Poll

Do you want fleets in this game?

Yes, I want detailed armadas.
No, I just want UFOs, no armadas at all.
I don't care.
I just want a very simple warship class.

Author Topic: Fleet and armada poll!  (Read 7424 times)

Offline Armadous

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
Re: FLEETS/ARMADAS/WHATEVER POLL!
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2006, 11:07:47 am »
Aramdas for me are are a must to create a well rounded galacti simulator. Without fleets of ships encountering and engaging one another it just woulden't seem real.

However, I don't want to micromanage it. I'm not looking for an RTS here, I just want to say mark an enemy planet for invasion and set what percent of my current fleet I want to invade and they go about invading. Then I get to sit back and watch the fireworks.

I of course want to be able to design the ships including the ability to create stuff like carriers, missile boats, and sensor ships and have them behave and fight like they should. That may seem a bit unrealistic but the game can allready take any discombobulation of a creature you throw at, then animate and texture it. Given that don't think it's so unrealistic to think that armadas are byond the realm of possability.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2006, 11:10:15 am by Armadous »

Gaming Stream : winamp required

Offline Brutus

• Ice Climber
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2006, 11:11:21 am »
i only support this if its completly optional.
Never mind your own business.

Offline Vivec

• Gauntlet Wizard
  • The truth has vanished into darkness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2006, 11:13:47 am »
i only support this if its completly optional.

Yeah, same here. I'm gonna be busy colonizing, doing genetic experiments, and I don't have time for armadas.
Vivec, you're the best forum member ever.

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2006, 11:17:59 am »
I'm pretty sure any developers that have been reading this board have seen this topic discussed enough to see that quite a few people want armadas and fleets and stuff.

Me, I don't care. I would just want it to be practical enough if I were to go the 'one-man army' route. Formations and strategies? No, that's okay. I'll take my simple single-unit controls over that any day.
Also, I seem to like Will's idea that the UFO becomes your avatar for that point in the game. Pretty sure he's the one who said that anyway.
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline xip

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
    • xip software
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2006, 11:40:25 am »
@Brutus_ and Vivec:
Why do you even think this who'd be anything except optional?, No one will force you to do anything ... it goes against everything this game stands for.
you probably dint even have to get to the UFO stage, and just spent for ever on your little planet playing around with your tanks.

but the fact that the devs Don't add a such a major important part to space-games, for those ho really badly want it, is going to go back and bite them in the ass.
/WushuKid

Offline SmileyMan

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2006, 11:44:21 am »
I would create my own Empire fleet, and my main battleship would be called: "KIRBY DESTROYER". xD

Offline Brutus

• Ice Climber
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2006, 11:48:05 am »
well whats to stop the enemy making a fleet, its ok but only if they only make fleets when you do.
Never mind your own business.

Offline aquaman

• Q*Bert Qrazy
  • Must...Get....SPORE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2006, 11:49:42 am »
THANKS FOR HAVING THE TITLE IN CAPITALS AND WITH AN EXCLAMATION MARK AT THE END.

OTHERWISE I WOULDN'T BE ABLE TO READ ENGLISH PROPERLY!!!  :P

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2006, 11:52:48 am »
THANKS FOR HAVING THE TITLE IN CAPITALS AND WITH AN EXCLAMATION MARK AT THE END.

OTHERWISE I WOULDN'T BE ABLE TO READ ENGLISH PROPERLY!!!  :P

WHAT DO YOU EXPECT FROM A GUY WHOSE USERNAME IS IN CAPITALS?

Offline aquaman

• Q*Bert Qrazy
  • Must...Get....SPORE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2006, 12:05:43 pm »

OTHERWISE I WOULDN'T BE ABLE TO READ ENGLISH PROPERLY!!! :P

WHAT DO YOU EXPECT FROM A GUY WHOSE USERNAME IS IN CAPITALS?

SPEAK UP!!!  ???

Offline xip

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
    • xip software
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2006, 12:39:09 pm »
@Brutus_: i don't mind if my opponent NPC players get star-fleets, in fact, i Demand that Thai do!:P
i think things who'd be a bit booring if thy didn't.

but sure, I anderstand that people don't want to be stressed about about being attacked and destroyed before thy even get to invent weapons to defend them self... and sure, I also want to explore and invent every possible solution in evolution before being attacked and destroyd by any aliens, but there is always solutions to stuff like this. it is more an issues of figuring out a nice protective rules that dont limit the game to mutch.

I'm confident it who'd be possible to apply fleets for opponent NPC, without it killing of the balance of the game.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2006, 12:47:12 pm by xip »
/WushuKid

Offline patsplats

• Zork Emperor
  • bwahahaha e=fish bwahahah
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2006, 01:22:26 pm »
@Brutus_: i don't mind if my opponent NPC players get star-fleets, in fact, i Demand that Thai do!:P
i think things who'd be a bit booring if thy didn't.

but sure, I anderstand that people don't want to be stressed about about being attacked and destroyed before thy even get to invent weapons to defend them self... and sure, I also want to explore and invent every possible solution in evolution before being attacked and destroyd by any aliens, but there is always solutions to stuff like this. it is more an issues of figuring out a nice protective rules that dont limit the game to mutch.

I'm confident it who'd be possible to apply fleets for opponent NPC, without it killing of the balance of the game.
did you mention to read anything they said they wouldnt attack you and only colinize until you hurt them first allthough taking out their home planet first before they left would take care of it
Code:

Offline 10-Neon

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2006, 01:43:37 pm »
Maybe by not building a fleet of your own, it is assumed that that saved money would have gone into upgrading your UFO and civilization. A player with a fleet will be able to tackle enemy fleets with their fleets, while a player without would take them on with a superior UFO and planetary defenses.
"The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate." -The Resteraunt at the End of the Universe

Offline Lu Yan

• Video Pinball Wizard
  • That's a nice spear! Do you use it to Fish?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2006, 06:03:34 pm »
I would like a space fleet, though I could live without one. Look at a game like "Destroy All Humans" and you see how effective a one ship fleet can be.

-Lu Yan

Offline xip

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
    • xip software
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2006, 06:26:15 pm »
@patsplats:

I read everything ... and yeas, i have read the hole 'only attack after being attacked' thing... witch i personally think sucks, and THAT is an perfect example of an protective rule that damages and limits the game play.

/WushuKid