Author Topic: Hackig games: ala UPLLINK... are there others?  (Read 3155 times)

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
Hackig games: ala UPLLINK... are there others?
« on: May 06, 2005, 10:20:30 am »
I played Uplink and had a lot of fun with it, but after a while it got too repetaive. When I had purchsed it there was talk of other 'hacker' games in the works, but searching 'hacking' 'games' 'simultation' in Google or any other search engine gives you a massive list of malware/adware/spyware sites that make your PC turn in to a brick. (btw I surf using VMware or VirtualPC and reset my virtual system after I'm done... I'd advise others to do so as well).

Anyone know of any?
-Lego

Offline Tr0n

• Dragster Diehard
    • View Profile
Re: Hackig games: ala UPLLINK... are there others?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2005, 12:17:13 pm »
There's one other game that I know of.  It's called Street Hacker.  It's much more true to life than Uplink is.  So true to life that if you're expecting the Uplink status bars and graphical this-n-thats and the blips and boops, you're going to be disappointed.  Street Hacker also involves a LOT of skill later on.  But it's closer to the real thing (but still so far away) than Uplink is.
Hey love crusader, I want to be your space invader
For you I will descend the deepest moon crater
I is more stronger than Darth Vapour
Obey me, I is your new dictator

Offline Ketro Fett

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2005, 12:09:13 am »
How do YOU know what real hacking's like? :P

Does it have a demo out?

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2005, 06:26:44 am »
How do YOU know what real hacking's like? :P

Does it have a demo out?

'Good' hacking, classical definition, not the criminal definition, pays my bills. :)
-Lego

Offline Tr0n

• Dragster Diehard
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2005, 09:15:08 am »
I know what real hacking is like.... then again, I only experienced a sample by taking classes and having a college-wide competition.  I dare not try any attacks in the wild... that's kinda like asking to go to jail (especially at my skill level).  If there were any "real" hacking sims, no one would play them... why?  Well, you spend most of your time skimming source code and looking to vulnerabilities, then programming assembly language to exploit that code.  It's more like a research project, only with more Mountain Dew and Cheetoo's.  Hacking and computer security is NOTHING like it is on TV and in the movies and in these games.  It's a shame people have come to think that hacking is like an FPS with bright windows popping up everywhere, each of them making an informative and uselss beep each time.  Hacking is generally a slow and sleek operation.... the thrill of the attack is quick and usuall no one on the target system has any idea you're there... until it's too late (DUN DUN duuuuun!!!)
Hey love crusader, I want to be your space invader
For you I will descend the deepest moon crater
I is more stronger than Darth Vapour
Obey me, I is your new dictator

Offline Ameg

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2005, 01:39:59 pm »
 Yeah, my parents who run their own internet security business were watching the classic movie "Hackers" with Angelina Jolie and had a great laugh over how hacking was displayed in it. Man was that movie corny.

Offline Crnobog

• Pong Paddle
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2005, 07:38:17 am »
Decker - Shadowrun inspired 'hacker' game, plays a lot like a roguelike

Dark Signs - a more realistic 'console network environment simulator', has it's own scripting language even

Offline schragnasher

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2005, 04:01:07 am »
http://www.exosyphen.com/

This is what your looking for