Author Topic: Mac Bootcamp  (Read 1730 times)

Offline Morslok

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
Mac Bootcamp
« on: April 06, 2006, 06:14:15 am »
Hey all,

Just found out about something that Apple is making called Bootcamp which will allow Mac users to install and run Windows XP natively on their Intel Macs. I used to be a Mac user (a LONG time ago, it was a Performa 6200CD), and they really are very good and reliable computers. I think this was a great move by Apple since this will get Windows users who were thinking about getting a Mac to get one, and still be able to use their Windows programs.

URL: http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2006/apr/05bootcamp.html

Signed, Morslok

Offline versatek

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
Re: Mac Bootcamp
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2006, 09:16:04 am »
This is going to be awesome.  I'm curious to see how well the i-macs will run windows games.  But that's not really the point.  Apple stock should skyrocket now.

Offline Morslok

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2006, 09:28:36 am »
Apparently there were people who already got Windows working on Macs before this... the hard way. And with no driver support for the hardware with Windows. This kinda make you feel sorry for them a little bit doesn't it?
Signed, Morslok

Offline versatek

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2006, 12:01:44 pm »
yeah.  but mabey their hard work inspired apple to take the plunge and give their support for the whole thing. 

According to an article I just read somewhere, the guy was able to play farcry and doom3 with full gfx at 1024x768.  So Gaming sounds like a go.  Of course, you won't be able to upgrade your GPU or anything, so it's still not a good gaming rig, but for everything else.. mac rocks!

gec05

Windows on Apple?
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2006, 02:39:38 pm »
Please Read

I saw this on the news on TV, this could be a big change. What if Apple decides to pull through?

Offline Vivec

• Gauntlet Wizard
  • The truth has vanished into darkness...
    • View Profile
Re: Windows on Apple?
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2006, 02:40:16 pm »
Hehe... someone beat you to posting this by a couple hours.
Vivec, you're the best forum member ever.

gec05

Re: Windows on Apple?
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2006, 02:43:16 pm »
where?

Offline Vivec

• Gauntlet Wizard
  • The truth has vanished into darkness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2006, 05:15:09 pm »
Here. :D
Vivec, you're the best forum member ever.

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2006, 05:30:33 pm »
I merged them  ;)

Offline Morslok

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2006, 08:34:10 pm »
My Brother owns a powerbook (PowerPC) and has told me that when they start shipping MacBook Pros with OS X 10.5 (at which point BootCamp will be final, not just beta), he will get one and run windows.  The only reason he is doing this is for the games.  He plans to use all his word processing apps and photo editors and whatnot in OSX still (he said that playing games in windows was alright since it's full screen, but he doesn't want to have to see the Windows start bar ::)).

He also brought up and interesting point, what will become of the Mac game porting companies?  For instance, Aspyr is a company solely devoted to porting games made for windows to OSX.  What happens now, when Mac users can just get the games for windows and run them right on their Macs natively?  Sounds to me like some people are probably out of a job sometime in the near future.
Signed, Morslok