Author Topic: "Pimp my World" let's make contests!!!  (Read 6761 times)

Offline slugfly

• Time Pilot Trekker
    • View Profile
    • SporeFanatic
"Pimp my World" let's make contests!!!
« on: April 02, 2006, 08:21:02 am »
After some initial static from naysayers, the "editor/release betting pool" thread is picking up a bit of momentum.

No matter what form they take, contests are nearly always fun  ;D  they're games in themselves.

So fellow Sporadors, let's brainstorm some contests that we can do here (or at some of the fansites that are springing up) after the game's release.  :)

The obvious ones-

screenshots:
This will be quite unique in this game because you have a whole world as your photo studio.  It's like having a 3D canvas which at any point you can turn into a 2D image for submission.

Cool Creature Awards:
based solely on aesthetics, which designs simply look best.  This could be based on categories also such as Herbivore, Carnivore, Aerial, Aquatic, Land, or mixtures of these categories.  There could also be a variation of this for microbial creatures.

The less obvious ones-

Predator Chaos:
design a predator that will face off against a huge load of other predators till only one remains standing.  This of course depends entirely on currently unknown factors.  These being 1) will we be able to isolate worlds to be free from pollinization (therefore only allowing downloaded creatures to enter) and 2) will creatures fight other creatures on their own without a player commanding them to do so.  We can hope.

Join the "Pimp my World" team!  :D  post some ideas for contests.  :)  (but keep in mind they have to be competitive allowing for a clear winner.  "kill my monster" isn't a good contest because several different people might be able to kill it and there wouldn't be a clear winner)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2006, 08:25:12 am by slugfly »

Offline Sadisticfaction

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
Re: "Pimp my World" let's make contests!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2006, 08:41:27 am »
Well, I'd make the cool creature-thing go for structures and vehicles too ;) Ooooooh, we're going to have such FUN with this game :D

Offline Granite T. Rock

• Intellivision Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Granite's Homepage
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2006, 03:22:35 pm »
That brings up an interesting idea for the game.

It'd be cool if we could build collosiums (sp?) and capture animals (or our own creatures) to battle it out.....
My Spore Profile  ****  My Spore Videos
Wii Friend Code: 7772 0178 1092 3363  Mario Kart Code: 2363-6666-4480 (PM me when you add me)

Offline starshard0

• Mystery House Madman
  • I'm waiting for Spore to come out, don't bug me.
    • View Profile
    • Starshard0's Super Blog
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2006, 05:13:19 pm »
That brings up an interesting idea for the game.

It'd be cool if we could build collosiums (sp?) and capture animals (or our own creatures) to battle it out.....
That would rock out loud!!
Bored? On the internet? Probably not, but if so, check out my blog.

Offline Skraeling

• Akalabeth Addict
  • My what big teeth I have.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2006, 05:16:06 pm »
haha spore creature deathmatch anyone?

maybe give em a little sentience and force them to play CTF over and over.

No, really.  I am a card carrying scientist.

Offline starshard0

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2006, 05:23:10 pm »
After some initial static from naysayers,...
I wasn't being a naysayer, 0 was my guess, geez. Still, these new games sound pretty fun, but we still have to wait until the game comes out.

Offline slugfly

• Time Pilot Trekker
    • View Profile
    • SporeFanatic
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2006, 08:38:19 pm »
indeed they do sound fun  :)

And 0 is a valid guess... sorry for taking a cheap shot here  ;)

Let's hear some more ideas for games  ;D   This what we got so far (if you post an idea for a game that depends on an unknown factor, make sure you state the condition)

1) screenshots:
This will be quite unique in this game because you have a whole world as your photo studio.  It's like having a 3D canvas which at any point you can turn into a 2D image for submission.

2) Top Designs:

based solely on aesthetics, which designs simply look best.  these include:

A) creature - This could be based on categories also such as Herbivore, Carnivore, Aerial, Aquatic, Land, or mixtures of these categories.

B) microbe - Same as creature, but with microbes.

C) vehicle - same as creature but with vehicles, could include categories such as land, air, sea, sub, space, amphibian, etc.

3) Predator Chaos:
design a predator that will face off against a huge load of other predators till only one remains standing.  This of course depends entirely on currently unknown factors.  These being 1) will we be able to isolate worlds to be free from pollinization (therefore only allowing downloaded creatures to enter) and 2) will creatures fight other creatures on their own without a player commanding them to do so.  We can hope.  Also, this contest might require (or at least benefit from) the creator recording and hosting a vid capture of the fight/fights

Offline starshard0

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2006, 08:40:47 pm »
How about the colonization game? We see who can colonize the most planets in the galaxy, and periodically update the winners. Of course, that depends on whether or not the game will inform you how many planets are under your control.

Or the economics game, who can make the most money, of course, someone will probably get into first place and stay there the whole time, since money leads to more money.

Offline Vivec

• Gauntlet Wizard
  • The truth has vanished into darkness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2006, 09:22:11 pm »
You can have the "Which UFO is better looking" contests, and maybe a "Most Likely to Become an Evolutionary Dead End"
Vivec, you're the best forum member ever.

Offline starshard0

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2006, 09:29:12 pm »
You can have the "Which UFO is better looking" contests, and maybe a "Most Likely to Become an Evolutionary Dead End"
Heh heh, evolutionary dead end. That would be pretty difficult actually.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2006, 09:31:18 pm »
Heh heh, evolutionary dead end. That would be pretty difficult actually.

Blind Deff No Mouthed Lemmingss with no legs who are plump and smell good to eat ;)

Offline Vivec

• Gauntlet Wizard
  • The truth has vanished into darkness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2006, 09:34:32 pm »
But there would have to be rules, like at least one grasper, two legs, etc.

So no spineless blobs of fresh meat.
Vivec, you're the best forum member ever.

Offline Lambsquirter

• Megamania Megalomaniac
  • Don't play with your food
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2006, 10:47:39 pm »
"Which race wins the planet" contest, assuming if we can have subtle variations of our creature to have races.
"Expedition" the first race to go out and find 10 unique creatures and put them back in their zoo..lol..(there would be specific categories for this, eg..find a creature with 6 legs, find a spider like creature, find a furrie...etc..and they can't be from ur own planet)
"Best City award"..title says it all
"Best city theme award" - like dr seuss style, star wars coruscant style, dome style..have to have a variety of different buildings to show.
"Coruscant award" - first race to cover their entire planet in one big city (assuming we can do that)
"Empire award" - first person to take by any means 10 star systems (have to have sentient races on them and no barren systems)
"Most unusual creature ever" award - name says it all again
"Best furry award" - yuk..but hey, someone will make one..
"Best dragon like creature" - as above
"Terraforming tycoon award" - the best terraformed planets
"Underwater wizard award" - the best underwater cities
"Race around the galaxy award" - i challenge you to a race around the galaxy..lol
"UFO madness award" - most destruction caused by ones UFO in the galaxy..hehe blown up planets, etc

Under construction

Offline Semi-Auto Badger

• Video Pinball Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2006, 12:40:01 am »
The "Pimp out my ride contest" Make a race of creatures that look pimpin, act pimpin, have pimped out houses (every second house has to be a brothel), have pimped out rides and also legalize pimping ;D

Says it all really....

Better than pancakes

Offline Chickenman297

• Scramble Skipper
  • So there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2006, 01:50:43 am »
Genetic splicers award - Who can splice the most creatures together genetically
Book, book, book

Offline NrKy

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2006, 02:52:47 am »
Yes this may sound immature, but doesn't have to be if you try to not think about this in a dirty context...

The "Biological Planet" award, going to whomever can theme their planet to have everything look like it's biological, or 'body parts', the coolest. ie. something that looks like it was created by the Xenomorphs of the Alien movies. Doesn't have to be scary looking, could also have buildings that look like body parts... AND NO PENISES ALREADY, SHEESH!

Offline Lambsquirter

• Megamania Megalomaniac
  • Don't play with your food
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2006, 03:37:36 am »
oh, that means we can have boobs
Under construction

Offline slugfly

• Time Pilot Trekker
    • View Profile
    • SporeFanatic
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2006, 04:40:02 am »
Let's hear some more ideas for games  ;D   This what we got so far (if you post an idea for a game that depends on an unknown factor, make sure you state the condition.  And try to think of contests that we could have more than once ("first" of something is hard to prove and not repeatable)

1) screenshots:

2) Top Designs:

based solely on aesthetics, which designs simply look best.  these include:

A) creature - This could be based on categories also such as Herbivore, Carnivore, Aerial, Aquatic, Land, or mixtures of these categories.

B) microbe - Same as creature, but with microbes.

C) vehicle - same as creature but with vehicles, could include categories such as land, air, sea, sub, space, amphibian, etc.

D) city - (based on size categories, undersea/land etc.)

3) Predator Chaos:
design a predator that will face off against a huge load of other predators till only one remains standing.  This of course depends entirely on currently unknown factors.  These being 1) will we be able to isolate worlds to be free from pollinization (therefore only allowing downloaded creatures to enter) and 2) will creatures fight other creatures on their own without a player commanding them to do so.  We can hope.  Also, this contest might require (or at least benefit from) the creator recording and hosting a vid capture of the fight/fights

4) Targeted Creations:
design something modelled after an out-of-game source such as a dragon, specific city, specific building or vehicle, etc.

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2006, 04:58:42 am »
Yes this may sound immature, but doesn't have to be if you try to not think about this in a dirty context...

The "Biological Planet" award, going to whomever can theme their planet to have everything look like it's biological, or 'body parts', the coolest. ie. something that looks like it was created by the Xenomorphs of the Alien movies. Doesn't have to be scary looking, could also have buildings that look like body parts... AND NO PENISES ALREADY, SHEESH!

Like Giger?

Offline starshard0

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2006, 08:15:31 am »
"Which race wins the planet" contest, assuming if we can have subtle variations of our creature to have races.
"Expedition" the first race to go out and find 10 unique creatures and put them back in their zoo..lol..(there would be specific categories for this, eg..find a creature with 6 legs, find a spider like creature, find a furrie...etc..and they can't be from ur own planet)
"Best City award"..title says it all
"Best city theme award" - like dr seuss style, star wars coruscant style, dome style..have to have a variety of different buildings to show.
"Coruscant award" - first race to cover their entire planet in one big city (assuming we can do that)
"Empire award" - first person to take by any means 10 star systems (have to have sentient races on them and no barren systems)
"Most unusual creature ever" award - name says it all again
"Best furry award" - yuk..but hey, someone will make one..
"Best dragon like creature" - as above
"Terraforming tycoon award" - the best terraformed planets
"Underwater wizard award" - the best underwater cities
"Race around the galaxy award" - i challenge you to a race around the galaxy..lol
"UFO madness award" - most destruction caused by ones UFO in the galaxy..hehe blown up planets, etc

Out of all those, I like the Coruscant one (should be called Ecumenopolis though, since that's the kind of city Coruscant is). I also like the Empire Award, because that's the kind of way I'll be playing. The best city and city theme awards sound fun. Terraforming Tycoon and Underwater Wizard sound cool, but remember we don't know exactly how underwater cities will work. I think the UFO madness award would be great if we can created black holes and stuff.

Offline slugfly

• Time Pilot Trekker
    • View Profile
    • SporeFanatic
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2006, 08:20:41 am »
also remember that any time based contests would be VERY hard to judge.  This isn't a multiplayer game.  The closest I think we can get to multiplayer type contests is a free-for-all fight between everyone's creatures and/or a 1/1 tournament fight (or 5/5 etc.)

Offline starshard0

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2006, 09:02:06 am »
also remember that any time based contests would be VERY hard to judge. This isn't a multiplayer game. The closest I think we can get to multiplayer type contests is a free-for-all fight between everyone's creatures and/or a 1/1 tournament fight (or 5/5 etc.)
What do you mean by "time based"?

Offline slugfly

• Time Pilot Trekker
    • View Profile
    • SporeFanatic
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2006, 08:27:03 pm »
by 'time based' I mean - The first to do something, or 'who can conquer this planet the fastest' etc.  These would require (more than likely) taking the word of participants "no man I swear, I conquered the entire starsytem starting from the amoeba stage in 4 minutes and 37 seconds."

The best types of contests that we could hold repeatedly would be things that would require only screens or things that would involve a judge or set of judges downloading creatures and setting them into a judging environment (and vid cap would be a huge bonus for the judges since the competitors could see the contest in action afterwards).