Author Topic: Buildings... what will they do?  (Read 4763 times)

Offline Helvetica

• Brain Games Mastermind
  • L' OM
    • View Profile
Buildings... what will they do?
« on: April 03, 2006, 10:54:22 pm »
What do you think the buildings will do in the game?

I have a feeling they will function along the lines of Starcraft/Command and Conquer.

In the spirit of making this a discussion Ill discuss further after a few other posts from other people...(I just have a feeling that someone else could be more creative than me.)

Offline JakeCourtney

• Vanguard Venturer
  • The Godfather
    • View Profile
Re: Buildings... what will they do?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2006, 10:56:19 pm »
Yes, I bet each building has a function or abilities with it.  Maybe one for upgrade to defense or health, along those lines.

Offline Samog

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • objectivists are dumb
    • View Profile
    • -
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2006, 11:10:58 pm »
Probably the same things that the buildings in Sim City and Civilization did.
"Fine. Don't believe me. I'm not lying. all your laziness which you mistake for something funney is driving me insane, quit fooling around!  dude this is just wrong, very wrong. reality does not consist of constrained language. go lock this thread malt. I love the payment."4MOD

Offline JakeCourtney

• Vanguard Venturer
  • The Godfather
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2006, 11:15:55 pm »
They will have some kind of function.

Offline Tantalus

• Bezerk Brawler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2006, 11:26:23 pm »
It may be possible that a great deal of the buildings are just fluff with a few key components like, I hate to say it so many times, but like GalCiv's ship editor.

Offline aquaman

• Q*Bert Qrazy
  • Must...Get....SPORE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2006, 12:13:22 am »
Well, we know from the video that some buildings increase happiness.  So I imagine that its similar to civ where each building increases certain values such as happiness, population, health, production.  But I'm just speculating.

Offline slugfly

• Time Pilot Trekker
    • View Profile
    • SporeFanatic
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2006, 03:49:13 am »
Probably the same things that the buildings in Sim City

I suspect that this guy has played Simcity and somehow made the stretch that they might have been designed by the same person   ::)

I'm quite sure that it will be like in Simcity, where buildings improve happiness, lower crime, etc.  I do suspect that we'll need certain buildings to construct certain objects, but I don't think it will be like an RTS where you click 10 of an object and a minute and a half later you have 10 of that unit.

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
    • My Digitalart.org profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2006, 04:03:53 am »
Some buildings will create/enhance/produce culture. You can decide yourself what these buildings will be since culture is so broad.

Offline aquaman

• Q*Bert Qrazy
  • Must...Get....SPORE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2006, 04:11:44 am »
Do you think that if certain buildings effect the city, the modifying of those buildings effect the value.

For example, lets pretend that I can select a hospital from the building shop list, and I modify it to look horrible (muahaha).  Do you think the way I modify it would change its affect on the city (i.e. less health).

Or is it more likely that each buildings has set values (for health, population etc) and no matter what I do to it (apart from delete it all in the editor) it won't change them?

Offline slugfly

• Time Pilot Trekker
    • View Profile
    • SporeFanatic
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2006, 04:33:02 am »
I think that the computer will try to nail down the theme of the city (similar shapes, placements of shapes on buildings, door/window styles, etc.) and then if a building doesn't match the ruling them (which could be changed gradually anyway) then there will be a negative effect on the happiness of your people.

Offline Schiz

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2006, 06:15:26 am »
I think that the computer will try to nail down the theme of the city (similar shapes, placements of shapes on buildings, door/window styles, etc.) and then if a building doesn't match the ruling them (which could be changed gradually anyway) then there will be a negative effect on the happiness of your people.
don't think it'll always be a negative effect. but i agree with the thought of theme calculation.

the buildings will probably have slots within them. big buildings will have more slots then small (but also use up more space and cost more ot build)the slots can be  filled with points (cultural points, building speed points or economic points)

my 2 cents

Offline Ciddler

• Asteroids Aficionado
  • I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts
    • View Profile
    • My Spore!
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2006, 06:39:36 am »
I figure it'll be something like Civilization 4. Barracks for instance decrease the time for units to be built. Walls in your city are better defense. A temple for your god(s) will give you more cultural influence and a  market improved the commerce in the city and a little bit of culture or something of the sort. Maybe special boni if you give the building certain additions, or make it bigger than normal. That however would require it to cost more or take longer to be built.

Offline Brutus

• Ice Climber
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2006, 12:22:46 pm »
well, i think each building will have a editor and a use so i think each compartment of a building will have a use or each building will have a use, eg , house , lots of house, defenses etc etc
Never mind your own business.

Offline Samog

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • objectivists are dumb
    • View Profile
    • -
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2006, 01:51:07 pm »

(a new image macro!)

Seriously though, I wouldn't like that.
"Fine. Don't believe me. I'm not lying. all your laziness which you mistake for something funney is driving me insane, quit fooling around!  dude this is just wrong, very wrong. reality does not consist of constrained language. go lock this thread malt. I love the payment."4MOD

Offline ProfPendragon

• Asteroids Aficionado
  • Enigma University Life Sciences Experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2006, 02:17:56 pm »
Since so much of this game plays itself, I wonder if the critters themselves will build without your direct consent?  Or rather, maybe LIKE SimCity, you could zone areas, and then they build their own stuff following your theme? Or will every rock tree and stone in the city walls be put there by you? 
Spore ID: ProfPendragon