Author Topic: The Sa'rir  (Read 5857 times)

Offline Gabriel

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
The Sa'rir
« on: April 05, 2006, 07:12:46 pm »
Sa'rir
Inculta Lupus

The Sa'rir is a race of sentient, wolf-like creatures from the desert planet of Orre (pronnounced: Or-Ray). They are bipedal though can use their arms as legs, becoming quadpedal, and increasing speed. Their skin is covered in a fine layer of fur which protects them from the fierce Orre sand storms which torment the land.

Adult Sa'rir:

Sa'rir Cub:

That's all I have so far. Expect more soon. I would just like some feedback on my basic idea so far please! :)

Offline Notorious B.O.B

• Venture Conqueror
  • I still live!
    • View Profile
Re: The Sa'rir
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2006, 08:31:32 pm »
Well, since they are not very distinctive visually like some creatures around here, I would say make sure they have a very interesting history and a unique culture, with catching rituals/beliefs/art, etc.  Otherwise, others might just dismiss it as a furry.  By the way, you have awesome drawing skills.  Make sure to show us more about these guys, maybe show them hunting, or playing, or whatever they do. 
Leave to a Thark his head and one hand and he may yet conquer.

The glass is alway in balance and full: half liquid, half gas.

Visit my Sporepedia page! http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Bob_Of_Mars

Offline Brutus

• Ice Climber
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2006, 08:23:37 am »
aw, i think you should have left it like a cub as sentient ,  its so much better looking as a cub
Voila!!

a sentient  cub
Never mind your own business.

Offline operaghost21

• Rush'n Attacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2006, 12:09:27 pm »
brutus has a good point

besides, the adults look a bit, umm...well, i don't want to say furry...but, umm...

yea...
"You hate people!"
"But I love gatherings. Isn't that ironic?"
~Clerks
Quote from: Kaizer
THINGS TO DO:
Get quoted to a sig [ ]

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
    • My Digitalart.org profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2006, 02:02:27 pm »
I think they're non-furry enough. Maybe not the most original creature in the world, but nice drawings. The cub is cute.  :)
If you'll come up with a cool and original backstory it'd help a lot.

Offline Brutus

• Ice Climber
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2006, 03:04:33 pm »
i think its more original in the "dwarf" form, in the adult form its just a were wolf really isnt it
Never mind your own business.

Offline Gabriel

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2006, 03:23:31 pm »
Thanks for all the positive feedback everyone. And Brutus: I like the picture, though sadly, it's not the kind of armour I had in mind for the Sa'rir. Good job none-the-less. I know they do look a bit furry-esque but that's just the sort of thing I'm into (not in a sexual way...before you ask :P).

Here is some information on the Sa'rir's Religion:

Religion

The Sa'rir do not follow a religion based on the principles of monotheism or polytheism. They do not believe in a god, or gods. Instead their worship revolves around the triad of the three celestial bodies: Orre, Sola (The Sun. Pronnounced: Sol-lay) and Luna (The Moon. Pronnounced: Loo-nay). They believe that these bodies are responsible for maintaining the delicate balance of life and the universe:

"Orre; The Creator,
Sola; The Provider,
Luna; The Protector."
Ancient Proverb, Passed Down From Shaman To Shaman
[/i]

In Sa'rir Religion everything has a spirit. Even the planet Orre itself. It is from this almighty spirit (The Orra) that all life was born. They believe that every living creature, good or bad, possesses a part of Orra's Spirit inside of them. When they die their spirit returns to Orra, there it can be rejuvenated and returned to the surface inside a new physical vessel. This is the Sa'rir's belief in reincarnation.

Because they believe that Orre has its own spirit they also believe that it is alive and such can feel pain. This belief leads the Sa'rir to treat their planet with great respect. Orre is probaly the most worshipped and revered of the three celestial bodies due to its part in creating all life.

The Sa'rir worship Luna and thanks her for the cover of darkness which aids them in the hunt. Alike Orre, Luna also is filled with an almighty spirit (The Lune. Pronnounced: Loon). Every generation a young cub is born with the essence of Lune embedded within their soul. The essence of Lune is found within the greatest hunter of every generation. This young cub will grow up to become a great hunter and most probaly the new leader of the pack.

The spirit of Sola (The Sole. Pronnounced: Sol-aa) contains healing powers. The rays of light that beam down upon Orre are said to be rays of Sole, healing the planet and providing the world with life and energy. Every generation a young cub is embedded with the essence of Sole (alike the Lune). This fledgling Sa'rir is said to possess magical healing powers and will grow up to become the pack's Shaman.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2006, 03:36:08 pm »
Wait why would the cub be equipped with weapons? Are they so desperate that they send out cubs into war?!?!

Offline Gabriel

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2006, 03:42:46 pm »
Wait why would the cub be equipped with weapons? Are they so desperate that they send out cubs into war?!?!

Cheap warfare. :P

No, not really. That was just Brutus' version of a sentient Sa'rir cub. He thought that they looked better just in their cub-form and so he drew that picture to give me an idea of what they could look like.

Offline Gabriel

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2006, 04:16:22 pm »
Sa'rir Shaman (Southern Tribes)

This is a Sa'rir Shaman from the Southern Tribes (explained later). Shaman are chosen from birth. The cub's chosen are the ones who are believed to obtain the essence of Sole (The Sun Spirit). Once the Sa'rir is old enough to leave it's mother it is taken to live with the current tribe's Shaman. There they learn all about the Sa'rir and their religion. They are taught how to make medicines and potions as well as how to control and manipulate their healing abilities.

It is not until the old Shaman dies that a new one can take his place. If the Shaman passes away before he can fully train the young cub then the cub will be sent away to a neighbouring tribe to learn from their Shaman. This often brings them new knowledge and a deeper understanding of the Sa'rir's relgion (as seen from another tribe's perspective).

The symbol in the top-right hand corner represents the triad of celestial bodies. Orre is at the bottom with Sola and Luna above it.

Offline Slavik

• Atari Combat Vet
  • The Count Of Boredomness
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2006, 06:30:45 pm »
Good work with this so far. Not the most orginal design, but I like it. Can you explain some more about the Southern tribes and whatever others?

Offline Gabriel

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2006, 07:19:15 pm »
Good work with this so far. Not the most orginal design, but I like it. Can you explain some more about the Southern tribes and whatever others?

Gladly. We already know a little about the Southern Tribes so we shall give the Northern Tribes a chance to shine:

The Northern Tribes:

To the north of the expansive Orre Desert lie the vast Torra (Pronnounced: Tour-ray) Mountain Range. The Torra is home to the Northern Sa'rir Tribes. Though the Northern Tribe members are still classified as Sa'rir they are a few distinct variations between the two tribes:
  • The Northern Tribe have a two-toned grey coloured fur as opposed to the Southern Tribe whose fur is single toned and of a sandy colour. This allows them to blend in better with their rocky surrondings.
  • The Northern Tribe have longer ears than their counterparts. This improves their hearing, letting them hear further in the mountain tops.
  • The Northern Tribe's fur is thicker allowing for more conservation of heat. This comes in useful in the cold mountain nights. It also protects them from the fierce, chilling mountain winds.
A Northern Tribe Sa'rir

Fullview

Whereas the Southern Tribes are reknown for their Shaman and healing ales the Northern Tribes are better known for their strict and ruthless hunters. Due to the limited food resources located high in the mountains the Northern Tribes have been forced to hone their hunting skills to the finest degree of perfection.

Northern Tribes mostly live a nomadic lifestyle, moving from location to location until all the natural resources have been used up and they are forced to move on.

Because of the Northern Tribes' dependence on the spoils of the hunt they worship the moon celestial; Luna, above all others. They construct makeshift shrines and temples at the highest points in the mountains so that they can obtain a better view of the glowing silver orb. Before every hunt (which begins at sunset every night) the hunters and the tribe Shaman participate in a sacred hunting ritual around a blazing fire.

This ritual is designed to invoke the spirit of Luna (Lune) so that she may help the hunters on their hunt. It involves the hunters sitting around a open fire while the Shaman dances around it, singing prayers and covering the hunters in herbs and spices (said to attract the Lune). At the end of the ritual the Shaman will throw the remaining herbs into the fire thus sending the burning smell into the air and attracting the Lune down from the heavens. Immediatly after the ritual is complete the hunters leave for the hunt without saying another word.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2006, 07:26:17 pm by Gabriel »

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2006, 07:28:42 pm »
I am sorry but I can't stop thinking of this species as one of the canine furries ....

Offline Gabriel

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2006, 07:30:45 pm »
I am sorry but I can't stop thinking of this species as one of the canine furries ....
http://www.kyoht.com/archive/images/CoyoteCharacter.jpg

Think of it as that if you will. But I'll let you know; a Sa'rir could rip one of those ***** imposters to shreads within seconds of it attempting to put it's moves on it. :P

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2006, 07:57:45 pm »
Oh they can can they? I don't know about that ...  ;)