Author Topic: Guild Wars  (Read 47454 times)

Offline kolpo

• Lunar Lander Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone playing Guild Wars?
« Reply #90 on: May 12, 2005, 07:12:28 am »
This game sounds fun, I think I might go buy it. The elementalist sounds interesting, but with what secondary class should I combine him?

Offline PineappleTheHun

• Mystery House Madman
  • Explodablicious!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 12, 2005, 08:16:21 am »
Try a necromancer. You can heal yourself up using enemies' health, and you can blow up corpses'n'stuff near them for tons of damage. If you're an elementalist, you won't be anywhere near there anyways.
Quote from: Borogove
I try to think of what mother nature would have done if she suffered major brain damage.
Quote from: Gaming Steve
You are wrong.
Quote from: Legodragonxp
Starship Troopers 2 had only two things worth seeing, but she died early on

Offline Battlecow

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 13, 2005, 12:35:13 pm »
I finally picked this game up and played around with it last night - I really like what I see so far. Only a lvl 2 Mesmer so far but I'm starting to think about a 2nd professions.

The game is beautiful in it's simplicity but I'm still getting used to it - I've been playing WoW for so long that I keep hitting the wrong keys.
"They'll never know the joys of a monkey knife fight"

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 16, 2005, 03:13:16 pm »
Guildwars question: Camera

When you play GW, is the camera always right near the ground behind your character like in the demo movies or does it have a higher more defautl position like in Dawn Of War? I ask because the wife is interested but the low angle would make her motion sick, but if she could back off some (ala Dawn of War or Dungeon Siege) it would be a possibility.

-Lego
« Last Edit: May 16, 2005, 03:16:09 pm by Legodragonxp »

Offline Zealousy

• Wizard of Wor
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 16, 2005, 08:01:39 pm »
I don't own the game, but from the preview events the camera was always behind my character. When I was playing it couldn't be moved out to Dawn of War extremes, and I'm guessing that option was not included in the final release.

Has she tried playing the game at all? I don't get motion sickness, but watching someone play a game and playing it myself are two different things. I have watched friends play games where they look around enough to disorient me, but I don't have a problem when I play them myself. :)
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather ... Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car.
- Will Shriner

Offline Danzik

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 17, 2005, 02:48:12 am »
Just picked it up a few days ago and am really enjoying it so far.  Like was said earlier, it's neat being able to meet up with friend and not have to worry about what shard/server they play on.  I go by Danzik Lux, feel free to say hi next time you're in game.

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 17, 2005, 04:55:59 am »
My wife has vertigo issues. Bad enough that driving games now make her motion sick. She is a die hard Diablo2 fan, but I've grown tired of it. I was hoping that Guild Wars might be an option for the two of us, but the camera angle is still in question. Anybody else know about adjusting the camera out?

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #97 on: May 17, 2005, 05:17:47 am »
My wife has vertigo issues. Bad enough that driving games now make her motion sick. She is a die hard Diablo2 fan, but I've grown tired of it. I was hoping that Guild Wars might be an option for the two of us, but the camera angle is still in question. Anybody else know about adjusting the camera out?

I'm not quite sure what you're looking for, but you can pull the camera out really far, really far. With the camera out so far the screen doesn't jump around so much (and your characters are quite tiny). I find Guild Wars very smooth and if she likes Diablo 2 she will probably like this game, they are very similar in many ways (but not nearly as much loot in this game). Hard to say but I would say give it a try, there is no monthly fee so if you don't like it you can easily change your mind!
Check out Gaming Steve on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/thegamingsteve

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 17, 2005, 06:17:05 am »
Thank you. That was what I needed to know. When you are really close up the massive motion messes with her head. I'll get a copy and try it out and see what she thinks. Thanks again. -Lego

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #99 on: May 17, 2005, 08:47:11 am »
Make sure to check out the preview of the content update for Guild Wars. I will give a full report from the show floor but here is from info so far:

http://www.guildwars.com/gameinfo/lore/e32005-sorrowsfurnace.html

Offline Jecrell

• Battlezone Captain
  • Giant Snowy Ape
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 17, 2005, 10:41:44 pm »
The only major motion I can think of is when you press the X key over and over and over and over.

The X key turns you for a 180, if you do it over and over it creates a spinning effect. WEEEE

Offline Ketro Fett

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 18, 2005, 11:23:43 am »
Does anyone know if this game runs well on 56k?

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #102 on: May 18, 2005, 09:05:34 pm »
Does anyone know if this game runs well on 56k?

From what I hear it runs great on 56k.

Offline Ketro Fett

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 18, 2005, 11:44:57 pm »
Wow, that's awesome.  Thanks! :)

Nice E3 pictures, by the way.  Just saw them.

Offline krjal

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 04, 2005, 07:27:42 am »
While monitoring my system stats I found I got an average of about 1Kb total in and out at any one time. More often about 600-800bytes.
+++"Sometimes, when I look into the abyss, the abyss looks back" - [tmo]+++