Author Topic: What's On Your Desktop?  (Read 218796 times)

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
Re: What's On Your Desktop?
« Reply #1290 on: October 19, 2013, 06:56:48 am »
Dude what?

Look I fully accept that kids shows can be really good entertainment regardless of your age. I myself watch Adventure Time, Avatar, DC superhero cartoons and whatever else. Good times.

That doesn't meant that all kids cartoons should be expected to be of such a quality that adults can enjoy them.
Monster High is a toy commercial, as half a minute of googling will inform you. You're probably too young to remember but this is what the My Little Pony cartoon looked like when the toys originally came on sale:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQk68rIw3es" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQk68rIw3es</a>

Man that's some quality writing right there. 10/10 would pester parent non-stop until bought shoddy horse effigy.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #1291 on: October 19, 2013, 10:07:27 am »
It's perfectly possible to use Monster High's premise to make a decent show. The companies just lack the motivation to do so, which is sad.

You should just admit that you like the show instead of giving Sam more ammo. It'll be less painful this way.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: October 19, 2013, 11:31:07 am »
Yes, there's no point in struggling, it will only prolong your suffering.

Offline Ultimatum

• SunDog Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: October 19, 2013, 12:39:50 pm »

Getting this back on topic..

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
  • That's right, I went there
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: October 19, 2013, 02:01:35 pm »
Baba yetu yet dudien
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline Kishmond

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Alfalfa Mainframe
    • View Profile
    • I'll Eat Your Brains
« Reply #1295 on: October 19, 2013, 03:28:46 pm »

I think I've got a rainmeter skin that suits me.
Yeah, [Kishmond] came back from Africa, but the ponies have him now.

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
« Reply #1296 on: October 19, 2013, 11:33:01 pm »
That doesn't meant that all kids cartoons should be expected to be of such a quality that adults can enjoy them.
Monster High is a toy commercial, as half a minute of googling will inform you.

Thanks for stating the obvious.

The point is that it's kinda sad to see wasted potential.

At least make them bearable. It doesn't have to be Shakespeare.

My Little Pony cartoon looked like when the toys originally came on sale:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQk68rIw3es" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQk68rIw3es</a>

Man that's some quality writing right there. 10/10 would pester parent non-stop until bought shoddy horse effigy.

And that is why me, most MLP fans, as well as Lauren Faust herself, had the habit of making up their own stories when playing with our toys.

What's worse is that sometimes they can be so badly written that they actually do this.

It's perfectly possible to use Monster High's premise to make a decent show. The companies just lack the motivation to do so, which is sad.

You should just admit that you like the show instead of giving Sam more ammo. It'll be less painful this way.

I like the premise.

An academy full of different monsters instead of bog standard humans. Just imagine the universe that can be extrapolated from it. You can even have small trivia about different mythologies, or at least some interesting factoids about the different species, nothing too in depth.

Look at Ah! Real Monsters, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, freakin' Rosario to Vampire.

Offline Ultimatum

• SunDog Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: October 20, 2013, 04:55:13 am »
Are you quite done digging Yuu?

Offline Didero

• Turkey Shoot Terminator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: October 20, 2013, 04:58:30 am »
The only children's TV show you should still watch as an adult is Sesame Street.
You're never too old for Sesame Street.

FACT

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: October 20, 2013, 05:34:33 am »
*I live in a fantasy world and think that all tv shows should be good for some reason.*

I'm sorry to disappoint you but 99% of everything is garbage. I wanted the Green Lantern movie and John Carter to be good. You can't get everything you want in live.

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
« Reply #1300 on: October 20, 2013, 11:57:41 am »
Are you quite done digging Yuu?

Speak for yourself.

Stop shoving your repressed emotions into other people's mouths.

The only children's TV show you should still watch as an adult is Sesame Street.
You're never too old for Sesame Street.

FACT

While I'd say some early 90s kid's TV shows from the Phils are also still enjoyable even as an adult (one of them even dealt with local mythology with the same level of concern as I would've loved to see in Monster High), I will agree that Sesame Street is pretty awesome.

*I live in a fantasy world and think that all tv shows should be good for some reason.*

I'm sorry to disappoint you but 99% of everything is garbage. I wanted the Green Lantern movie and John Carter to be good. You can't get everything you want in live.

Of course. That's what the VCR is for.  :P

Seriously, though, I don't live in a fantasy world, I'm merely a person who seeks the ideal in some things.

It can never be achieved due to humanity's imperfection, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't look forward or strive for it, or else critics and their ilk would be out of a job. Do you want to live in a world where a movie analyst would say "eh, this movie is horrible, but what can you do? This is the real world and that is how it works. Let's not even bother voicing our concerns since this is the natural order of things and to deviate from it is a sin. So just shut up and continue lapping up the cheap (and potentially hazardous) China-processed chicken nuggets WalMart feeds you with."

Sure, Green Lantern and John Carter sucked, but imagine a world where they didn't. Being disappointed in the limitations of reality and its materialistic nature doesn't make you a worse person, it gives someone more impetus to better their own work, to strive for excellence.

And you have to see that I came from a place where most standards suck or is otherwise nonexistent, so it's just the more disappointing to see other folks stoop to that level. I understand their rationale for doing so, I really do, but that doesn't detract from the fact that the status quo sucks.

Reality bites, but that doesn't mean I have to bend my knees and worship it and persecute anyone who has ideals that deviate from it.

But who am I kidding?

No one's ever gonna let up on me until I give up and swear fealty to their point of view. It's a never ending circle jerk that I am so freakin' sick of getting dragged into. People just have to "correct" others since it's their "sworn duty", and say it ain't so, someone is wrong on the internet!  :o

So yeah, you guys "win".

Happy?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 12:08:20 pm by Yuu »

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: October 20, 2013, 12:13:00 pm »

Offline Slinky

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • hey there
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: October 20, 2013, 12:56:09 pm »
My desktop background is Rorschach.

Offline Inkling

• Strider Hiryu
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: October 20, 2013, 06:06:45 pm »
Aww, I wanted to discuss the finer points of bad cartoons.  We'll have to save it for another day.
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #1304 on: October 20, 2013, 07:51:33 pm »
Just for clarification purposes. Yuu, you're awesome and I'm pretty sure we all love you so don't take it too seriously (not to imply that you were, just wanted to cover that base because we do like you and think you're a pretty cool guy even if we don't say it). I need to add this so the un-parenthesized text makes up a larger portion of this post than the parenthesized text.

:)

(also apparently I spelled "parenthesized" correctly on my first try!)