Author Topic: Firefly  (Read 7504 times)

Offline deku12345

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
Firefly
« on: April 08, 2006, 02:13:31 am »
Who else here is a fan?  This has got to be my all time favorite tv show.  Its full of great characters, great acting, hilarious situations, and a well-rounded plot in a very original universe.  Unfortunately, Fox in its infinite wisdom cancelled it after 14 episodes. 

You may be a fan of it and not even know it!  The movie Serenity, which came out on DVD in December, is a continuation of the series.  Joss Whedon, the creator, said he would like to make more movies, but the likelihood of that happening isn't too good.

I know some of you have fallen in love with this show just as me (and my entire family) have.  If you HAVN'T seen it, you owe it to yourself to check it out.  The sci-fi channel plays it sometimes I think, and there is the complete series out on DVD. 

Offline T-BirD

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Firefly
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2006, 09:18:57 am »
I love firefly, but Battlestar Galactica (the new one) has passed it as my all-time favorite  :-\

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2006, 12:09:44 am »
I have both the full firefly series and the serenity movie on DVD I still have a few special features to watch though.

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2006, 08:24:30 am »
I love firefly, but Battlestar Galactica (the new one) has passed it as my all-time favorite  :-\

But ... you ... the ... its ... HOW?? I'm sorry, the new Galactica is good but ... huh?

Offline TheShark

• Kaboom Boomer!
  • It was either that or a rattle-snake bite...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2006, 09:07:47 am »
I saw a few episodes of this show while it was on Fox, but never got into it too much. But now the entire series is only $18...so I have no excuse not to buy it and watch.

Wow, this makes me realize how long it's been since I was an active user here.

Offline GrrrArrgh

• Venture Conqueror
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2006, 09:09:37 pm »
Love Firefly, loved Serenity, have both on DVD. I was a fan of the show when it was on fox and one of those individuals who was ticked that it got cancelled, then later on totally ecstatic to learn a movie was being made. I just wish there was a way to continue the story. I've heard there's a few comic books too but have never seen them myself.
There is a method to my madness. That method is in and of itself quite mad, but it is method nonetheless.

Offline IscariotJ

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2006, 09:53:05 am »
Love Firefly, loved Serenity, have both on DVD. I was a fan of the show when it was on fox and one of those individuals who was ticked that it got cancelled, then later on totally ecstatic to learn a movie was being made. I just wish there was a way to continue the story. I've heard there's a few comic books too but have never seen them myself.

There are 3 comics, and a graphic novel.  AFAIK, they tie Firefly to Serenity.  Haven't got round to reading them yet.

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2006, 11:51:34 am »

There are 3 comics, and a graphic novel.  AFAIK, they tie Firefly to Serenity.  Haven't got round to reading them yet.
For clarification: The 3 comics are collected in the graphic novel. They're not seperate from one another. So if you bought the graphic novel, you have the 3 comics.

Offline Cobra

• People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2006, 11:14:15 pm »
I have a question in the comics when they curse in Chinese do they use Chinese symbols or just write it phonetically in engish?

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2006, 07:57:17 am »
I have a question in the comics when they curse in Chinese do they use Chinese symbols or just write it phonetically in engish?
It's in Kanji.

Offline Cobra

• People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2006, 10:04:42 pm »
Can I assume Kanji is Chinese written language or something similar?

Offline Behumat

• Joust Warrior
  • Coruscant committee to fight urban sprawl
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2006, 04:49:03 pm »
Kanji is a japanese language. Chinese would be Mandarin, Cantonese, or Hokkien.

Offline psychodrive

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2006, 08:42:58 pm »

Kanji isn't a Japanese language. The national language of Japan is (surprise!) Japanese.

Kanji is the Japanese word for the set of complex characters that were imported from China. In most cases the Japanese kanji are still written the same and often share meaning with their representation in China. The shared meaning is often in an abstract, as opposed to concrete sense. Furthermore, while sharing a common written script, Chinese (be it Cantonese, Mandarin, etc) is constructed differently and spoken differently.

The two other written scripts used in Japan are known as Hiragana and Katakana.

About 2000 Kanji are in daily use in Japan.
Yes, I play games. Really.

Offline Cobra

• People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2006, 05:07:25 am »
I was going to say it would be strange if it was strictly japanese seeing as how they speak Chinese on the show.

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2006, 11:24:36 am »

Kanji is the Japanese word for the set of complex characters that were imported from China. In most cases the Japanese kanji are still written the same and often share meaning with their representation in China. The shared meaning is often in an abstract, as opposed to concrete sense. Furthermore, while sharing a common written script, Chinese (be it Cantonese, Mandarin, etc) is constructed differently and spoken differently.

The two other written scripts used in Japan are known as Hiragana and Katakana.

Thank you. You've kept me from dredging up painful memories of living in Japan and explaining how I knew all this too. :)