Author Topic: Creature intelligence evolution.  (Read 8367 times)

Offline Samog

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • objectivists are dumb
    • View Profile
    • -
Re: Creature intelligence evolution.
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2005, 02:38:26 pm »
That statement has a different meaning out of context and I propose that it be stricken from the record.
"Fine. Don't believe me. I'm not lying. all your laziness which you mistake for something funney is driving me insane, quit fooling around!  dude this is just wrong, very wrong. reality does not consist of constrained language. go lock this thread malt. I love the payment."4MOD

Offline Behumat

• Joust Warrior
  • Coruscant committee to fight urban sprawl
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2005, 12:01:19 pm »
Staying back in the creature stage, I wonder if you will be required to have a certain size brain to utilize a sort of "pack hunting strategy" control (dogs), or to make complex structures (bees), or advanced camoflague (octopus).

I would think that pack/herd behavior would not require hardly any intelligence. I don't believe an ant ever makes a decison, for instance. They seem fairly robot-like in that given the same stimulus, they will always react the same way. All herding requires is a tendency to stay near members of the same species. Dogs/wolves may be another story. I actually have no idea what their hunting behavior is like, or any other pack hunting creature. Is it mostly "oh! we're hunting! time to be sneaky until we strike." or is there evidence of planning/strategies being used?

hmm...I'm off to google "pack hunting behavior"!
Wolves have been known to use a female wolf in heat to lure away sled dogs so the rest of the pack can fall upon them devouring them.

Offline Borogove

• Venture Conqueror
  • mimsy: adj. - flimsy and miserable :(
    • View Profile
    • Meyermike.com
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2005, 02:15:08 pm »
Wolves have been known to use a female wolf in heat to lure away sled dogs so the rest of the pack can fall upon them devouring them.

:o
Wolf Seductresses?

I am so gonna make a race of Amazon Slave Drivers from Venus when I get Spore.
Use those talents you have. You will make it. You will give joy to the world. Take this tip from nature: The woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except those who sang best.
-- Bernard Meltzer

Check out my games:  http://www.meyermike.com

Offline Henry

• Video Pinball Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2005, 03:22:52 pm »
It all plays out pretty realistically, actually. If a creature could dominate naturally, there would be no need to become intelligent. But if a creature is weak, say, humans, then they would want to be intelligent to live.

Offline GrrrArrgh

• Venture Conqueror
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2005, 05:20:52 pm »

I would think that pack/herd behavior would not require hardly any intelligence.  I don't believe an ant ever makes a decison, for instance.  They seem fairly robot-like in that given the same stimulus, they will always react the same way.  All herding requires is a tendency to stay near members of the same species.  Dogs/wolves may be another story.  I actually have no idea what their hunting behavior is like, or any other pack hunting creature.  Is it mostly "oh! we're hunting! time to be sneaky until we strike." or is there evidence of planning/strategies being used?

hmm...I'm off to google "pack hunting behavior"!

Ok I'm late with this and it's a moot point in any case but: Ants have more of what you'd call a hive mentality. Not really the same as a pack or herd.
There is a method to my madness. That method is in and of itself quite mad, but it is method nonetheless.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2006, 12:42:24 am »
Ever notice that topics seem to be recycled after everybody forgets about them? I'm not complaining about people that do it (i'm probably guilty), just observing.

Yes i have noticed this Samog.  ;)