Author Topic: Energy sources?  (Read 6425 times)

Offline slugfly

• Time Pilot Trekker
    • View Profile
    • SporeFanatic
Re: Energy sources?
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2006, 10:01:39 pm »
there are only 2 kinds of energy, kinetic and potential.

electrical, coal, hydro and nuclear are usually kinetic energy but they derive from potential energy sources (except hydro, that's kinetic pretty much the whole way through).  And I think this post is more aimed at types of sources rather than types of energy...  prolly why the title is 'energy sources'  ;)

Offline Mcilroy

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2006, 10:05:00 pm »
My species would not rape there planet resources and land or pollute the ground and the sky and choose to live in symbios with it ...Only natrual energy or none pollutant forms such as hydrogen or cold fusion ...etc etc ..Hopefully when they are at the advanced space stage they will develope Matter-Anti matter power plants or Zero Point Energy ... ;D
I think I just had a Sporegasm......

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
    • My Digitalart.org profile
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2006, 10:46:50 pm »
You'll never get to the Space Age without coal and nuclear power! Never, hear me, never!  :P
Seriosuly though, I don't think pullotion will be in the game, and for all we know, neither will energy.

Offline Chickenman297

• Scramble Skipper
  • So there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2006, 11:45:16 pm »

electrical, coal, hydro and nuclear are usually kinetic energy but they derive from potential energy sources (except hydro, that's kinetic pretty much the whole way through). And I think this post is more aimed at types of sources rather than types of energy... prolly why the title is 'energy sources' ;)
I always thought there were more kinds. You could say that electrical energy is the motion of electrons and is therefore kenetic energy, but nuclear energy is the energy stored within an atom, it binds the subatomic particles together. Thus when an atom splits, it releases its energy, therefore it can be described as potential energy. What about solar energy? Can it be classified as kinetic or potential energy?

Edit:  What about heat energy?  I think the theory is that it consists of the vibration of atomic structures so the faster they move, the more heat energy they have.  I'm just speculating here because my degree is in IT, not physics, but I find physics to be interesting
« Last Edit: April 04, 2006, 11:47:49 pm by Chickenman297 »
Book, book, book

Offline Doomstrom

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2006, 11:54:56 pm »

electrical, coal, hydro and nuclear are usually kinetic energy but they derive from potential energy sources (except hydro, that's kinetic pretty much the whole way through). And I think this post is more aimed at types of sources rather than types of energy... prolly why the title is 'energy sources' ;)

Actually there is chemical energy aswell :)
#1 Spore Fan. You better believe it.

Offline kmr

• Fishing Derby Champion
  • One hep cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2006, 12:29:21 am »
What sort of energy source will be used to power our civ?

None. ::)

Why? Because it's a flotsam tacked-on thing to do. It the same thing as with the question What element will our creatures be based on?, or in other words, an entirely unnecessary, not to say useless question to be asking.
Graduate of the LeRoy Funkified Badass School of Soul.

Offline Tantalus

• Bezerk Brawler
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2006, 12:56:51 am »
Kmr you deny the power of Hamster powered submarines? You will woe the day you crossed paths with the Hampster Alliance, woe woe whoopi goldberg

Offline Chickenman297

• Scramble Skipper
  • So there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2006, 01:03:26 am »
OF COURSE!!!!!!  There is Hamster energy as well  ;D ;D :D :D :P
Book, book, book

Offline SmileyMan

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2006, 03:56:12 am »
I personally hope that there will be energy. Would be so fun and "educational" in the editor to try and create your own form of machine to harvest oil etc.

Offline Mr. Consideration

• Goddess of Phobos
  • Merry Christmarx, one and all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2006, 08:35:58 am »
there are 7 kinds of energy:
Electrical
Light
Sound
Kinetic
Thermal
Gravitational Potential
Elastic
Chemical

These are seperate from energy sources. Thought i'd clear that up.

My creature will either A) Treat Thier Planet with respect, Loving the trees etc
B) Strip Planets bare, burning all natural things in the fires of industry.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Yes, I am aware of the irony.

Offline Megajames75

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2006, 10:55:48 am »
so not much difference beteew those choies
My sporepedia page:

http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Cold-Fire

I have over 50 creatures, I only upload my best so each of these should be good. All my creatures work ingame, and are beliveable.

Please take a look at my sporecast of the Flob species:

http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=ssc-500012834975

Offline mrodgers

• Choplifter Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2006, 11:01:56 am »
there are 2 kinds of energy:

Electrical, Light, Sound ==> Kinetic

Thermal ==> Potential or Kinetic depending on if you are talking about in the macro or micro/nano scale

Gravitational Potential, Elastic, Chemical ==> Potential

Just thought I would clear that up.  If you doubt it, please go read a physics book.

As for energy sources, I wouldn't be surprised if we got to choose how we want our energy produced.  All the SimCity games had the choice, though I imagine it would be either more limited and more general in this case.\

i.e. Coal, oil, wood, hamsters --> Bio-energy
     nuclear
     fusion
     solar
     wind
     water (though I don't think we will see hydro power)
Check out my (Thurlin's) creatures, building, and vehicles.  You won't be disappointed.

http://www.spore.com/flash/csa_widget.swf?userid=2263477425&username=Thurlin&host=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spore.com%2Fview%2Fuser-thumbnail

Offline Behumat

• Joust Warrior
  • Coruscant committee to fight urban sprawl
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2006, 11:26:26 am »
What about caffeine? Is Caffeine an energy? I don't think you can get to the industrial revolution without it.

Offline Brutus

• Ice Climber
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2006, 11:50:41 am »
you could buy batteries from another species, owned!!!!
Never mind your own business.

Offline 10-Neon

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2006, 02:36:15 pm »
Certainly no game would be complete without the ability to take energy from its most abundant source: the past? Some claim that such practices are erroding the present, which is also being eroded by people taking our energy to power the future, but this is all speculation.
"The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate." -The Resteraunt at the End of the Universe