Poll

This is purely a hypothetical question: What if Will Wright and Peter Molynoux partnered up to make a game? How would it turn out.

Like Disney and Square, their child would be odd but golden.
10 (41.7%)
Like a fork and a toaster, there would be alot of sparks and alot of pain.
11 (45.8%)
It wouldn't get finished, Will would lose interest.
1 (4.2%)
It wouldn't get finished, Peter would lose interest.
2 (8.3%)
Both would lose interest.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Voting closed: May 09, 2005, 11:43:52 am

Author Topic: Will Wright + Peter Molynoux= ?  (Read 8624 times)

Offline Pinstar

• Ultima Lord
  • Your friendly neighborhood Teralyte
    • View Profile
    • The Legacy Challenge
Will Wright + Peter Molynoux= ?
« on: May 02, 2005, 11:43:52 am »
Assume the two had enough funding for the project.

Creator of the Legacy Challenge

Visit my spore page!
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Pinstar
Ratings and comments on all my creatures are always welcome!

Visit my Minicity
http://pinstar.myminicity.com

Offline Tr0n

• Dragster Diehard
    • View Profile
Re: Will Wright + Peter Molynoux= ?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2005, 12:08:07 pm »
It would have the best gameplay ever, but would have one level.
It would have a ten story high cretaure, villagers, and would require a glove controller that no one could find.
Your creature would have to find work, learn how to cook, and would p*ss himself if you kept him too busy.
Meanwhile, your villagers would stir up the anger of rival Gods, and then would erect a flag to complain about it.
These same Gods you would cast fire upon your world, and your villagers would move out if you didn't build a fire station and fund it completely.
For some reason, the ultimate food for your creature would be cute, yellow, oddly shaped chickens.
But those chickens won't grow in fields with low land value.
Your village would need constant care, while required building a hospital filled with arcane diseases.  It would be a safe haven, guarded by the cynical British humor of the receptionist.
Meanwhile, your creature would learn Simlish, and be even more cryptic than if he said nothing at all.
Eventually, your godly powers would let you cast spells...provided you had the Simloeans to spare.
Powers like "Create Highway", "32x32 Pixel Super-Animal", and "Unleash All-Puropse Helicopter."
Best of all, you could spend hours digging tunnels beneath your temple and deciding which wallpaper would make it look the best.
It would get a bit tedious editing your temple in layers, putting in so many damned elevators that your villagers wouldn't know which one to use if they wanted to go to the ground floor.
Unfortunately, you'd lose your creature halfway through the level and you would lose the game because you spent so much time in the menu, micromanaging your budget so you can cast spells for the next in-game month. 

But hey, you're playing a Wright-Molyneux production... so it was probalby never released after being put off for five years because all of EA's resources were being used to make at least fifty more Sims 2 expansions... and NFL Street 4...and crappy movie rip-off games... and the next RTS title that makes absolutely no improvements upon the existing formula.

(In other words, I'd much rather have each one developing their own games... I'm more of a Will Wright fan because most of his games just appeal to me more).
Hey love crusader, I want to be your space invader
For you I will descend the deepest moon crater
I is more stronger than Darth Vapour
Obey me, I is your new dictator

Offline Pepboy

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2005, 12:15:53 pm »
Do others even put Peter in the same catagory as Will?

From what I understand, Peter had one hit (Populous) back in the old days.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but this hardly constitutes a "gaming god" or "gaming genius".  Is it not possible that Peter's game design philosophy (since its more of an art than a science at this point) is simply inappropriate for the current level technology?  I think Peter would just hold Will back, personally, especially with the ego he seems to sprout (*greatest RPG ever* cough cough).  (Not that I could do better than Peter, mind you - but it just seems to me like we are comparing Michael Jordan with Joe Schmoe and asking how good a basketball team would be with both of them on it).

Offline Vib Rib

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
  • Multiple Horrible People
    • View Profile
    • RagTag
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2005, 12:37:36 pm »
I'm very torn when it comes to Molyneux. On the one hand, he's let me down, repeatedly, on games like Fable (to a huge extent) and Black and White (to a small extent). But on the other hand, he did give us some very good stuff, Black and White still stood on its own, and The Movies will rule no matter how much stuff he rips from it.

From what I understand, Peter had one hit (Populous) back in the old days.
Then you understand wrong, my friend. Besides Populous (which WAS awesome), Molyneux was a big player back in classic Bullfrog, headlining such titles as Magic Carpet, Theme Hospital, Theme Park, and Dungeon Keeper.
He's a big name, and with good reason. But he has a terrible habit of promising everything when he can't or won't deliver. Biosphere, M.I.S.T., and Fable being prime examples.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2005, 02:36:57 pm by Vib Rib »
I'm ruler of this moon, boy.
So if you move, I shoots.

Offline Tr0n

• Dragster Diehard
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2005, 12:51:19 pm »
Molyneux did create Populous, but he also headed up Bullfrog, one of my favorite game companies (which is pretty much a less in-depth version of Maxis).  They're responsible for games like Theme Park, Dungeon Keeper, Theme Hospital, Syndicate, etc.  Those are some very pioneering games.  They helped define the "sim games are for everyone" genre.  WIll Wright had the big games that involved a LOT of depth.  Molyneux made games with odd premises and added really cool gameplay.  Black and White was no different... if he had released it out of the blue, it would have been a HUGE hit with the rest of the gaming world.  It was just so inflated that it couldn't meet the expectations.

Molyneux is an innovator, I think he just shoots too high and then, like pretty much any programmer, has to underdeliver because certain things just can't be programmed with a limited budget.  Molyneux loves to talk about what he "wants" his game to be, not what his game will be.

Will Wright, on the other hand, generally has his games planned and in alpha before they're even mentioned.  He had Maxis, too, and while his team didn't always gree with his ideas, they had the freedom to put everything they wanted into a game.  So you ended up with a load of classics.  Maxis did put out some less-than-classics though.  Unnatural Selection and El-Fish (among a couple other ones that met with various reviews).  Wright also came in when gaming in general was in a revolution.  Molyneux and Bullfrog picked up just a little bit later, after Wright defined the "sim".  In my eyes, they're on an even level as far as philosophy.  As far as execution, Wright has the edge.
Hey love crusader, I want to be your space invader
For you I will descend the deepest moon crater
I is more stronger than Darth Vapour
Obey me, I is your new dictator

Offline Pinstar

• Ultima Lord
    • View Profile
    • The Legacy Challenge
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2005, 08:39:41 pm »
I think both men are capible of creating great games. Molynoux has been stumbling in the implementation lately. He has two chances to redeem himself with the up and comming release of B&W 2 and The Movies, both of which have me very excited and optimistic. At least ONE of the two should be able to deliver.

Visit my spore page!

Visit my Minicity

Wulf

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2005, 10:45:16 pm »
Both of them are really ugly people.

Offline Vib Rib

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
    • RagTag
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2005, 10:48:22 pm »
I hear that.

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
  • Life is worth much more than gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2005, 11:41:51 am »
If they can keep each other out I will say they make some kind of Super game.

Quote from: /lurk
PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.
FACE: Not again! Quickly Palm, come to me!

Offline syphonbyte

• Moon Patroller
  • You know what the payment is...
    • View Profile
    • The Village of Fools
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2005, 11:56:18 am »
Hmm, Will + Peter = ?... I bet you would get a game where you have to build a city using hand gestures.

Offline Pinstar

• Ultima Lord
    • View Profile
    • The Legacy Challenge
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2005, 01:57:39 pm »
I think it would be a city-builder, but you couldn't directly place the building. You'd have a city planning councel that you would have to sway and direct to build the city your way. You'd lay down your proposal on the city landscape (animated down to the last blade of grass and goose=poop on the munipal building lawn) and take your proposal to the councel. You'd have to construct a speech, in addition, while your character gave the speech you'd have to do gestures while your character speeks to stress certain points. After the speech, the councel decides what actually gets built, which may or may not look anything like your proposal.

In between construction sessians you could drive around the town and actually interview individual citizens, and even campaign for your ideas.

It would be a very hands on-hands off type of game... frustrating as all hell to the casual gamer. To the hardcore sim gamer...it would be a geniune reason to neglect other aspects of your real life in an effort to play it more and craft the perfect city.

Visit my spore page!

Visit my Minicity

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2005, 05:38:07 pm »
Peter Molynoux was brilliant, in his glory years he could do no wrong. I played every single Bullfrog game to death, played Theme Park for years, and bought a computer just so that I could play Populous. However, I think as computers have gotten more complex and allowed you to "do more" Peter has become overwhelmed by the technology and tries to "do everything". In turn his games end up always being disappointing because he promises the world and delivers just a small village.

Will Wright, on the other hand, has gone the other way. He is the master of modular programming and thinking, therefore his games don't get lost in the technology. He takes a fairly basic idea and expands upon it and lets the users fill in the blanks. This allows his games to seem "better" than they really are since his games are mostly freeform and allow people to play the way they want to play. GTA and The Sims have a lot more in common than you think.

Peter needs to calm down a bit and get back to the basics. Every single time I see one of his games at E3 or GDC it's "new", "different", "better", and yet it never seems to be "done". Will usually only shows his games when they are much closer to being done, and he only shows features which are either done or nearly done. He doesn't end up promising the world and not delivering.

As for a game by these two, I think it would be a disaster. And it would take 8 years to develop...
Check out Gaming Steve on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/thegamingsteve

Wulf

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2005, 05:24:26 am »
When ever I read about game design it basically says that an idea is usless unless you have the motivation and knowledge to do it. Then you actually have to finish it. Someone needs to send this Peter an email.

ThemePark rocked.

Offline Vib Rib

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
    • RagTag
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2005, 07:01:28 am »
Ha! That was a good one! You should do stand-up.

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2005, 08:14:59 am »
When ever I read about game design it basically says that an idea is usless unless you have the motivation and knowledge to do it. Then you actually have to finish it. Someone needs to send this Peter an email.

ThemePark rocked.

Theme Park was freaking awesome, I actually still load it up every so often, I loved that game.
Check out Gaming Steve on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/thegamingsteve