Author Topic: Spore as educator or agenda?  (Read 12773 times)

Offline $kelet0r

• Microvision Master
  • www.spore-game.net
    • View Profile
    • Spore-Game.net
Spore as educator or agenda?
« on: March 30, 2006, 12:35:09 pm »
As it stands now Spore aims to be recognised as individual to its peers that involve slaughter and war and set its stall out as intelligent, complex and educational.
All well and good - it's a game concept that the industry and consumer has been crying out for.
However, I am worried. Politics does that to me some times.
Why politics you ask?
Well Evolution is the scientific explanation du jour that best describes our own development and that of natural history.
Spore aims to educate.
Problem.
Spore does not reflect anything scientific - its editors are artificial constructs where we impose our will on our creatures. We decide their destiny, their arbitrary and construed appearance as god-like creatures, omnipotent and whimsical.
This is not evolution. This is an argument for intelligent design.

Intelligent Design is one of those little things that makes the rest of the world giggle about hometown, smallville, middle America - something that is as flimsy a theory in theory let alone in science up there with timecube in ridiculousness. Now for the god-fearing among you this is not meant as an insult, whether something created the universe we reside in can not be proven at least for the forseeable future - but that doesnt take away from the fact that I.D. makes absolutely no sense.
Whether Will Wright has an agenda is well to my mind unproven and probably unlikely despite the Sims and Simcity having interesting cultural additions/omissions (condoms, nudity, religion etc.). What I fear more is the potential that this game may have on the education system - where conservative educators, legislators and representatives globally may hold this game up as the messiah of gaming -
1 assuading their fears of computer gaming as a negative phenomenon which most would welcome
but
2 using the game mechanics as a vehicle for their own agendas and belief propogation.
It has been well-documented how the law, literature and media has been altered, adjusted and in some cases created to propel a right wing theology driven agenda in the US in the past decade. I fear that this video game will soon be another tool in that arsenal, only now Spore has the power to achieve more than a thousand books or films or teachers.
Such power is quite frightening, has Will Wright created a potential monster....?

Discuss

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
Re: Spore as educator or agenda?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2006, 12:36:50 pm »
here we go with the start of another evolution vs creationism argument type thread...

Offline Skraeling

• Akalabeth Addict
  • My what big teeth I have.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2006, 12:38:44 pm »
Spore as educator or agenda?

How about spore as a VIDEOGAME.  games have no rules mate.

No, really.  I am a card carrying scientist.

Offline $kelet0r

• Microvision Master
  • www.spore-game.net
    • View Profile
    • Spore-Game.net
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2006, 12:42:37 pm »
you're missing the point completely
regardless of what you think about the argument of creationism vs evolution, you would be incredibly naive to dismiss the power a game like Spore has

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2006, 12:44:19 pm »
I'm not dismissing the power that spore has, I was just bieng sarcastic about another evolution vs creationism argument type thread because we have enough of those

Offline aquaman

• Q*Bert Qrazy
  • Must...Get....SPORE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2006, 12:44:41 pm »
How about spore as a PROFIT MAKER. ;)

But seriously, I take your point and I agree, will wright may have created a powerful monster.

Offline Polymer

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2006, 01:00:45 pm »
its...a...game...Will wrights spore will create about as much commotion as black and white.

Offline Cyrus

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2006, 01:02:03 pm »
Hey, I haven't heard this discussion before...no, wait, nevemind.

Spore isn't the first game ever to involve evolution.  No religious zealots or militant aetheists got upset one way or the other over Sim Earth, and that game was about the evolution of Earth, Earth creatures, and humans.  The fact that this game is even farther removed from real life makes it even less likely anybody's going to get upset.

EA/Maxis/Will Wright doesn't have some secret political agenda.  Like Will has said about Sim City, it does not teach you anything at all about civil engineering or managing an actual city, but it may motivate you to learn more about it on your own.  One of Will's favorite quotes is "Education is not filling a bucket, but lighting a fire" - William Yeats. 
Looks like even I was being optimistic with a March 07 release date...

Offline Mason11987

• Rally-X Roadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2006, 01:03:10 pm »
As it stands now Spore aims to be recognised as individual to its peers that involve slaughter and war and set its stall out as intelligent, complex and educational.
All well and good - it's a game concept that the industry and consumer has been crying out for.
However, I am worried. Politics does that to me some times.
Why politics you ask?
Well Evolution is the scientific explanation du jour that best describes our own development and that of natural history.
Spore aims to educate.
Problem.
Spore does not reflect anything scientific - its editors are artificial constructs where we impose our will on our creatures. We decide their destiny, their arbitrary and construed appearance as god-like creatures, omnipotent and whimsical.
This is not evolution. This is an argument for intelligent design.

Intelligent Design is one of those little things that makes the rest of the world giggle about hometown, smallville, middle America - something that is as flimsy a theory in theory let alone in science up there with timecube in ridiculousness. Now for the god-fearing among you this is not meant as an insult, whether something created the universe we reside in can not be proven at least for the forseeable future - but that doesnt take away from the fact that I.D. makes absolutely no sense.
Whether Will Wright has an agenda is well to my mind unproven and probably unlikely despite the Sims and Simcity having interesting cultural additions/omissions (condoms, nudity, religion etc.). What I fear more is the potential that this game may have on the education system - where conservative educators, legislators and representatives globally may hold this game up as the messiah of gaming -
1 assuading their fears of computer gaming as a negative phenomenon which most would welcome
but
2 using the game mechanics as a vehicle for their own agendas and belief propogation.
It has been well-documented how the law, literature and media has been altered, adjusted and in some cases created to propel a right wing theology driven agenda in the US in the past decade. I fear that this video game will soon be another tool in that arsenal, only now Spore has the power to achieve more than a thousand books or films or teachers.
Such power is quite frightening, has Will Wright created a potential monster....?

Discuss

Simply put, this game was created not out of education need or agenda need, nor out of scientific need.  It was created as a game that would take use of procedural content, extremly open-ended gameply, user immersibility, the ability for the user to "own" it's creation, and content pollination.  There could have been other games that did this, but "Life" was the most profound.  Evolution is a side thought, it's not what the game is about, it's not what it inteds to be about.  It will have an impact, and some people will be upset.  But thankfully either side can say it supports them, but it doesn't matter because it doesn't support either.  So noone has a right to be pissed, but people will be.  It's a nice post, but it has been said many times here before, and it's not worth the argument to be honest.
My Sporepedia page: http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Mason11987
On GS: http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=12609.0

Maxis and Spore - Bringing your imagination to life:

Offline JakeCourtney

• Vanguard Venturer
  • The Godfather
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2006, 01:04:19 pm »
What the hell are you talking about?  Is this some kind of neo-nazi propaganda?

Offline Polymer

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2006, 01:05:14 pm »
Exactly and it's not as if we are playing this game in school. The only reason why people usually get angry and try to ban anything against religious beliefs is because the government is in someway involved. I don't know about you, but I doubt that will wright is secretly involved in politics.

Offline JakeCourtney

• Vanguard Venturer
  • The Godfather
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2006, 01:06:30 pm »
There is no God anyway, why doesn't the bible say anything about dinosaurs?

Offline Polymer

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2006, 01:08:25 pm »
it mentions it once and please don't talk about god like that your going to get this conversation off topic.

Offline aquaman

• Q*Bert Qrazy
  • Must...Get....SPORE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2006, 01:08:46 pm »
There is no God anyway, why doesn't the bible say anything about dinosaurs?

I agree - but I don't think that going to convert all religious people to atheists like myself.

Offline Cyrus

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2006, 01:10:41 pm »
Simply put, this game was created not out of education need or agenda need, nor out of scientific need.  It was created as a game that would take use of procedural content, extremly open-ended gameply, user immersibility, the ability for the user to "own" it's creation, and content pollination.  There could have been other games that did this, but "Life" was the most profound.  Evolution is a side thought, it's not what the game is about, it's not what it inteds to be about.  It will have an impact, and some people will be upset.  But thankfully either side can say it supports them, but it doesn't matter because it doesn't support either.  So noone has a right to be pissed, but people will be.  It's a nice post, but it has been said many times here before, and it's not worth the argument to be honest.

Agreed, Mason.  Evolution is ultimately a minority of your gameplay experience, for once you hit tribal, it's about advancement in technology.  I think the fact that people seem to think "religious zealots" *and* "militant aetheists" (quoting the forums) are going to be upset with this game might hint that *nobody* is going to get up in arms about this game.

And JakeCourtney - quit trying to derail this topic into yet another "Is there a God?" debate
Looks like even I was being optimistic with a March 07 release date...