Author Topic: BMI and why it makes me squeal with glee!  (Read 2134 times)

Offline Madchat18

• Mystery House Madman
  • The "I'm Not a ____, but..." King
    • View Profile
BMI and why it makes me squeal with glee!
« on: April 04, 2006, 09:43:09 am »
Hi everyone! For so long the military has made me feel like a fat, disgusting hog of a man because of a thing called the PT Test. Once a year you are tested on waist measurement, push-ups, sit-ups and a 1 1/2 mile run. I always max out my push-ups and sit-ups and get around a 13 minute run time but my waist measurement kills my score.

The way the Air Force has it set up is that unless you have a 32-inch waist you can't max your score. I was measured today at a 36-inch waist, weighing 186 pounds and standing 6'2 1/2" tall.

Using these measurements I could only get "Marginal" score which would make me have to attend a "Healthy Living" class followed by remedial PT every day of the work-week. Basically it's just embarrassing and sucks.

I was kind of bummed out about it until I started reading the regulations on the PT test and found a nice little section about BMI which saids that if I had a BMI less than 25 I would automatically get full points for my waist measurement (which is like having a 32" waist). I found a bunch of BMI calculators on-line and lo'and behold I have a 23.9 BMI score.

Thank you science (and reading the regs) for saving my butt!

I know that none of this matters to you, but hopefully you can see that there are always alternatives, and you should know the rules.

This space for sale.

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
Re: BMI and why it makes me squeal with glee!
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006, 09:53:49 am »
Well done Madchat. :)

Reading the rules like a lawyer means you win a lot more than other people. There are always loopholes.

That's one of my favourite challenges as a boardgame designer - closing off potential loopholes. Still, you're always surprised when it comes to playtest because there's always something you haven't thought of which some smart-alec pulls out of their backside.

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2006, 11:30:09 am »
Good for you! For your height and weight you seem perfectly normal to me. The military has archaic standards. Three cheers for BMI.

Offline Madchat18

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2006, 12:53:33 pm »
Good for you! For your height and weight you seem perfectly normal to me. The military has archaic standards. Three cheers for BMI.

Thank you!

That's the thing. Whenever I get taped they always have to remeasure me because I don't look like a 36 waist. I have broad shoulders and I guess wide (NOT CHILD-BEARING) hips. Maybe it's because I'm Irish/Scottish or something.
This space for sale.

Offline Behumat

• Joust Warrior
  • Coruscant committee to fight urban sprawl
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2006, 01:18:01 pm »
yea, that was always a big complaint I heard while I was in the ARMY. The militaries height weight standards are about fifty years out of date, created in a time when it was primarily populated by people who grew up during the great depression. Where food wasn't always plentiful, so they tended to get fewer of the nutrients necessary to reach full growth potential. (Basically, they were shorter, with less muscle). Sometimes I look at my grandfathers navy uniform, and I think, "My god, he must have looked like a child!" There was a push to revise them, but once these terror wars broke out, it kind of got put on the backburner.

Offline Kaze

• Adventure Ace
  • Vicious Polar Bear
    • View Profile
    • EČ
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2006, 04:28:20 pm »
As long as you're happy and healthy, not much else matters. My waist isn't too small, especially as I've been trying to gain weight, because it all seems to go there, but I'm still perfectly healthy, and definitely happy There's too much emphasis on one's waistline, apparently in the army, and everywhere else as well. Not every is built the same, so not everyone is going to have a tiny waist. Especailly when you're 6'2" Madchat ;) Glad you found the BMI rule :)

By the way, that avatar is very distrubing.

Offline Madchat18

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2006, 04:33:42 pm »
As long as you're happy and healthy, not much else matters. My waist isn't too small, especially as I've been trying to gain weight, because it all seems to go there, but I'm still perfectly healthy, and definitely happy There's too much emphasis on one's waistline, apparently in the army, and everywhere else as well. Not every is built the same, so not everyone is going to have a tiny waist. Especailly when you're 6'2" Madchat ;) Glad you found the BMI rule :)

By the way, that avatar is very distrubing.

;D My avatar looks just like me.

Anyone near Shreveport that wants to go see a movie or something tonight. LOL, I'm bored out of my mind!
This space for sale.