Author Topic: Space based MMO - procedurally generated universe/planet surfaces  (Read 16599 times)

Offline Tarrasque

• Mystery House Madman
  • Freedom at last!
    • View Profile
And it is called INFINITY

Page:
http://www.fl-tw.com/

I just encountered it today, didn't see it around here. Be sure to check out the videos.

It is 2 years of so down the road, but if you want to speculatively salivate onto another game but Spore, this is it. The procedural content allows for 100 BILLION solar systems. That is the whole galaxy, give or take. And before you tell me that it will be boring and repititive as hell (remember Frontier?), look at the videos and screens, read the forums, read the FAQ. Then tell me it isn't utterly awesome!

And yes, it could never materialize...there is only one guy programming it in his sparetime, together with a bunch of 3D artists and concept artists. He is very serious about it, it seems.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2006, 07:45:26 pm by Tarrasque »

"I'm Jack's complete lack of surprise"

Offline LucasUP

• Asteroids Aficionado
  • Cheese Is God
    • View Profile
Re: Space based MMO - procedurally generated universe
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2006, 07:47:33 pm »
Woah, this /really/ reminded me of this:
http://sponeil.org/
Especialy if you read all the text on there

But that guy suposidly started working with Maxis... probably on Spore too... weird... mabye he quit and moved on to work on a different game? Or mabye the simmalarities are just uncanny but meaningless...

I have yet to look around fully on thist site, looks really neat though

Edit: The main guy on your site seems to be Flavien Brebion, where as the link I posted is Sean O'Neil, theres still some really uncanny simalarites here.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2006, 07:55:00 pm by LucasUP »
The glass is not half full or half empty. It is both.

Offline starshard0

• Mystery House Madman
  • I'm waiting for Spore to come out, don't bug me.
    • View Profile
    • Starshard0's Super Blog
Re: Space based MMO - procedurally generated universe/planet surfaces
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2006, 09:22:49 pm »
Man, if those two teamed up, I'll bet they could beat Will Wright to the punch, not that that's a good things, just sayin'.
Bored? On the internet? Probably not, but if so, check out my blog.

Offline SpaceOddity

• Vanguard Venturer
  • Europan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2006, 01:20:41 am »
Here's an interesting part of O'Niels' resume on the site:

Consultant - Maxis, Inc. 04/01 - 10/03
Part-time contract to assist with R&D development involving dynamic generation and rendering of fractal-based worlds at any level of detail using C++ and OpenGL.
<<<< Click to enter.

Offline Tarrasque

• Mystery House Madman
  • Freedom at last!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2006, 01:37:22 am »
Yes, it really looks similar. Even the timeframes of development seem to be the same.

Infininty looks better though, eye candy wise.  8)

Offline Petike

• Stargate Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2006, 07:30:15 am »
That is fantastic!!!!!!
I wish it could materialize, and it would be the 2. greatest game after Spore
Quote from: MasterChiToes in "Spore was dumbed down"
Maybe the Sporons are the ones that got dumbed down?  ;D

Offline Glacies

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2006, 09:41:35 am »
BLASPHEMERS!
Looks cool. I should check it out, if it comes out.

Offline Tantalus

• Bezerk Brawler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2006, 03:08:20 pm »
If it comes out I'll buy it.

Offline xnodas

• Frogger Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2006, 08:58:36 pm »
is there a point to the game?  Spore you are evolving into a more advance version of yourself.  is this game just based around money.  you start off with nothing and get a ship then a city then a world.
"Tell me what you cherish most...give me the pleasure of taking it away." Final Fatasy VII: Advent Children

Offline Tarrasque

• Mystery House Madman
  • Freedom at last!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2006, 01:39:38 am »
is there a point to the game?  Spore you are evolving into a more advance version of yourself.  is this game just based around money.  you start off with nothing and get a ship then a city then a world.

Have you ever played an MMO? The point is you're doing it together with others. Allies and enemies are not (only) AI. You trade and fight with other people, create tactics, build an empire, enjoy the countryside...

Offline Petike

• Stargate Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2006, 02:04:21 am »
That doesn't seems to be a serious project, but the idea itself is great. Space MMOs will be popular in the future, and I will play with them when I don't play with Spore.
Quote from: MasterChiToes in "Spore was dumbed down"
Maybe the Sporons are the ones that got dumbed down?  ;D

Offline xnodas

• Frogger Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2006, 01:10:27 pm »
is there a point to the game? Spore you are evolving into a more advance version of yourself. is this game just based around money. you start off with nothing and get a ship then a city then a world.

Have you ever played an MMO? The point is you're doing it together with others. Allies and enemies are not (only) AI. You trade and fight with other people, create tactics, build an empire, enjoy the countryside...

i must have missed something somewhere, but this is an MMO? i did not see that fact, opps.
"Tell me what you cherish most...give me the pleasure of taking it away." Final Fatasy VII: Advent Children

Offline mrodgers

• Choplifter Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2006, 01:39:34 pm »
is there a point to the game? Spore you are evolving into a more advance version of yourself. is this game just based around money. you start off with nothing and get a ship then a city then a world.

i must have missed something somewhere, but this is an MMO? i did not see that fact, opps.

Well it is in the title  :P .
Check out my (Thurlin's) creatures, building, and vehicles.  You won't be disappointed.

http://www.spore.com/flash/csa_widget.swf?userid=2263477425&username=Thurlin&host=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spore.com%2Fview%2Fuser-thumbnail

Offline xnodas

• Frogger Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2006, 09:40:02 pm »

Well it is in the title :P .

i kinda just went to see screens and then straight to some of the facts

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
    • My Digitalart.org profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2006, 08:19:33 am »
Jay necrobump! Well, it's valid, cause they have updated their homepage with a combat prototype for download. It's pretty cool actually.