Author Topic: The Revolution's Real Name  (Read 6924 times)

Offline Aybraus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • aka VFX Watch aka Toothy aka Chris.
    • View Profile
The Revolution's Real Name
« on: March 28, 2006, 12:31:48 pm »
What do you think it'll be called?

I think it'll just be called the New Nintendo.  Simple, clear, gives an image of major reforms in the business.

I'm toothy22 on Steam. Someone needs to invite me into the GS clan!

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • We're going to hit the mountain!
    • View Profile
Re: The Revolution's Real Name
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2006, 12:36:45 pm »
      There was a rumor going around that it would be called Nintendo GO, but I think this sounds too much like Nintendo ON. It was also rumored that it'd be called the N5, since it is Nintendo's 5th console. I just kind of hope they don't keep the name Revolution. Its fine as a code name, but it doesnt sound like Nintendo. They should pick a fun, colorful name, just like their consoles.

Offline Cruithne

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
    • Liquorice Bomb
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2006, 01:32:10 pm »
I'm reliably informed that it will be called the Nbox.

:o :D :D

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2006, 01:33:10 pm »
There was a rumor going around that it would be called Nintendo GO, but I think this sounds too much like Nintendo ON. It was also rumored that it'd be called the N5, since it is Nintendo's 5th console. I just kind of hope they don't keep the name Revolution. Its fine as a code name, but it doesnt sound like Nintendo. They should pick a fun, colorful name, just like their consoles.
Revolution is my favorite name of any console ever, possibly, particularly because it so accurately describes what this console is about. And I don't think this console is 'colorful.' It's more sleek and apple-ish looking, which is appealing to most mainstream persons in the electronics business. And that's who Nintendo is shooting for this time, the true mainstream.

Oddly enough, I'm worried about the whole Nintendo Go thing. For one thing, it's a crappy name for a console (so I'm hoping it's the name of their Wi-Fi service); and also, 'Go' is Japanese for 'five,' which is convenient with this being their fifth. So I'm worried. I don't want it to be called that. Revolution, please. Thank you.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2006, 02:30:32 pm »
It had better stay Revolution.

Offline Damned_Zombie

• Cobra Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2006, 04:38:33 pm »
ithought the official name was Revolution...

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2006, 04:39:43 pm »
Revolution is my favorite name of any console ever, possibly, particularly because it so accurately describes what this console is about. And I don't think this console is 'colorful.' It's more sleek and apple-ish looking, which is appealing to most mainstream persons in the electronics business. And that's who Nintendo is shooting for this time, the true mainstream.

Oddly enough, I'm worried about the whole Nintendo Go thing. For one thing, it's a crappy name for a console (so I'm hoping it's the name of their Wi-Fi service); and also, 'Go' is Japanese for 'five,' which is convenient with this being their fifth. So I'm worried. I don't want it to be called that. Revolution, please. Thank you.

I didn't mean that the console is literally colorful, but colorful as in fun. Revolution is too serious of a name for something like it (Not to mention, I seriously cant imagine myself saying "Im going to play my Revolution". It sounds way too dorky). They need a name that'll attract a lot of the mainstreams attention.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2006, 04:41:42 pm by Pilot4Life »

Offline Damned_Zombie

• Cobra Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2006, 04:42:07 pm »
since when has Nintendo had colorful names for their consoles? NES, SNES, N64, NGC... damn N's...

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2006, 04:48:28 pm »
NGC? Its called a GameCube. Maybe some people will abbriviate it as that on message boards, but never in real life. Gamecube is a fun name. As is Super Nintendo.

...and the N stands for Nintendo. Duh!  :D

Offline Damned_Zombie

• Cobra Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2006, 05:13:33 pm »
I know! The official name of the Gamecube is the NINTENDO GameCube! DURRRRR!!!!!

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2006, 05:20:58 pm »
Well you did say "Look at all of the N's!!" Well DUH! The company's name only starts with an N. See the pattern? DUUUUUHHHHH!!!!

Offline Damned_Zombie

• Cobra Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2006, 05:51:31 pm »
don't mock me! I will be the one who breaks you!

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2006, 06:32:34 pm »
Revolution is a perfect name as it is I love the whole idea of a gaming revoltuion being lead by Nintendo.

Offline Lambsquirter

• Megamania Megalomaniac
  • Don't play with your food
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2006, 05:14:15 am »
i think that they should stick with revolution, its a catchy name and i think that people will know it more being called that than say Nintendo Go or something.
Under construction

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2006, 05:42:43 am »
I fail to see how saying, "I'm going to play my Revolution" is in any way disappointing. It's the point of the console; the name works on so many levels that to name it anything else seems like a misstep. At what point does the DS sound fun? Whether you say it Dual-Screen or DS, neither name sounds particularly like fun wrapped in a hefty plastic brick -- but that's exactly what it is. In my opinion, Nintendo needs a name that distinguishes itself over all their number-crunching competitors, that says 'This is what we're about this time around and no one else is doing it like we are.'

Revolution does that.

Offline Cruithne

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
    • Liquorice Bomb
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2006, 09:14:09 am »
Yeah, but here's the potential problem.

Nintendo want to revolutionise gaming in the sense that they appeal to non gamers, a group of people largely intimidated by gaming hardware such as peripheral controlers that look like the dashboard from the starship Enterprise and all this talk about HD ready plasma TVs with inbuilt 5.1 surround sound.
Now to most of us here, we understand what the Revolution is about, but to the people Nintendo want to start attracting, the word revolution might be a little too edgy for them.

Put it another way.The big N have said that they wnt to get your Granny playing games as if it was as natural as watching a television programme, is the name revolution likely to put her off or encourage her to get involved in gaming?
I don't think it is.

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2006, 11:04:28 am »
Yeah, but here's the potential problem.

Nintendo want to revolutionise gaming in the sense that they appeal to non gamers, a group of people largely intimidated by gaming hardware such as peripheral controlers that look like the dashboard from the starship Enterprise and all this talk about HD ready plasma TVs with inbuilt 5.1 surround sound.
Now to most of us here, we understand what the Revolution is about, but to the people Nintendo want to start attracting, the word revolution might be a little too edgy for them.

Put it another way.The big N have said that they wnt to get your Granny playing games as if it was as natural as watching a television programme, is the name revolution likely to put her off or encourage her to get involved in gaming?
I don't think it is.

Yeah, but that's because you're connecting things to it that people, IMO, don't connect to commercial products ordinarily. [The fact that you have an Alan Moore character as your avatar speaks to your knowledge of 'revolution' in a very particular sense.] We have cell phones called Razors and all sorts of other products with names that would usually evoke some sort of negative response, but people don't care. And what the Revolution is doing will be understood to people outside of gaming, considering all the media attention it will likely get. Hell, if people read the newspaper or watch the news, they'll likely hear something about Nintendo's new machine as gaming is starting to get more attention. I have family that never game and I never speak to about gaming that know what the Revolution is and what makes it special just from reading magazines and watching the news. And that commonplace understanding of the product is going to increase after E3 and especially once it's released in stores and there are kiosks where people can experience it for themselves.

Beyond that, I think Nintendo has a fairly safe image to most people, so the fact that their console's name is something usually associated with change and fighting won't supercede the fact that Nintendo is the 'good guy' among the gaming companies. My parents, two people without a clue about current gaming, have positive feelings towards Nintendo since they know it markets things like Mario and Pokemon, which are a helluva lot less threatening than Grand Theft Auto or God of War.

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2006, 12:27:40 pm »
Do you think we're thinking about this too much though? DS isn't exactly an appealing name, as you said, but its selling like crazy. I just think that Revolution is too extreme of a name to appeal to seniors and middle aged women. I think its really just about personal preference.

Offline Damned_Zombie

• Cobra Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2006, 12:32:09 pm »
Well, if they don't use Revolution, what would they use?

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2006, 12:37:11 pm »
The Nintendo FUN!

Offline Damned_Zombie

• Cobra Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2006, 12:38:47 pm »
The Nintendo! That's it.

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2006, 12:43:07 pm »
Yes! Thats what I always called my N64 and my original NES. Just The Nintendo. Thats all you need.

Offline Damned_Zombie

• Cobra Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2006, 12:44:07 pm »
Simple, efficient, and it gets the idea across. Perfect! I'm glad i thought of it. Now to send it the guys at Nintendo...

Offline Tonjevic

• Scramble Skipper
  • Victori Jane Surn
    • View Profile
    • It's my muck-around space.
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2006, 01:55:41 pm »
Personally, i find the four sylables of the current name enticing and modern. I can't think of much else, after years of referring to it as the Revolution, or simply Revo, to call it. It just seems so perfect. And in reply to somebody about the colourful names of Nintendo Consoles: Nintendo have never had colourful names for thier systems, apart from the Gamecube (and that, in my opinion, suffered from a lack of more serious titles. Don't get me wrong, I loved the system, but I think the whole kiddie idea that Nintendo was using isn't good if it wants to live. They should continue to make fun, family titles, but we need some more serious titles like killer 7 in the mix.).
There was the Famicom (Family Computer: descriptive) the NES (Nintendo Entertainment System: descriptive) SNES (Super Nintendo Entertainment System: descriptive) N64 (Nintendo 64: referring to the 64-Bit capability of the console) and the NGC (Nintendo GameCube: you already know my thoughts).

Yeah. That's colourful alright.

-Understated elegance.

Offline Damned_Zombie

• Cobra Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2006, 01:57:46 pm »
Better than Xbox...

Offline Cruithne

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
    • Liquorice Bomb
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2006, 02:01:08 pm »
I dunno, I think XBox is a great name, it conjures up mystery and surprise.

Offline Damned_Zombie

• Cobra Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2006, 02:07:47 pm »
Xbox is a corny name. It's like adding the Z to Dragonball, because they're "cool" letters.

Offline Sub

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • End is tough.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2006, 03:41:13 pm »
Call it the N5.  Do it Nintendo.

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2006, 05:41:39 am »
Oh, c'mon ... who doesn't love the X-Box name? It's edgy. It's X-treme. It's X-citing. It's like the X-Games only more boxy. But on a more serious note, I think the Dreamcast is possibly the greatest console name ever -- with the Revolution behind it in second place. I love the name Revolution and will likely call the console the Revolution even if they were to change it.

And I hope to all that is holy that they don't put a friggin' number in the name. We have enough of those at the moment, thank you. I don't want an entire generation of companies being so unoriginal and simple-minded as to not give their product a unique name.

Offline TheShark

• Kaboom Boomer!
  • It was either that or a rattle-snake bite...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2006, 05:49:45 am »
I hope they keep in the Nintendo Revolution. I like the way that sounds.

Wow, this makes me realize how long it's been since I was an active user here.

Offline Cruithne

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
    • Liquorice Bomb
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2006, 09:13:34 am »
How about they call it the Nintendo Inexpensive!

;D

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2006, 10:57:23 am »
How about they call it the Nintendo Inexpensive!

;D

The only acceptable alternative to Revolution, for me, is if they called it the Nintendo Shiggsy. That would be fine. And it would be a wonderful testimonial to the man who practically made them the power they are today.

Offline Aybraus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2006, 11:10:58 am »
They launch it in 6 colors, and call it the Nintendo Fruit!

Offline Cruithne

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
    • Liquorice Bomb
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2006, 12:05:57 pm »
I thought Mr Tingle from the Zelda series was the Nintendo fruit?

;)

Offline Damned_Zombie

• Cobra Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2006, 01:32:41 pm »
The Nintendo, God's Gaming Machine would be a better fit.

Offline Aybraus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2006, 02:31:07 pm »
They should name it the Gamecube 4, to piss off Sony.

"Hmm... should I get the Xbox 2, Playstation 3, or the Gamecube 4?"

"Get the Four!  It's a higher number!"

Offline MetallicDragon

• Apprentice Enchanter
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2006, 04:10:14 pm »
I am also liking "Revolution". The name fits the look of the machine.

And just for the record, it's GCN, not NGC. Duh!

Offline Damned_Zombie

• Cobra Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2006, 05:41:37 pm »
Yah, whatevah!

Maybe we should ask Steve if his connections at Nintendo have any juicy info? Hmm? How about it, Steve? Yah got anything?

Offline Tonjevic

• Scramble Skipper
  • Victori Jane Surn
    • View Profile
    • It's my muck-around space.
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2006, 03:37:28 am »
Why would Steve Have anything more than IGN/GS/whatever.

-Understated elegance.

Offline Cruithne

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
    • Liquorice Bomb
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2006, 05:12:32 am »
Why would Steve Have anything more than IGN/GS/whatever.

Cos he's Gaming Steve that's why  ::), with all the inherrant powers that such a title posesses.Don't make the mistake of assuming that those podcasts are made by some mere mortal.Behind that Geek approaching middle age look lies a heart of pure gaming steel.