Author Topic: Steve and Plants  (Read 3757 times)

Offline Demorgora

• Video Pinball Wizard
    • View Profile
Steve and Plants
« on: May 06, 2005, 04:45:40 pm »
In one of your podcasts, you commented on the possibility of plants being able to contribute to evolution, but quickly denied it. Why do you feel this way? Personally, I think it is simply the logical thing to do in a game based on evolution.

Offline Stromko

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
Re: Steve and Plants
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2005, 06:08:18 pm »
If we're able to eat specific parts off of other creatures, it might make sense for you to have to reach up to bite specific parts off plants, leaves and branches or whatever. That might drive evolution, if true. So far unconfirmed if there's herbovores at all, would be a strange ommission but AFAIK nobody's seen plant eaters in Spore yet.

Offline Demorgora

• Video Pinball Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2005, 07:56:58 pm »
I would feel rather burned if they omitted it since it wouldn't make much sense at all and it would begin to make me question what other things they've omitted.

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2005, 05:43:10 pm »
Plants eh? I don't really remember exactly what I said, but I think I said something about you not being able to make plants. I think the reason I was thinking this is that plants aren't directly related to your creature. You can evolve your creature, it's technology, it's tools, and related items, but I don't think you can control anything outside this area. So you wouldn't be able to control plants, other creatures, and so on.

I would think that you could probably eat plants, but I'm not sure you could "live" off plants and plants only. I would think you need to have conflict in the game and therefore will need to attack and live off other creatures during the game. I guess I'll find out more in a few weeks!
Check out Gaming Steve on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/thegamingsteve

Offline Varsity

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2005, 07:06:11 am »
Woah, reading that first post made me think and I realized it for the first time.

I was thinking that I would be able to evolve my creature exactly the way I wanted, how it looked, how it acted, etc.  But the environment is one of the biggest factor, its all about the luck of the draw, if your creature lives in a world of huge and fast beasts, either your creature has to be able to hide, run, fight back, etc. to survive.

What works on one world, completely and utterly fails on another...
XYZZY!

Offline Nuriboy

• Space Invaders Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2005, 10:00:07 am »
It seems a shame to be able to control fauna but not flora... I always thought the cooler aspects of the star wars universe wasn't just the creatures, but all the detail such as plant life, geology ect...

I would like to believe that we would at least have some control over the appearance, otherwise the planets we create may not have a great deal of diversity. Also the name itself.. spore is quite suggestive, even if it isn't the "official name" yet. After all most living breathing organisms do not reproduce by spores.. thats how plants do things.

And if we have a level of control over the atmosphere our creatures breath then it would be silly not to include plants some how.

Just my two cents anyway.
It could be frankie. It could be very fresh and clean. It could be a balloon.

Wulf

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2005, 11:25:52 am »
Please send your two cents via mail order to: "Wulfy Mc. Wulf-Wulf PO BOX: 45086 Adelaide Australia"

Though it might be fun to design some plants I don't really think it is a feature worth implementing. (zomg design words)