Author Topic: Discovery Channel's "Alien Planet"  (Read 10733 times)

Offline gbCerberus

• Lunar Lander Leader
    • View Profile
Discovery Channel's "Alien Planet"
« on: May 02, 2005, 04:21:43 pm »
Finally, science programming! (Hi, first ever post. *waves*)

I came across a banner (on GameTrailers.com) for something called 'Alien Planet.' After blinking a couple times, my first thought was: "Is this Spore, in some twisted marketing campaign?" Well, bad news is that its not Spore and I realize the EA media gag order is still presently in effect. Good news is that, come May 14th, we can all salivate over something that could resemble Spore gameplay.

Here's the 'about' section - http://dsc.discovery.com/convergence/alienplanet/about/about.html
...and here's the splash screen, the page the banner took me - http://dsc.discovery.com/convergence/alienplanet/alienplanet.html

There's a lot of stuff on the site including the fictional back-story (including a tour of the fictional interstellar ship -- USS Enterprise it is not), video interviews with "big thinkers and scientists" such as Steven Hawking and Michio Kaku, and an image gallery.

So yeah, do you know what you're doing the night of May 14th?

"You can only see as far as you think."

Wulf

Re: Discovery Channel's "Alien Planet"
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2005, 10:48:59 pm »
That was on years ago...

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2005, 08:21:59 am »
No, I think this one is a new show. Either way I'm pumped up for it. It is Wayne Barlowe's book 'Expedition' brought to life. From the looks of the intro movie they've changed a dew details from the book, but the bladderhorns, daggerwrists, grovebacks, etc... they are all there.

Offline Tr0n

• Dragster Diehard
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2005, 10:17:29 am »
Welcome to the boards.  And I've seen commercials for this.  I do hope the show is a little bit more than flashy CG and some deep-voiced narrator.  I may not catch it the first time around, but I'm sure Discovery will show it a thousand more times, I'm bound to watch it one night.
Hey love crusader, I want to be your space invader
For you I will descend the deepest moon crater
I is more stronger than Darth Vapour
Obey me, I is your new dictator

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2005, 12:31:23 pm »
They are showing it five times over a roughly one week period. You can go to the links provided above and have it email you a reminder.

From what I've read they've changed the story from Expedition (in the book an alien race (Yma) befriends the humans after they've almost trashed the earth and offeres to take them to Darwin IV to check on a picture they got from a deep space probe) and instead send a set of RPVs to go see what is going on.

Wulf

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2005, 05:26:19 am »
Oh, I thought it was this show about Squidlys and Squidoths. That was a pretty bad show considering it that it was way too far fetched. I wish they kinda just showed realistic ideas on evolution.

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2005, 06:19:50 am »
I think that show was called 'Future Planet' or something like that. I agree, it was terrible. I think the closest 'OK I can believe that' on the whole show was the giant turkey. I vaguely remember the rest of the creatures, but I wasn't impressed at all.

Wayne Barlowe's art shows a general theme of an evolutionary line. As you progress from one creature to the next, you get the feeling that they would all work together on the planet they inhabit. The only thing that seems 'way out there' is the concept of a biological jet engine. I'm curious how they will explain it. (I can invent a reasonable idea, but not the power levels they are talking about.)

I sure hope they do this show right.

-Lego

Offline Vib Rib

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
  • Multiple Horrible People
    • View Profile
    • RagTag
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2005, 06:59:51 am »
I loved the Disco Squid. The one that flashed all those different colors when it tried to camoflauge? Yeah. Disco squid.
I'm ruler of this moon, boy.
So if you move, I shoots.

Offline gbCerberus

• Lunar Lander Leader
    • View Profile
Future / Alien Planet...
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2005, 11:57:09 am »
"Future Planet" went several million years into the future (I recall 50 million years, not sure if they went farther than that... A quarter billion years?), and I agree some of the ideas were pretty lame. However, the chrome spiders (the chrome was an adaptation to increased UV radiation) and the arboreal squids stand out to me as pretty cool ideas. The whole thing was a thought experiment anyway, in much the same way that Spore is more of a series of really cool ideas than it is a traditional game (or trans-genre games like Darwinia). In many ways, an Earth several million years in the future might as well be considered alien....

"Alien Planet" on the other hand is a completely distinct environment. The site says the planet's gravity is a sixth of Earth's (like Earth's moon), solar radiation is a tad less... Anyway, if you think about it, some really strange organisms have evolved here (I wish Trilobytes were still around. :( ). Google for the "Cambrian Explosion" for a few examples.
"You can only see as far as you think."

Offline Brad

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2005, 12:36:51 pm »
Oh, you mean 'The Future is Wild'?
I actually liked that.

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2005, 01:18:52 pm »
Oh, you mean 'The Future is Wild'?
I actually liked that.
THAT'S it. I give it a 4 outta 10.

Offline Brad

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2005, 04:02:24 pm »
What was so bad about it? At the very least, it was an interesting sci-fi movie. If you didn't like it because it wasn't realistic, well, neither is pretty much any other sci-fi movie with alien races in it.

Wulf

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2005, 12:54:04 am »
I'm pretty sure the idea behind it was that in millions of years humans were wiped of the planet and that allowed new creatures to evolve. The problem is that these creatures were too far fetched to be plausible. I would have preferred to see more suited and logical creatures instead of some bizarre synergy between giant squid.

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2005, 07:42:10 am »
I would have enjoyed it more if I could have been given some logical explaination of why such creatures evolved. The logic jumps were just too great to take seriously. Had they said, "Welcome to another planet, look what evolved" I guess I would have liked it more. I guess if I looked at it like a bad sci-fi movie it would have been better, and I wouldn't have been so annoyed.

Should have been on the Sci-Fi channel and not on the Discovery Channel.

-Lego

Wulf

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2005, 08:16:32 am »
Considering that it was science-fiction the sci-fi channel might have been more suited.