Author Topic: The Strokravon  (Read 3952 times)

Offline Slavik

• Atari Combat Vet
  • The Count Of Boredomness
    • View Profile
The Strokravon
« on: March 31, 2006, 04:42:27 pm »
Right, so, while most of the creatures I've thought up for Spore were fairly uncreative (Think lizardmen and you'll have the idea), it wasn't until just this morning that I had a brainstorm for a whole 'nother being. Now while I both lack artistic skill and a scanner, don't expect pics, unless some random artist around here feels like being nice enough to oblige.

First, the randomly named Strokravon (Or, for those who remember XCom, new-age Etherals) of the planet Arnsiril.

Appearance and Physical Factors: This species is an insect-like race of mentally advanced, yet physically weak space runners and experimentors. With their black, thin frame adding to an already seemingly malnourished appearance, they stand at an average of 7 feet tall and appear almost hunched over upon their two double-toed, insectesque legs while a long tail equipped with a purely intimidating blade upon its end balances out the stance. As for arms, the Strokravon do the usual manipulations with their three-fingered hands (Two large frontal fingers that start and curve downward and barely move compared to other races, with only being able to lift somewhat upwards or spread apart from their neutral side-to-side positions, while a shorter, more dexterous thumb hides behind below the wrist joint). A Strokravon's age is directly found by it's somewhat visible spine, the outter tips of each vertebrae becoming visible after a certain period of time, and the average life ends once the spine has revealed the tips midway down the tail. One aging year, or "Lavoo" in Strokravon, is about three and a half Earth years, and the average life span is about 37 Lavoos (130 years).

Their cranium features an abaft curved extension, providing a slightly better shell for their brain, while their forehead is rigid and follows up along the extension, and somewhat protecting their 6 eyes (2 larger ones while 4 smaller eyes add to their field of vision) they form near. While omnivores, their teeth are small and numerous, and most are sharp and dominant. Past that comes two larger half-mandibles which follow along the lower jaw and end with a large, surprisingly sharp tooth for what is among the race considered a mostly prehistoric ripping contraption.

Psionic Abilities: So, what with their general structure and strength lacking the capability to do most actions that require physical strains, the Strokravon instead developed their mental prowess, not just in general intelligence with technology and machinery, but in telepathic and telekinetic abilities, allowing them to fantastically manipulate their environment with varying ease, explaining why they lack many of the objects and devices other sentient species have, such as infantry weaponry, which they replace with combative telekinetic control, both of surrounding objects and their live enemies. While their range and power varies from Strokranov to Strokranov, it has specifically advanced their scientific ranges speedily and effectively, and producing their increasing interest in genetics and alien races, both sentient and non. (Though, sadly, I doubt the full version of Spore will allow for psionic powers, but I can dream.)

Religion: The religion of the Strokravon is a large factor into their lives, most prevalently in their politics, which is why I shall start with this first, so the rest will follow more smoothly. The dominant religion of their race is Dainatroism, in which it is considered that every planetary body is an empowered Urras (The Dainatro equivalent to a soul) that has since past from normal living, and now exists as a greater, controlling mass. The more pure the Urras, the larger or more prosperous the body. A person who has lived a perfect life will exist as a great star, governing over all the other planets and bodies within its influence. Before that on the moral scale would come smaller stars or shortly lasting stars which would most likely govern smaller systems, and before that would be habitable planets, the quality of the land and its species being a reflection of the Urras' past life. Hitting the negative ends of the spectrum you have uninhabitable worlds, from barren solid planets to gas giants. Going even lower, you have asteroids and comets and nebulae, and finally, the Dainatro version of Hell: a small body to be lost and broken into space-destined pieces, to break apart to have its pieces form new worlds to be used by other Urras in their new lives, or galactic death at the hands of a black hole or something similar. Disregarding the latter few, most bodies will eventually be destroyed or engulfed in some other body (Leftovers that are lost go to new worlds not its own), at which point the Urras of both masses will combine, and both will govern the ending main planetary body together in harmony.

When it comes to the concept of a creator god, Dainatroists have Narryne, a god of complete balance of both good and evil, and, as in the latter terms of god-like planets, is the entire universe, commanding, judging, and sustaining all within it by its own infinite power. While this is the chief being of worship, the Strokravon also equally respect their homeworld, Arnsiril, and their nearest star, Shronui. Their are different sects of Dainatroism besides this, mainly 3, each of which follows a certain god (Narryne, Arnsiril, or Shronui) more over than the rest, placing the reason for their own existence upon one in particular while citing the others as assistants of sorts. It should also be noted that the above description of Dainatroism is simply the modern version, where most of the newer sciences of planets and such are then explained, where as in the primitive days of the Strokravon, the belief was based around the presumptions upon what they could make from their own homeworld and the night sky. In that time, while the three main gods still existed and were worshiped, it was thought that the multitude of stars in the night sky were simply Urras of good people that had now taken form into their sky as a heavenly star, while the wicked were cast into the empty blackness in between by the gods' judgments upon their Urras. As scientific knowledge increase, the religion didn't fall, but instead grew and became more and more refined through time, until its current state.

Of course, their are other religions, but these are small and barely hold any power within the Strokravon empire. Dainatroism is the major religion, and despite the many sects, most follow along the same laws as all the others, so much so that most is government law throughout the empire. With Dainatroism being so widespread and dominant, almost all Strokravon attend a form of church, called Orouna, where they gather together to recite prayers and statements from theologists and astrologists both old and new, while telekinetically manipulating objects simutaniously, such as liquids and spiritual artifacts or materials. Along with this comes the study of a notable planetary body, and from analysing its features, describe how the Urras was in its past life.

Outside of government and Orouna, there is an odd lack of obvious Dainastroism influence, for the fact that it mostly resides in the people itself, and that most teachings do not deal with most items in everyday life, but instead upon basic morals.

Intergalactic Diplomacy and Notable Laws: The Strokravon are a shy, scientific people, and tend to steer away from meeting other sapient species, for fear of conflicts and the usual complexities, though there have been times when the Strokravon have chosen to remain hidden to a race while studying them for their own genetic purposes at times. The Strokravon do have weaponry to use if the need to enter some sort of major conflict arises, though they do not have many planetary destructive weapons, be it some major weapon that would notably scar a world, or one to totally annihilate it, and the weapons that have this capability are always put under the command of someone who would not use it for such purposes, and only use it for direct strikes on vessels or stations. This comes from their previously mentioned religion, Dainatroism, and the need to not unneedingly punish a Urras who was good enough to become a life-giving world (Although barren worlds can be targeted, but only under strict circumstances). Even terraforming equipment is to only be used on highly uninhabitable planets which have no chance to ever support life, for the belief that if that barren world fits their purposes, then that Urras has had its punishment (Being made into a barren world) and now deserves its new purpose of life. Otherwise, the world is to be left on its natural course.

Along with that, genetic enginneering and experimentation is strictly forbidden and strongly enforced, and the selling of genetic technology is highly monitered. Genetically meddling with a Strokravon in any shape or form is in almost all cases punished with death, mostly with the mindset of wanting to keep their species pure and exactly as their Arnsiril god created them as. Natural mutations are rare due to the onset of technology to keep the unborn healthy, but when it does occur, the newborn is often either given a religious standng and made as an example of Arnsiril's rare, presonal will and judgements, or shunned and sometimes even killed, depending on how extreme the Dainatroist sect is.

Right now, I sorta feel like going deeper, but due to my laziness and the need to think out some aspects, I'll stop possibly over-describing and boring you all for the moment.

Sometime later, if anyone actually pays attention to this, or feels like even reading, I'll update and continue on, if I'm bored enough.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2006, 08:03:38 pm by Slavik »

Offline noogle

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
Re: My Creatures....
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2006, 04:50:38 pm »
can you post some pictures?

Offline Slavik

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2006, 04:56:31 pm »
Now while I both lack artistic skill and a scanner, don't expect pics, unless some random artist around here feels like being nice enough to oblige.
Right at the beginning, explains all of that. Really wish I could though.

Offline noogle

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2006, 05:26:04 pm »
sorry missed that :P :-[
nice creature anyway :)

Offline Gabriel

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
Re: The Strokravon
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2006, 07:27:13 am »
Nice creature. Though the idea doesn't really spark my intrest it's orginal none-the-less. Do you mind if I have a go at drawing it?

Offline Slavik

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2006, 10:33:57 am »
Of course, go ahead.

Offline Brutus

• Ice Climber
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2006, 11:08:47 am »
i bet that when your playing this species you wont be able to maintain that way of thought, it will be too much "aaaaw i wanna blow up that planet but its a life supporting planet so i can't, damn my religion , what idiot thought it up, oh yea, me, oh well i have stopped caring!" *unlodes a holy hell of weaponry on the planet* "muhahahahahhahahaah!!!"
Never mind your own business.

Offline Slavik

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2006, 11:26:21 am »
i bet that when your playing this species you wont be able to maintain that way of thought, it will be too much "aaaaw i wanna blow up that planet but its a life supporting planet so i can't, damn my religion , what idiot thought it up, oh yea, me, oh well i have stopped caring!" *unlodes a holy hell of weaponry on the planet* "muhahahahahhahahaah!!!"
That may be the way you want to play the game. But as the smarter ones amongst us know, everyone's taste varies and so prehaps this is how I myself would like to play the game. Besides, if I wanna eradicate a planet at random, I'll channel that energy into a barren, inhospitable world whose Urras would probably deserve it.