannett News Service, and his writing regularly appears in Gannett newspapers nationwide, and in journals worldwide. He holds a B.A. degree in journalism from St. Bonaventure and an M.S. from Syracuse University. He joined the Rochester Times-Union in 1970, as a rewrite man on the city desk where he was part of the team that won a Pulitzer Prize for coverage of the Attica prison rebellion. He has been married for 34 years to Bonnie Garner. The couple has three grown children.

I can't find a review of the movie on the page, though. I found where he reviews all the movies, but Serenity isn't there. I'm sure he said Serenity is terrible, though. But he also said that The Producers sucks.

Spore countdowns: USA Europe

Offline T-BirD

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2005, 12:42:16 pm »
Just watched Serenity last night and loved it!  The effects look so realistic :)

***SPOILER WARNING***

It's weird how it played out - like they expected the movie to not do well enough to warrant a sequel or a reviving of the franchise - tho it's still possible, albeit with a slightly different story direction.

...especially what happened with the cast composition....that was really unexpected to me (copy paste this somewhere to read it if you have difficulties)

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2006, 05:54:11 am »

Well, it was certainly the best Batman film by a long way, but I have to say that it wasn't even in my top five as far as best movies of the year is concerned.
I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

I still like the 80's originals with Michael Keaton, it went downhill after "forever" though.

On a side note, dont listen to this Jack Garner guy, the Producers, Batman begins and (from what ive heard) Serenity are all great.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Tal

• Rigel Rescuer
  • Farm boy
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2006, 09:10:57 am »
Well, I bought the Serenity DVD, and it's awesome. The movie itself is very satisfying to me as a Firefly fan, but stands on it's own two legs as a movie. Besides that, the whole thing is very funny. Listening carefully, I heard some gems in the dialouge that still crack me up. The visual effects are very good, better than the show. I had forgotten how frightening the Reavers are. They're sort of the equivalent of zombies in space if you think about it...

*Spoiler alert!!!*
Like zombies, Reavers are innocent in their own way. Zombies eat people because of some uncontrollable reason, while Reavers are the way they are because of what the Alliance did. Technically, they're not really evil or murderous, because it's not by choice that they do what they do.
*End spoiler alert!!!*
There are some things mankind was not meant to know...

"If you can't take the heat, get off the car hood." -Bucky Katt

Offline Cruithne

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
    • Liquorice Bomb
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2006, 09:38:05 am »
Slightly off topic

Nah, I never got the earlier Batman films, even though I do like Michael Keaton in the role, cos the films were focussed too heavily on the villain.
BTW, the first animated movie Batman:Mask of the Phantasm is pretty fantastic as well.

Back to Serenity.

It was my favourite film of last year, but if I really had to pick some flaws it would be two things.
One, the Reavers were built up so much through the TV series and the film, that by the time they were revealed they were nowhere near as scary as my imagination of them.
Two, at the end of the day, River turns out to beSpace Buffy a teenage wunderkid with awseome fighting ability..............(been there, done that,and so have you Josh)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2006, 09:39:53 am by Cruithne »

Offline Sander Scamper

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2006, 06:45:15 am »
He mentions that in the DVD commentary (hell, Gaming Steve has probably ripped it and listened to it by now =p). Personally, I have absolutely no problem with it and I think it does work in the context of the how and River's back story.
The reason I hate/Boycott Sony: "Most people, I think, don't even know what a Rootkit is, so why should they care about it?"

Offline Cobra

• People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2006, 08:56:42 pm »
I got the DVD like a few days after release in australia so a few weeks ago now I was going to mention here but forgot loved the movie all over again. I'll have to go through all the DVD extras seen some of them got a few to go though.

Offline carcajou

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2006, 01:39:57 pm »
Absolutely one great SF movie. Not pretentious, good story, good action. It was like a good SF franco-belgium «bande dessinée» if anyone knows what i'm talking about. Bring on more like that!

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
  • tastes just like chicken
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2006, 02:26:08 pm »
I quote the comic book guy from The Simpsons: "Worst, movie, ever"

Just my opinion. What do you think?

Next time do a search: http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=1300.0 Merged.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2006, 02:27:50 pm by Oviraptor »

Offline SmileyMan

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2006, 02:36:19 pm »
Yes sar.

Offline deku12345

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2006, 06:46:03 pm »
I saw the movie the day it came out in theaters.  Then immediately went and got the complete Firefly series on DVD.  Its definately my favorite show of all time and the movie does jutsice to it.

I find it amazing that a cancelled show managed to get turned into a major motion picture.  That kind of thing just doesn't happen.

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2006, 12:01:49 pm »
Did I mention I had to write an essay on Serenity's marketing strategy for my course?

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2006, 06:27:09 am »
I've avoided posting on this topic, mostly because I thought Firefly was the greatest TV series ever created. And it's difficult to discuss it without getting furious with FOX for their treatment of the show or how they're makings tons of money off the DVD set. I've boycotted that network forever and will never watch another show on it. I don't care if it's the second coming, I won't waste my time providing revenue to a group so pathetic and miserable again. They got me with the DVD set. That's all they'll ever get. I hope that network collapses.

The movie was fantastic, but its two hours pale in comparison to the joy I would have had from seeing the series continue. If nothing else, it just teased me with the potential the series had and utlimately was never able to achieve due to those corporate hacks at FOX. I liked Joss's other shows, particularly Buffy (even with its weak fourth and sixth seasons), but Firefly was an epiphany of goodness and imagination. I had no clue how much that show would grip me and never let go. I still watch the episodes routinely simply because all other shows allowed to continue on are a mockery to its brilliance.

Offline Behumat

• Joust Warrior
  • Coruscant committee to fight urban sprawl
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2006, 01:26:48 pm »
Hmmm, I thought the sci-fi network owned the rights to it now. Oh well. I still don't have the Serenity DVD, though I hear that now its coming out on HD.

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2006, 01:40:08 pm »
Hmmm, I thought the sci-fi network owned the rights to it now. Oh well. I still don't have the Serenity DVD, though I hear that now its coming out on HD.
Sci-Fi is allowed to broadcast all the episodes, but the final rights to the show reside at FOX, so they still get royalties for every DVD set of it they sell. And yes, the fiilm is lined up to be either the first or one of the first on the new format, so yeah....good on them. If only HD-DVD was going to win.

Offline Mr. Consideration

• Goddess of Phobos
  • Merry Christmarx, one and all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2006, 03:39:43 am »
Serenity used word of mouth techniques to market itself. It has a name which if forgot.

It was a good film, but hard to get into, and i wasn't keen on the ending. I Liked the universe it was set in though, very cool. I loved the Reavers.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Yes, I am aware of the irony.

Offline Cruithne

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
    • Liquorice Bomb
« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2006, 05:47:26 am »
I think the term you are looking for is Viral Marketing, though it ought to be pointed out that it failed pretty miserably in the case of Serenity.
Here you have a class A product, miles better than anything similar on the market, and it fails.So much for Viral Marketing.

I overheard this on the dreamstationCC podcst.

Viral Marketing doesn't work, tell all your friends.

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 22, 2006, 11:56:46 am »
Actually it was one of the greatest successes of the viral marketing method that's ever been used by the entertainment business to date.

Offline Cruithne

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
    • Liquorice Bomb
« Reply #47 on: April 22, 2006, 01:35:35 pm »
I think I can safely say that what we have here is a disagreement.

:P

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 22, 2006, 02:57:07 pm »
I think I can safely say that what we have here is a disagreement.
 :P

Well okay, can you give me an example of a better one? If I'm wrong, I'd rather be corrected.

Offline Cruithne

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
    • Liquorice Bomb
« Reply #49 on: April 22, 2006, 06:03:24 pm »
Blair Witch Project springs to mind.

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 22, 2006, 06:21:13 pm »

I stand corrected. :) Should have thought of that, really - it's one of the prime examples.

However, I would still maintain that Universal's strategy for Serenity paid off. The box office takings almost covered the production costs, which was unexpected. This means that profits from the DVDs will go straight to Universal's pockets. Add to that the fact that the sort of people who are likely to want to see Serenity are the sort of people who are more likely to buy the DVD, and you have a success on your hands. Let's be honest - would you have gone to see the film if you hadn't heard of it through the marketing campaign? It was such a small movie there would be absolutely no way that they could have afforded a traditional marketing campaign, which would have cost more than the entire budget under the viral scheme.

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 23, 2006, 11:34:27 pm »
True, but it sort of became famous due to the fact that people believed it was a real tape of real people searching for the Blair Witch. Which of course it wasn't. All the same, it makes me a tad upset that a piece of utter shlock like that was so much more universally successful than Serenity.