Author Topic: Gasping for Air  (Read 12174 times)

Offline BioCat

• Star Wars Padawan
  • Spore account name: RubyClaw, search me out.
    • View Profile
Gasping for Air
« on: March 27, 2006, 09:18:39 am »
We all saw in the last year's gdc video how will used his UFO and took one of those spider creatures and then put it down in a planet without atmosphere and well... it exploded.

I understand and guess there will be no carbone based creature but do you think all creatures will breath the same gases?

I see no reason why they should, even here in earth not all creature uses oxygen.

What do you think?

Offline Cyrus

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
Re: Gasping for Air
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2006, 09:26:20 am »
Atmosphere will play a part in the terraforming parts of the game, where you have to build an atmosphere and biosphere to make the planet habitable, but we don't believe there will be different kinds of atmospheres.  Just like any other simulation game, many things have been abstracted and simplified to keep the game fun and prevent it from becoming overly-complex.  So, our guess is that all creatures in the game can breathe the same type of atmosphere.
Looks like even I was being optimistic with a March 07 release date...

Offline mrodgers

• Choplifter Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2006, 10:09:16 am »
Atmosphere will play a part in the terraforming parts of the game, where you have to build an atmosphere and biosphere to make the planet habitable, but we don't believe there will be different kinds of atmospheres. Just like any other simulation game, many things have been abstracted and simplified to keep the game fun and prevent it from becoming overly-complex. So, our guess is that all creatures in the game can breathe the same type of atmosphere.

with the exception of water vs. air breathers of course
Check out my (Thurlin's) creatures, building, and vehicles.  You won't be disappointed.

http://www.spore.com/flash/csa_widget.swf?userid=2263477425&username=Thurlin&host=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spore.com%2Fview%2Fuser-thumbnail

Offline Cyrus

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2006, 10:20:09 am »
with the exception of water vs. air breathers of course

Right, but "atmosphere" is defined as being a mass of gas, which water is not.  But I know what you mean.  All land-based creatures breathe the same type of atmosphere, and all water-based creatures breathe the same type of water most likely.
Looks like even I was being optimistic with a March 07 release date...

Offline Willeisen

• Space Invaders Junkie
  • Will Wright is my hero...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2006, 05:41:50 pm »
You know...I wouldn't be suprised if there was an atmosphere gauge like in Sim Earth.
Please vote to get "SPORE" published on the Macintosh platform.

Please visit Spore Fan and help build a dedicated "SPORE" community.

Have Fun.

Offline VargrimGraff

• Microvision Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2006, 05:50:52 pm »
I would hope that it would include something like this.

Offline ElemenoP

• Battlezone Captain
  • All Hail, the mighty glowing geography teacher!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2006, 06:56:20 pm »
TECHNICALLY in the video volcanoes give plantes atmosphere, but that atmosphere could be radically different than its home atmosphere, for example, the volacanic toxins might just make that creature melt for all we know
http://www.savefile.com/files/184513
HelperBox.  Ensuring a brighter future!
(it's a 9 megabyte movie I made in endorphin. It's pretty funny)

Offline Tarrasque

• Mystery House Madman
  • Freedom at last!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2006, 07:45:48 am »
We don't know about different gases, we know that SF is awash with methane breathers etc.

We know that there are different degrees of planet quality. A given planet could be level 8 for one race, but only level 4 for another. Whether this is just based on the amount of water present we don't know (Water creature <-> Land creature). In his presentation, Will was tallking about a hot dry planet he was visiting with his UFO (only in-game, of course ...  ;D ).

It was an airless planet. You first need to create an atmosphere, then do something to break that atmoshere into something breathable. Like when you introduce CO2 by creating volcanoies, wait for the greenhouse effect to kick in and then put up some plants to create oxygen. My problem with this is that you should not be able to remake the garden of eden in the outer solar system. There is not enough solar energy to do that there. You may get a breathable atmosphere there with the help of super science, but it would still have -153 degrees. Not very useful. Your colonies would still be confined under bubbles.

What I would like to see is that the really livable planets are all more or less in the life zone of the star and that there are few which you can settle from the beginning.

And btw, if you jump out of the pod bay into the void, you don't explode. You suffocate. You actually survive being in vacuum, as long as your breath holds. The cold gets you later. All that would rupture are a few blood vessels in your eyes and nose. So not only  Data is able to change ships without a space suit.  ;) 
"I'm Jack's complete lack of surprise"

Offline Tantalus

• Bezerk Brawler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2006, 07:59:33 am »
lol, how long would it take for you to freeze? Either way you would likely be in excruciating pain  :P

Offline starshard0

• Mystery House Madman
  • I'm waiting for Spore to come out, don't bug me.
    • View Profile
    • Starshard0's Super Blog
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2006, 08:10:04 am »
As far as different gas breathers, go, I think that most life-forms survive in the gas they are accustomed to, such as most Earth creatures and oxygen. Creatures that live underwater also breate oxygen, but they use their gills to filter out the water and keep the air.

From what I can tell the reason the creature exploded was because the vaccum of space sucked the air right out of the creature, thus causing it to implode on itself, like when you suck on a plastic soda bottle, which would cause body parts to go everwhere. Besides, it looked cool.

Temperature can easily be regulated by the density of the atmosphere, look at Venus, for example.
Bored? On the internet? Probably not, but if so, check out my blog.

Offline Nicod3mus

• Space Invaders Junkie
    • View Profile
    • SporeFan
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2006, 09:10:04 am »
I understand what cyrus is saying with the sipmlified for practicality but I for one would be let down if there were not at least a few basic different types of atmospheres.

Offline mrodgers

• Choplifter Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2006, 09:17:21 am »
I'd swear I remember hearing about planet habitability scores.  You could always imagine that the atmosphere is included in that measurement (and maybe it would be somehow).
Check out my (Thurlin's) creatures, building, and vehicles.  You won't be disappointed.

http://www.spore.com/flash/csa_widget.swf?userid=2263477425&username=Thurlin&host=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spore.com%2Fview%2Fuser-thumbnail

Offline starshard0

• Mystery House Madman
  • I'm waiting for Spore to come out, don't bug me.
    • View Profile
    • Starshard0's Super Blog
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2006, 09:25:06 am »
I'd swear I remember hearing about planet habitability scores. You could always imagine that the atmosphere is included in that measurement (and maybe it would be somehow).
I think the atmosphere is definitely going to be inculded on the score.
Bored? On the internet? Probably not, but if so, check out my blog.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2006, 04:42:42 pm »
*GASP*

Offline DarkLordofChaosX

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2006, 05:00:38 pm »
well, the reason that the creature exploded is due to differences in internal vs. external pressure. For example, all human beings are used to living with a pressure of 1 atm at all times; that is our bodies push outward constantly with a pressure of 1 atm to balance the pressure of the atmosphere on us- effectively there is no net pressure. But once we go out into space, there is no 1 atm pushing in on us, so our 1 atm of pressure pushing outward basically turns us to cosmic spaghetti.
Monkeys with guns? :-D