Author Topic: Building construction  (Read 7213 times)

Offline merridian

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
Building construction
« on: May 08, 2005, 10:14:54 am »
I think the idea of being able to design your own buildings is really cool, im thinking of having sort of very open spaced architecture, sort of greek with lots of collumns and archways.

What types of buildings will you guys be designing?

Also a question to anybody who might be able to answer it. How do we purchase buildings? Will there be resource management like collect X amount of wood, iron, stone etc. Or will we have to do things as a community to earn civilization points to get the next building technology? Also I know there are default buildings such as the town centre building fire pits and spear rack but when we are designing the buildings are we designing a pre-set type of building, e.g i have just reached a level where i can build tanks so i need a factory to produce them, then whatever building i design will then be used as a tank factory? And if this follows on to other buildings will it work for housing, universities, hospitals, farms, industry, etc etc.

Dont know if any of this is available as info just now or if we will just have to wait and let our imaginations run wild until we know better!! ;D

FATE DOESN'T HANG ON A WRONG OR RIGHT CHOICE, FORTUNE DEPENDS ON THE TONE OF THE VOICE

Offline Ameg

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
Re: Building construction
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2005, 12:39:02 pm »
Think mine will be kinda organic looking, like Will's village was but with a darker twist (think zerg base).

We don't know much about tech buildings, whether each vehc has its own building or all land on one, all water on another, ect Theres also the question of whether we have town centers/houses and other structures.

On a related note, looking at some of the screenshots we can see that the roads all have arrows pointing in a certain direction. Any clue or guesses as to what they mean?

Offline Tr0n

• Dragster Diehard
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2005, 01:44:33 pm »
While the buildings in the game are the least of my excitement, I'm going to do my best to make the buildings look like large towering spires with an spider-esque feel to them.  If anyone has seen the lightning spires in Battlezone 2, that's what I'm aiming for.  I'm wondering if you'll be able to put animation in buildings, like free floating orbs or something of the sort.
Hey love crusader, I want to be your space invader
For you I will descend the deepest moon crater
I is more stronger than Darth Vapour
Obey me, I is your new dictator

Offline Pinstar

• Ultima Lord
  • Your friendly neighborhood Teralyte
    • View Profile
    • The Legacy Challenge
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2005, 05:39:03 pm »
I'm definately going to try and replicate real life romanesque and gothic architecture...as best I can. Either that or make the city look like a giant habitrail.
Creator of the Legacy Challenge

Visit my spore page!
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Pinstar
Ratings and comments on all my creatures are always welcome!

Visit my Minicity
http://pinstar.myminicity.com

Offline sgore

• SunDog Pilot
  • Actually, Jeopardy is my second favorite game show
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2005, 06:43:13 pm »
I think i'm going to base my designs on board games (at least for one of my cities) I can just see it now. My creatures living in Metal Thimbles (monopoly) going to work at Rooks (chess. duh. lol) and sending the kids off to get their education at the Giant Dice.(any game you can think of involving dice.)
What meme is relevant right now? Look, just imagine I'm riffing on that. Updating signatures is exhausting.

Sam:The Ploofy Master

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2005, 06:53:17 pm »
I was thinking about this, one of the 'species' I want to attempt will be as close to two dimensional as possible. Flatland anyone?

Other thoughts, try to recreate the Black@White villages, but this time have the people work towards a goal! Maybe make a society of LEGO bircks living in giant storage tubs.

-LEGO

Offline Calqhoon

• Qix Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2005, 01:47:15 pm »
This may be a little off topic, but would really flat creatures be possible? Even with the editor, i'm not sure how the AI would react to something so thin (with seemingly little muscle power). I guess they'd be a more mentally-advanced race, rather than physical.

Which brings another question, can you just evolve your race really quickly if you only buy 'brains'? If it is possible, I suppose the early stages of development (relying more on pysical power, predatory relationships etc) would be much tougher to survive through.

Offline merridian

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2005, 02:42:27 pm »
I dont know about the possibility of flat creatures but it does sound really cool, as to evolving quickly by just buying brains, you dont really get to buy brains until you have evolved on land for a while so your creature is already going to be fairly complete so you could still develop a creature that could survive ok then just concentrate on brains from then on.

Also how about buildings that emulate windows desktop icons, my computer for town hall, stuff like that would be really weird to come across that.

"Quickly we must destroy the giant recycle bin before more tanks come from the CD-ROM shortcut factory....... OH MY GOD they are attacking with giant flying mouse pointers!!! AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!"
FATE DOESN'T HANG ON A WRONG OR RIGHT CHOICE, FORTUNE DEPENDS ON THE TONE OF THE VOICE

Offline Calqhoon

• Qix Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2005, 03:11:36 pm »
I can't wait to build a planet-destroying bowl of cereal :)

I don't want to set my hopes too high with regards to customisation, but I really hope the options will be as good as (or better than) I imagine them.

Offline Cosmo

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2005, 07:42:13 pm »
Wouldn't mind being able to build the mushroom towers grown from deadra souls ala Morrowind.

I think it might be on the near impossible side though.

Offline xcoldcloudx

• Intellivision Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2005, 05:33:05 am »
well im going to make plant like looking buildings for my pikmin creature.

Offline Behumat

• Joust Warrior
  • Coruscant committee to fight urban sprawl
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2005, 08:14:56 pm »
All my cities are going to be hexagon shaped, so over time, all my worlds will come to resemble table top war games. Other races will fall asleep at the meer site of them! Mwa ha ha ha haaaa! :P

Offline Dauntless

• Pac-Man Maniac
  • EA = Electronic A*seholes
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2005, 01:09:28 am »
I think I'll be going for the 'high-tech' looking cities, like Will's enemy in the Demo  :)
dd/mm/yy

Remember, the Spore will be with you....one day

http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Plusi - My SPOREPEDIA Page

Offline James Shields

• Asteroids Aficionado
  • I'm the best of the best you can forget the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2005, 05:05:29 am »
I want my buildings to look spikey and dangerous
« Last Edit: May 18, 2005, 05:08:37 am by James Shields »
Violets are blue, roses are red.