Author Topic: hunting strategies  (Read 4573 times)

Offline slugfly

• Time Pilot Trekker
    • View Profile
    • SporeFanatic
hunting strategies
« on: March 29, 2006, 08:03:34 pm »
I hope that Spore will not follow the route of every other game and make fighting a matter of:  Find > Aggro > Toe to Toe

I hope that there will be hunting strategies involved for more sophisticated animals

stalking (tiger)
ambush/trapping (lion)
run to exhaustion (wolf)
repeated hit and run (orca)
steal kills (hyena)
scavenge (crow)

as well as various kill methods

critical area bite (lion/wolf)
suffocation (snake)
eat alive (snake)
trap and drown (crocodile)
brute force (bear/most strong herbivores)

these features would add a great deal of depth to the game and (for me) make it fun to often just watch to see how fights play out

Offline operaghost21

• Rush'n Attacker
    • View Profile
Re: hunting strategies
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2006, 08:14:05 pm »
that'd be cool
"You hate people!"
"But I love gatherings. Isn't that ironic?"
~Clerks
Quote from: Kaizer
THINGS TO DO:
Get quoted to a sig [ ]

Offline slugfly

• Time Pilot Trekker
    • View Profile
    • SporeFanatic
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2006, 08:29:14 pm »
I also hope that some animals will continue "fighting" with their prey after it's dead (ie. playing with it).  small cats do this, I don't know offhand if any of the big cats do, but I would bet that lions do.

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2006, 08:32:06 pm »
well in the first GDC vid, WW made the willosaur drag the prey around, so its probably not too much of a stretch to teach it to throw it around.

Offline Lu Yan

• Video Pinball Wizard
  • That's a nice spear! Do you use it to Fish?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2006, 12:38:40 am »
Ah yes, I can see it now:

Little-Hoppy Thing Throwing contests

The Idea of pack hunting also comes to mind, like several Tripods working together to kill one Spidery-thing.

Or swooping down from the sky like a preditory bird perhaps.

Just making a small crab (amphibious) and watching the other creatures interact would interest me. I can imagine boring my friends and family now.....
Me: "Today the Jaques (I name my species as such) saw this odd jelly thing devoured by a strange 6 finned underwater monkey. It was cool"
Friends and Family: "Right, cool"
Me: "You just had to see it"

-Lu Yan (Displayname Change Pending)

Offline Zorlac

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
    • Sporewiki
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2006, 01:54:37 am »
Since the game was compared to Diablo 2, dont expect too much depth for hunting.

Offline Lu Yan

• Video Pinball Wizard
  • That's a nice spear! Do you use it to Fish?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2006, 02:13:47 am »
The first stage was compared to Pac-Man

Spore>Pac-Man, therefore Spore>Diablo.

One can only hope and imagine, until it comes out. Then we will be so wide eyed in wonder, we will have lost all previous expectations and conceptions and fallen in love with the reality we are presented with.

Ever seen a Cuddlefish take out a crab, or camo then inhale a fish? That would be some interesting hunting, or similar to when dolphins coral and feed on a school of tuna.

Offline Zorlac

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
    • Sporewiki
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2006, 02:39:06 am »
Your logic is flawed, Spore and packman are games that have decades seperating them. The fundamental game-play concepts are the same between them though, 2d and you control a little blob that eats stuff. Just becuase the technology used is so much better doesnt mean its that differnt. So the case could be the same with diablo, although diablo was essentaly a fake-3d game, and spore will "break" that into a real 3d envrioment it doesnt mean the fundamental gameplay values of walking around and clicking stuff and watching your creature battle stuff will be incredibly complex. I think the game spore isn't about the skill involved in controling your creatures (as a FPS might be) but how you design and program them.

Offline Lonemessiah

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2006, 05:21:35 am »
I have to agree with you Zorlac, and in many ways i hope you are right.  Since the game is trying to map evolution it really needs to let most of the combat results to be generated by the computer.  It should not require skill to win a fight because it will give some players an advantage over others.  It should come down to how well your creature has been designed to fight with it's chosen method, be it swarming, stealth etc.

With this method it will coax you into making important decisions with each evolutionary step.... should i add some plumage to look better, or should i increase my claw size to help me hunt better
As usual this is just my opinion which has about as much factual content as the average episode of Red Dwarf.

Offline slugfly

• Time Pilot Trekker
    • View Profile
    • SporeFanatic
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2006, 05:31:51 am »
I have no problem with clicking and watching my creature battle stuff...   and I have even less of a problem (so less of a problem that it becomes a desire) to see my creatures win or lose depending on all of their chosen traits, even down to skin pattern/color, tail length and shade of lipstick.  It would be much better if hunting was included.  Hunting is something that is generally unheard of in games, or at best it is something that takes place in a matter of seconds and then you go toe to toe.

Offline Sadisticfaction

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2006, 06:01:43 am »
For a moment, I suspected this was yet another Find Will Wright-thread. :D

If one attacks creatures that are nearly defenseless (ie the bungajumpas that the Willosaur fed on), it'll pretty much be bite-bite-bite. If the creature can see very well, then sneaking and/or speed will definitely have to be of the essence! But... I don't know IF they will have different "scare-levels", making them run sooner. :P Of course, if you choose to attack creatures that are more able, and perhaps aren't your usual dish (assuming we get a better ecological system than was shown at GDC), then you will yourself have to find different ways to attack the creature. I don't really know if the AI's creature (mark singular) will have ONE specific tactic at you, though; it might go with what is best for the creature in general, and hopefully that won't simply be "run-onto-and-bite"

Offline slugfly

• Time Pilot Trekker
    • View Profile
    • SporeFanatic
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2006, 06:20:33 am »
I would also like to know if there will be Tribe Warnings.  (birds squawk through the trees, beavers slam their tails, deer moon their friends).  I dont' expect this but it would be cool, and actually a rather critical part of any herding animal ('herding' used loosely as an animal that stays in a numbered community)

Offline Lonemessiah

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2006, 06:22:32 am »
Tribal warnings would be very cool, i like that idea a lot.
As usual this is just my opinion which has about as much factual content as the average episode of Red Dwarf.

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2006, 06:24:56 am »
I would also like to know if there will be Tribe Warnings.  (birds squawk through the trees, beavers slam their tails, deer moon their friends).  I dont' expect this but it would be cool, and actually a rather critical part of any herding animal ('herding' used loosely as an animal that stays in a numbered community)

Would it be possible to do this using the actual swarming/flocking algorithm itself? When one creature detects a predator, it runs away as fast as it can, directly away from the predator, and ignores other factors in the algorithm (such as minimum and maximum distance between creatures in the swarm). However, other creatures who are obeying these other factors follow the algorithm, and therefore follow the creature, leading to the whole group of them stampeding away.
Maybe that's too complex, and it doesn't allow for the different types of warnings you suggest, but it might work in terms of programming.

Offline slugfly

• Time Pilot Trekker
    • View Profile
    • SporeFanatic
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2006, 06:33:06 am »
that's actually a very good (and real) warning system that many animals use.

I think that it wouldn't be too tough to introduce a warning system.  But that would only work if the hunter could use stealth, ambush, etc.  We need some good emergent AI on the part of the creatures I think.