Author Topic: Swarming?  (Read 4777 times)

Offline Ambivalentiowa

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
Swarming?
« on: March 28, 2006, 05:34:10 pm »
Is there any indecation yet about whether or not creatures will swarm? For example, if i make a predator that's really small, if they go to someone elses' world will they appear in a group so they can actually attack things in a pirhana-like manner? Or will it just be a single beast?

Offline JakeCourtney

• Vanguard Venturer
  • The Godfather
    • View Profile
Re: Swarming?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2006, 05:36:36 pm »
Well,  since I'm on the developer team I can tell you that we don't know yet.  I bet we will have to wait for E3 to find anything out.

Offline Tantalus

• Bezerk Brawler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2006, 05:38:41 pm »

Offline slugfly

• Time Pilot Trekker
    • View Profile
    • SporeFanatic
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2006, 07:36:22 pm »
herding is in...  and herding is a herbivore instinct... perhaps swarming is the same as herding except as a carnivore...  one can hope

Offline Tantalus

• Bezerk Brawler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2006, 07:41:04 pm »
Yeah I'm really hoping to be able to make a small swarming type creature, oooo reminds me of days with my MTG squirrel deck

Offline 10-Neon

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2006, 07:59:24 pm »
Grasshoppers (locusts) are probably the most notorious swarmers... and it would be a bit weird to classify it as "carnivorous" behavior. I think the main difference between herding and swarming is the scale and the consistence of occurrence. Bees/locusts/etc. tend to swarm only in specific situations while "herding" animals do it consistently. Maybe "packs" would be a better word for the "carnivorous" form of herding.

Here's my guess: herding/packs should be pretty much a given. It is extremely common in nature and would be a very awkward thing to leave out entirely.
Swarming, while less common in nature, is extremely popular in science fiction, which is of course the subject that most of this game will be based on. The only reasons that it would not be implemented would probably be gameplay complexity (although we don't really know enough to know if it would fit in with the rest of the game or not), system/programming difficulties (as far as I am aware, this kind of thing is pretty difficult to accurately simulate), or just plain time restraints.

...is it just me or hasn't this topic already been hit upon already?  :-\
"The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate." -The Resteraunt at the End of the Universe

Offline starshard0

• Mystery House Madman
  • I'm waiting for Spore to come out, don't bug me.
    • View Profile
    • Starshard0's Super Blog
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2006, 08:05:23 pm »
Ooo, that would be fun, especially if you make some kind of horribly powerful creature and invade entire planets with them. Although I'm sure that it would be with guns rather than natural weapons.
Bored? On the internet? Probably not, but if so, check out my blog.

Offline Cousarr

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
    • URF Online
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2006, 08:18:23 pm »
Ooo, that would be fun, especially if you make some kind of horribly powerful creature and invade entire planets with them. Although I'm sure that it would be with guns rather than natural weapons.

Tyranids anyone?

Offline Thimon

• Space Invaders Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2006, 01:28:43 am »
Zerg anyone  :P
Colbert:  Is Spore a sex game?
Will:       In its very basics, yes.

Offline $kelet0r

• Microvision Master
  • www.spore-game.net
    • View Profile
    • Spore-Game.net
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2006, 01:51:42 am »
Zerg Rush!
keke keke keke
 ;D

Offline Lambsquirter

• Megamania Megalomaniac
  • Don't play with your food
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2006, 02:53:51 am »
Well,  since I'm on the developer team I can tell you that we don't know yet.  I bet we will have to wait for E3 to find anything out.

ahh. can you tell us when the release date is and can you tell us more about the game, anything that we don't know yet...hehehe
Under construction

Offline Zorlac

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
    • Sporewiki
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2006, 02:57:10 am »

ahh. can you tell us when the release date is and can you tell us more about the game, anything that we don't know yet...hehehe

Unless maxis likes to hire 19 year olds out of IL, someone here was playing a joke!

Offline Mason11987

• Rally-X Roadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2006, 07:21:46 am »

Unless maxis likes to hire 19 year olds out of IL, someone here was playing a joke!

Since an article said that a lot of the developer team is making 6 digits, It'd be quite amazing to be pulling that without even going through college...
*coughbull****cough
My Sporepedia page: http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Mason11987
On GS: http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=12609.0

Maxis and Spore - Bringing your imagination to life:

Offline slugfly

• Time Pilot Trekker
    • View Profile
    • SporeFanatic
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2006, 07:44:26 am »
I'm on the developer team too  :)   but notice neither of us says which developer team (Tidy-Bowl 2006 baby!! oh yeah!)

found a bunch of cool html options but none of em work except for superscript and subscript  :(  ...
« Last Edit: March 29, 2006, 07:46:28 am by slugfly »

Offline Nicod3mus

• Space Invaders Junkie
    • View Profile
    • SporeFan
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2006, 09:05:54 am »
1. swarming isn't categorically a carnivoruos behavior.......feeding frenzy would be a better term I believe
2. grasshoppers arent locusts
3. I'm on the developer team.....Im a bull**** artist and my models are oh so lifelike