Author Topic: Religion  (Read 456247 times)

Offline Cosmo

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Religion
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2005, 07:24:36 pm »
^^^Um I didn't mean to imply that Satanism is all about devil worship. Just pointing out something random.

I met a monk once, a Hari Krishna devotee...person. He gave me a book to read and asked for a "donation" in return. I thought, what the hell why not, gave him $4 (im tight) and read a bit. It basically said to get to spiritual enlightenment, you must give up all your worldy possetions, all your money and submit all your will to your master and do everything he says. So what ever he says gos, and everything he says is to be taken as truth coz no master will ever leave his flock astray. You cannot get to enlightenment on your own, you have to be good and listen to what your master says because they're already enlightened.

Right. I want to find this monk again and give him his book back.

I want to know if this is mainstream Hari Krishna or a renegede sect

Offline Nuriboy

• Space Invaders Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2005, 01:54:57 am »
Woah, big suprise here then. ::)

Seems nearly every forum I end up on has one person that raves on and on how they despise muslims...
Yes we have fundamentilists. But so does every religion.

Islam is not a religion of slavery, infact its probably one of the more liberal ones. I love islam because there is a spirit of brotherhood and sisterhood that transcends race, gender, sexuality or most things. Although I get annoyed at the haters out there.. I can't blame them. The media has been so hell bent into making muslims be percieved as the "enemy" or "backwards". It's just a culture of fear provoking today that was used in the cold war over the "RED MENACE"

this is just a taster of the ignorance and hate I and most muslims living in America and europe face today; After september 11th - I was punched in the face. I was told that my family and my whole kind should be rounded up and shot in class while my teacher just sat there nodding. When I was praying in the mosque a group of "vigilantes" ran in and poured red paint over everyone... I had a friend that was commuting between the uk and Us.. who isnt muslim by the way. Just racially arab. She was shackled around her ankles and interrogated.. then got her visa refused.

Do I do such actions when I see the inhumanities the US has lavished on the muslim world?

As for logic? I take it youve never opened a Quran? Or read it with negative bias....
Islam is alot like Christianity and judism.  it's monotheistic.  It promotes morality. It denounces killing of innocents. It promotes peace.
I would really be interested in what aspect you find utterly "illogical".. do you have a specific surah or hadith? (if you even know what that means).
 :(
« Last Edit: May 13, 2005, 02:03:04 am by Nuriboy »
It could be frankie. It could be very fresh and clean. It could be a balloon.

Offline DevilMachine

• Q*Bert Qrazy
  • Defender of the Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2005, 02:30:30 am »
if I was to convert to a 'more established' religon than satanism, i would probaby have to go with an eastern religon, islamic, hinduism, buddahism.

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
  • Life is worth much more than gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2005, 04:46:12 am »
Christian Protestand but I am a religion nut.

Quote from: /lurk
PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.
FACE: Not again! Quickly Palm, come to me!

Offline Tr0n

• Dragster Diehard
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2005, 10:08:38 am »
In response to Nuriboy.  It really is a shame that when major events happen, the only people who really respond are the ignorant and intolerant... and they react violently.  In America, specifically, you see this along with a large remainder from the "old guard" Southern....hicks.  I should know, I see them every day.  They formed societies like the Klan because they felt that they were superior to everyone else (but throughout history, it seems like a desperate cry to avenge their own faults).  What you are seeing today is a re-stupification of the American child.  You're now seeing the average teenager so wrapped up in achieving the status quo, that they all come out of those years pretty much the same.  THere are exceptions, but those exceptions are ALWAYS outcasts.  And thus, with 9/11, I was appalled at the ignorance of this so-called advanced society.  At COLLEGE, Indian students left their dorm rooms with "Sand N*gger" written across their doors.  Even the ones that just looked Arab (but who were born in America) had to stay in their rooms for fear of drunken frat boys with chips on their shoulders.

Being in America, I've learned that the ignorant are simply looking for an excuse to lash out at other humans.  I fear the day when something truly horrible happens, and the cuplrit is one of them... it'll either be swept under the rug or it'll end up in another Civil war.  For all of it's freedoms, the  young American society is heading down the wrong path... and those people are struggling just ot stay alive, with no hope of reaching "the American dream." 

Anti-patriotic, yes, but I just wanted to apologize for the ignorant and backwards men and women in my society that persecute anyone who bears the smallest difference from them (color, sexuality, or religion).
Hey love crusader, I want to be your space invader
For you I will descend the deepest moon crater
I is more stronger than Darth Vapour
Obey me, I is your new dictator

Offline Demorgora

• Video Pinball Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2005, 10:35:10 am »
Nuriboy: One need only look at the Qu`ran's scripture to deduce the fact that your god desires the complete and utter subjugation of your body and mind. You either do as he pleases or you're eternally damned for it regardless of how good of a person you are; it is either his way or no way at all. What is even more amusing is the fact that Islam means submission.

Islam is illogical in every sense of the ****ing word. It refers to Allah as being an omni-benevolent deity, but only when you become his thrall and do his bidding because if not, you're going to hell. Then another fascinating thing about it is how it denounces many worldly pleasures as sins, but yet Islamic heaven lavishes in them. I could go on and on with these arguments, but truthfully, you'll probably disagree with everyone of them no matter how much reason and logic is in them because you're a brainwashed thrall.

Offline Tr0n

• Dragster Diehard
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2005, 11:39:33 am »
Of course, religions like Catholicism let you do anything you want (pretty much) as long as you go to confession before you die.  There's both sides of the scale.  And, quite honestly, humans work better when they're working for something other than themselves.  Selfishness and greed have undone society time and time again.  I'm not saying complete servitude is the smartest thing; it can lead to radicalism and rebellion.  But religions where the people run free and feel that because they can confess their sins or  they've been dipped in water that they're given a free pass is just as illogical.  Religion, as a whole, is shaped to conform to the wishes of those who follow it.  If there were really one true religion, none of us would be having this discussion.  Religion in general is the manifestation of what a culture or set of people believe in (or what would fit their wants and needs the best).
Hey love crusader, I want to be your space invader
For you I will descend the deepest moon crater
I is more stronger than Darth Vapour
Obey me, I is your new dictator

Offline Lord Janos

• Wizardry Whiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2005, 01:30:13 pm »
I really pity some of you people... i really do.  Such clouded thoughts are traits of the Devil - who is a liar, a murderer, and an accuser of God.  By claiming to "follow" such a creature you too are a Lord of Deceit.

Jesus is the only path - take the wrong path up the mountain to God and you will fall.  I'm open to questions and freely give my advice - but Christianity is a religion that needs to be realised personally, and then acted upon universally.  So, instead of just doing the usual, "I'm right, you're wrong" malarky, if any of you have some sensible questions regarding myself and my religion, then PM me and we can talk, and i'll try to help. 

Offline syphonbyte

• Moon Patroller
  • You know what the payment is...
    • View Profile
    • The Village of Fools
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2005, 01:38:25 pm »
Tr0n, I think your locale has lead you to believe that way. I too live in a southern area, but where I am everybody is very liberal. The local editorial letters are 90% Bush bashing. Anyhow, I think that the U.S. is just way too polarized, and you have the group like what you're talking about, and the group I'm talking about that's so outstandingly liberal they're ready to burn down Congress and start an anarchy. The people I live around are so insanely politically correct that if you so much as say "bling" jokingly when referring to a dime on the ground, you'll get crucified. I know about all the racism and stuff, but at the same time there's the reverse in our nation. I'm lucky (unlucky) enough to have seen both sides of it, because I live outside of Gainesville. Where my house is, everybody is very conservative and there's about 5 churches per capita. Inside Gainesville, though, it's very different. A church was actually converted into a college tutoring service when it went out of business. It's really an incredible divide. That's why I'm trying to get out of politics and the big societal gap.

Offline s0lidmetal

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2005, 02:09:32 pm »
I really pity some of you people... i really do.  Such clouded thoughts are traits of the Devil - who is a liar, a murderer, and an accuser of God.  By claiming to "follow" such a creature you too are a Lord of Deceit.

Jesus is the only path - take the wrong path up the mountain to God and you will fall.  I'm open to questions and freely give my advice - but Christianity is a religion that needs to be realised personally, and then acted upon universally.  So, instead of just doing the usual, "I'm right, you're wrong" malarky, if any of you have some sensible questions regarding myself and my religion, then PM me and we can talk, and i'll try to help. 

You are the perfect example of what is wrong with all religion.  It instills hate.  You critisize other people's beliefs and say yours is the only true religion.  A victim of your own statement ("I'm right, you're wrong").  Hypocrite.

Offline Ameg

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2005, 02:43:39 pm »
 Well, to believe in any religion *requires* that you think your right and anybody who doesn't believe as you do is wrong. Thats the definition and theres just no avoiding it. The problem is that people keep steorotyping the sterotypes (confuzzled yet?). I'm a conservative Prodestant and I'm not out there writing Sand N*gger on doors or passing out hate pamphlets. Certainly we can all agree we have ignorant people in every religion. Muslim extremism comes in the form of Osama and his ilk. Christian extremism is the kind of cases that we've heard so far, threats of hell and so forth. The problem with these people is that they are really just pushing people away from Christianity. Rather than telling people what will happen if they don't join, we as Christians have a responsibility to show them the joys of Christianity, that we have the love of our God. Unfortunatly some are hell bent (pardon the pun) on pushing forward the steriotype of the Baptist minister. But let it be known that not all of us are that way.

edit: Ironic isn't it that a Creationist like myself is so looking forward to Spore, huh?  :)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2005, 02:45:43 pm by Ameg »

Offline s0lidmetal

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2005, 03:13:17 pm »
Interesting though, the majority of America and England (not sure about Australia) are some form of Christian, and also speak English.  Thusly, there are a ton of religious terms intagrated into the language.  Example: People call me rude because I refuse to say 'GOD bless you' whenever someone sneezes.  Cripes...I don't beleive in GOD you dolt!

Offline DevilMachine

• Q*Bert Qrazy
  • Defender of the Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2005, 05:19:45 pm »
Ive seen this happen in so many forums (and Im sure you have to) people start off by stating their religous beliefs - which is all good, but then things can quickly turn sour when people start bashing other peoples beliefs - and this is not cool, no matter where you stand.

This is not what a religous thread should be about.

Offline s0lidmetal

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2005, 05:29:20 pm »
OK,

The reason I created this thread was to see if intelligent people with common interests could share their beliefs without getting offended.  What happened, was, a mini holy war which could probably go on for a while.  Maybe one day Earth will acheive world peace, but not as long as we have religion.  The best thing that can be done is lock this thread!

Offline Demorgora

• Video Pinball Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2005, 06:13:22 pm »
Ive seen this happen in so many forums (and Im sure you have to) people start off by stating their religous beliefs - which is all good, but then things can quickly turn sour when people start bashing other peoples beliefs - and this is not cool, no matter where you stand.

This is not what a religous thread should be about.

People are far too afraid of offending other people in this world. If you're not willing to stake your beliefs with your fists and blood, then what are they really worth?