Author Topic: Spyware help needed  (Read 5847 times)

Offline Kaze

• Adventure Ace
  • Vicious Polar Bear
    • View Profile
    • EČ
Re: Spyware help needed
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2006, 07:46:10 pm »
Try HijackThis. This application will detect all non-default background processes and browser settings, along with suspicious registry settings, then allow you the option of fixing those you wish to fix. As it detects even things you don't want to delete, if you are unfamilar with the system being scanned (which you likely are, since this is for a friend), I recomment posting the logfile to this forum for help figuring out what needs to go.

In the past, this has been my last resort in removing malware of any kind. Sometimes it will not even be able to remove the problem, but it will find it, which will then enable you to search Google for a fix.

Anyhow, good luck figuring things out, spyware is such a pain.

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2006, 08:09:45 pm »
Thank you for all the suggestions, keep them coming please. Going to try them all I think.

Offline Tonjevic

• Scramble Skipper
  • Victori Jane Surn
    • View Profile
    • It's my muck-around space.
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2006, 01:12:26 am »
I personally use Spyware Doctor, Spysweeper, Ad-aware SE, Spybot search and destroy and the microsoft defender.

Also, some general tips if you're being raped by spyware:

-  Use a web browser other than IE Use Opera IE is actually more secure than Firefox, I believe.

Zonealarm security suite is very good. I use it. It costs money, but it is some of the best protection you can get.

-Understated elegance.

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2006, 09:41:51 am »
Where I work (18,000 PCs) we currently use PestPatrol for the majority of our clean up. In our testing, we found that the Microsoft product  (now call Defender) was the best product currently available. Note that the 'update' feature of Defender is semi-functional, and that to get the updates for it you're best off going through the Microsoft Updates page.

It should be noted that Microsoft is going to soon begin testing an all-in-one product that will cover Mal-ware, Spy-ware, Virus-protection, etc... Beta 2 is due this week or next with large scale Beta release near the end of hte year.

Norton and its ilk are...well... lets keep this friendly.

-Lego