Author Topic: Orginal Design Ideas  (Read 3181 times)

Offline Gabriel

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
Orginal Design Ideas
« on: April 07, 2006, 04:13:42 pm »
I need help with designing an orginal creature. As you may have noticed all of the creatures I have designed so far (The Sa'rir and The Orbion) are far from the most orginal idea in the world. What I want to know is how have you (this is directed towards Hydo' and Hugg' mostly) managed to come up with such intresting and orginal creatures while still maintaining a sense of orginality? What was the process of creating such a spectacle? What helped you along the way? Where did you look for inspiration?

One other thing I'd like to ask: What is an intresting, and currently unentered, enviroment for my creature to live in?

Offline Vivec

• Gauntlet Wizard
  • The truth has vanished into darkness...
    • View Profile
Re: Orginal Design Ideas
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2006, 04:15:31 pm »
Lava World! Woo!

Or, underwater. I don't think we have any actual threads about those.
Vivec, you're the best forum member ever.

Offline Sporific

• Battlezone Captain
  • Call me Jake. Jake Bond.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2006, 04:59:08 pm »
I can probably count the number of developed underwater creatures on one hand, so that'd be a good direction. Also, even though it has been denied its place in Spore, it would be cool to see a flying city. Maybe even a creature that lives underground?

And as for originality: start sketching until you make a creature you like... don't copy anyone elses design. In that way, no matter how much it looks like another person's creature, it is truly original. Anything that you like and you designed yourself is original.
LOL SPORE ON MAC.
"The surest sign that there's intelligent life in the universe is that they haven't visited us."
Quote from: lolasan
Procedurally Generate That!

Offline Gabriel

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2006, 06:00:48 pm »
And as for originality: start sketching until you make a creature you like... don't copy anyone elses design. In that way, no matter how much it looks like another person's creature, it is truly original. Anything that you like and you designed yourself is original.

That's the problem. I'll sit down with a blank sheet of paper in front of me and begin sketching, but no matter how bad I try to come up with something orginal it always ends up looking EXACTLY like someone's elses creature or something from real life. I need to be able to come up with an idea before I start sketching and I just can't do it!

Offline Xarionis

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2006, 06:14:22 pm »
Well, here's something. Most people have been making strong, powerful creatures. Make a tiny, fearful creature! Everybody needs a snack now and then, right?

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2006, 06:15:07 pm »
Well, here's something. Most people have been making strong, powerful creatures. Make a tiny, fearful creature! Everybody needs a snack now and then, right?

That's what I thought. http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=3326.0

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2006, 07:37:25 pm »
I need help with designing an original creature. As you may have noticed all of the creatures I have designed so far (The Sa'rir and The Orbion) are far from the most orginal idea in the world. What I want to know is how have you (this is directed towards Hydo' and Hugg' mostly) managed to come up with such intresting and original creatures while still maintaining a sense of originality? What was the process of creating such a spectacle? What helped you along the way? Where did you look for inspiration?

One other thing I'd like to ask: What is an intresting, and currently unentered, environment for my creature to live in?

Well one thing i do is research whatever I want to make. for instance i wanted to make an airship for my nauceans, but i knew nothing about them. So i looked up pictures of airships. Then drew what i thought the Naucean version would look like. Such as having a spherical architecture etc. On thing i had no trouble with was the biology part. I am a bio nut so i know weird real life, prehistoric and even fictional animals.

For instance for my Nauceans i first said to my self "What are some intelligent animals on earth?" In which i thought, dolphins, squids, gorillas, chimps, dogs, parrots and maybe even raptors dinosaurs were smart. Then i choose the ones i liked. Since i  wanted to avoid humands i did not choose gorillas or chimps. And did not want a furry so i stayed away from dogs. Which left me with parrots, dolphin, squids and raptors. Before i was already working on a walking whale but it turned out bad. Also i had just seen on a website called "The Speculative Dinosaur Project" with a thing called a baleen squid. Which was a whale shaped squid. It had the pseudo-mandibles which i really liked to o make the head that. I had already created some other creatures with 4 eyes and the ring around it from Lilo and Stitch influence. I figured wanteds it to looked like a 'Porpin" which i saw in a Dougal Dixon book but then realized it would be no fun. So i played around with bird bodies until i got a large flightless bird one. Then i realized it could be like a raptor but have it have a dolphin tail instead. Also for the no toes on the feet i had actually make a Raptor called "Tim" for my animation class. The reason he has no toes was i did not want to have to draw them every frame. In short i thought, hmm if i goes this no toes then i could have them like flippers. I almost put front arms on him like a raptor but then though to use it like a whale where he walked on the front legs and have th eback evolved away. I also wondered where to put the nose then i thought using it like a mixture of a whale and oviraptor would be cool so i did that. Then added a shaman staff because i like Native American stuff. He was originally going to be a native American thing but someone said it looked like it was from Mesopotamia, so i went with that. Ok i am rambling too much. I hope that answerers your question.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2006, 07:39:56 pm by Hydromancerx »

Offline Project37

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2006, 07:54:05 pm »
Well I don't know how original you can call the Vashean, but I did similar to Hydro and looked to nature for inspiration. I looked for functioning limbs and abilities certain species have in nature, and gave some of the ideas I  liked a new twist , like the echo location bats use, I changed that just a small little bit and stuck it on my creature.

Offline Notorious B.O.B

• Venture Conqueror
  • I still live!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2006, 08:35:01 pm »
Yeah, look to nature for inspiration Gabe. Take an animal you like, twist it around in your head for as long as you can, taking parts away, adding parts, squeezing bones, changing organs, etc. Maybe even try to make something that 'can't happen' in nature, but can in machines (ie. rockets), and then work backwards through the evolution.  The Rituuk http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=3440.0 I designed originally were four legged spiny giant rats (basically)! Then i decided they didn't look alien. I have another creature, un-named, that has wheels it uses for locomotion and defense/offense. For their design, I was inspired by Scallops, then went from there. Yag/oOr the Ronk (whom I have mentioned elsewhere, don't remember where) started out based on a Godzilla (the one in NYC) toy, and then went through so many transformations i couldn't keep them straight. Just keep tweaking an animal until it seems very alien, take ideas from biology and artifical creations, and change them a bit, and have a very active imagination! Good luck!
Leave to a Thark his head and one hand and he may yet conquer.

The glass is alway in balance and full: half liquid, half gas.

Visit my Sporepedia page! http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Bob_Of_Mars