Author Topic: Gasping for Air  (Read 12194 times)

Offline Penguin

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
Re: Gasping for Air
« Reply #75 on: May 08, 2006, 07:35:53 pm »
actually the system in MoO3 was pretty simple.  you just saw a box with a little X in it representing a given planet, and there would be concentric colored circles to show the preferred habitability of your race, and the position of the X relative to the circles would intuitively tell you how habitable the planet was.

Yes, it would probably work well, but it just doesn't seem very likely. Will's more likely to copy his own previous games than other peoples' games.

Except he's never tried something at quite this scale.  I am sure there will be some copying and improv from other games.

Yes, but what I mean is, he already created a way to measure a planet's stats with SimEarth, so why would he go and create a whole new system or copy a completely different system from someone else when his original one worked just fine? Just look through Maxis's products and you'll see many systems copied over to newer games when they were needed. If something works well, they stick with it.

Offline mrodgers

• Choplifter Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 08, 2006, 07:39:35 pm »
actually the system in MoO3 was pretty simple. you just saw a box with a little X in it representing a given planet, and there would be concentric colored circles to show the preferred habitability of your race, and the position of the X relative to the circles would intuitively tell you how habitable the planet was.

Yes, it would probably work well, but it just doesn't seem very likely. Will's more likely to copy his own previous games than other peoples' games.

Except he's never tried something at quite this scale. I am sure there will be some copying and improv from other games.

Yes, but what I mean is, he already created a way to measure a planet's stats with SimEarth, so why would he go and create a whole new system or copy a completely different system from someone else when his original one worked just fine? Just look through Maxis's products and you'll see many systems copied over to newer games when they were needed. If something works well, they stick with it.

Even if he wanted to use something similar to the original method, it would need so much jazzing up to bring it up to today's standards that, I bet, you wouldn't even recognize it except in gross similarities.
Check out my (Thurlin's) creatures, building, and vehicles.  You won't be disappointed.

http://www.spore.com/flash/csa_widget.swf?userid=2263477425&username=Thurlin&host=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spore.com%2Fview%2Fuser-thumbnail

Offline Penguin

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 08, 2006, 07:51:12 pm »
actually the system in MoO3 was pretty simple.  you just saw a box with a little X in it representing a given planet, and there would be concentric colored circles to show the preferred habitability of your race, and the position of the X relative to the circles would intuitively tell you how habitable the planet was.

Except he's never tried something at quite this scale.  I am sure there will be some copying and improv from other games.

Even if he wanted to use something similar to the original method, it would need so much jazzing up to bring it up to today's standards that, I bet, you wouldn't even recognize it except in gross similarities.

I don't see why... he said Spore is supposed to be simple. It's not going to be nearly as complicated as SimEarth. I don't see how 5 status bars needs any kind of "jazzing up" or how that would effect my ability to recognize it... I've already recognized it from just the tiniest bit of footage. If you can give me a realistic alternative for what those 5 bars stand for that is more likely than what I suggested, then I'd love to hear it.

Offline Leng

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • !?!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 09, 2006, 10:39:56 am »
the thing is that those 5 status bars represented much more than 5 statistics.  for example the atmosphere section would include the relative levels of nitrogen, oxygen, CO2, water vapor, dust particles, and also the average temperature and pressure... and also wind direction and speed for every coordinate on the planet.  so if we end up slimming this system down it would be MoO3 all over again.
I have been told
not by one but two of my lovers
that I've got a heart of gold
but I'm unable to share it with others
They call me a poet who'll never have a poem
a tiger with no taste for bone
I'm the wonderful wonderful wizard who's waltzing alone