Author Topic: Used Xbox 360s  (Read 6897 times)

Offline Aybraus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • aka VFX Watch aka Toothy aka Chris.
    • View Profile
Used Xbox 360s
« on: March 26, 2006, 09:04:25 pm »
There are 3 used 360s at my local EB for $299.

Sounds like a good deal to me, a hundred bucks less and no waiting 'till April.  Should I get one?  I have a 480p TV and lotsa ventilation.

I'm toothy22 on Steam. Someone needs to invite me into the GS clan!

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
Re: Used Xbox 360s
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2006, 09:15:35 pm »
If they actully work and they aren't the core crap go nuts.

Remember it needs to be premium dude, Premium!!!

Offline ilikesanta

• Karateka Krazy
  • '06 Time Magizine Person of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2006, 09:29:32 pm »
I bought mine used, off some dude, and he got it on launch and it works fine. I say go for it.
I need a new tag.
My Spore Creatures

Offline Aybraus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2006, 08:31:01 am »
The question is:  Why would somebody sell back thier system?

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2006, 10:11:07 am »
The question is: Why would somebody sell back thier system?
Because they can't download Geometry Wars due to a terrifying lack of internet connectivity. Otherwise, no reason is really good. If you can play Geometry Wars, you have the best game on the system.

Offline Cyrus

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2006, 11:57:54 am »

I bought mine used off a married grad student.  He said he couldn't afford his gaming habits, and something tells me the Mrs. may have told him to get rid of it as well.  He only played it for a couple hours total, and it works like a charm.
Looks like even I was being optimistic with a March 07 release date...

Offline Sub

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • End is tough.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2006, 05:20:11 pm »
Because they can't download Geometry Wars due to a terrifying lack of internet connectivity. Otherwise, no reason is really good. If you can play Geometry Wars, you have the best game on the system.

Interestingly enough, someone released Geometry Wars on the PC for free.  It's under a different name of course (Grid Wars I believe), but it's the same exact game.

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • We're going to hit the mountain!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2006, 01:03:14 am »
The question is: Why would somebody sell back thier system?

Interestingly enough, someone released Geometry Wars on the PC for free. It's under a different name of course (Grid Wars I believe), but it's the same exact game.

I love that game (Grid Wars). I didn't see what the whole big deal about Geometry Wars was until I played this game. I love it. I can't remember where I got it from, but try searching it on Google. Its extreamly addictive!

Offline versatek

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2006, 08:39:18 am »
He probably sold the system cause there's nothing worth playing on the 360 right now.  (yes i know theres one or 2 games but thats not enough to merit buying a $400 console)

Offline Vivec

• Gauntlet Wizard
  • The truth has vanished into darkness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2006, 11:41:43 pm »
He probably sold the system cause there's nothing worth playing on the 360 right now. (yes i know theres one or 2 games but thats not enough to merit buying a $400 console)

Oblivion is worth $400 by itself.
Vivec, you're the best forum member ever.

Offline Aybraus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2006, 02:25:36 pm »
New shipments came in today!  Hoorah!

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2006, 02:34:20 pm »
My EB doesn't have enough to even fill their pre-orders now. It's starting to get very annoying. I want to play oblivion, damnit!

Spore countdowns: USA Europe

Offline uber fragger

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2006, 07:41:50 pm »
Yeah you should get it, I have a standard def TV and it looks awesome still, not as good as an HDTV though.  Its worth it for Live though, 360 Live is so awesome 8)  But if its the core then don't bother.

Offline xnodas

• Frogger Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2006, 08:11:31 pm »
Does anyone even know what the HD does?  It only makes the picture clear.  It's not that big of a deal what TV you play games on.  It's a minor upgrade when comparing it with different TVs.
"Tell me what you cherish most...give me the pleasure of taking it away." Final Fatasy VII: Advent Children

Offline uber fragger

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2006, 07:24:04 pm »
Does anyone even know what the HD does?  It only makes the picture clear.  It's not that big of a deal what TV you play games on.  It's a minor upgrade when comparing it with different TVs.

True but crisper details could show a tiny enemy head hiding away  :P  And actually the wide screen does help since you have a bigger view.

Offline wolfgang

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2006, 07:56:08 pm »
Does anyone even know what the HD does? It only makes the picture clear. It's not that big of a deal what TV you play games on. It's a minor upgrade when comparing it with different TVs.

Do you play all your PC games at 640x480? 

If you play your game at 1280+ then you are playing HD.

Offline Aybraus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2006, 08:08:48 pm »
Does anyone even know what the HD does? It only makes the picture clear. It's not that big of a deal what TV you play games on. It's a minor upgrade when comparing it with different TVs.

True but crisper details could show a tiny enemy head hiding away :P And actually the wide screen does help since you have a bigger view.
Are people designing games based on the assumption that people have HDTVs (like having tiny enemies)?  I hope not.

Offline uber fragger

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2006, 09:02:18 pm »

True but crisper details could show a tiny enemy head hiding away :P And actually the wide screen does help since you have a bigger view.
Are people designing games based on the assumption that people have HDTVs (like having tiny enemies)?  I hope not.

Im not saying its like you'll see every enemy on screen but its still easier to make people out when your trying to figure out if its a barrel or person.  And widescreen is also good.

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2006, 10:09:06 pm »
Its probably (not positive because I don't own a 360) the same as watching TV in standard def compared to high def. The colors are more vibrant, and the picture is clearer, but thats about it. If you have an HDTV, then its going to look awesome, but if you have an SDTV, you're still not in any way missing out on the experience. I've talked to plenty of people who have said that the 360 simply looks amazing just in standard definition, so I wouldn't worry about it. ;)

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2006, 06:28:39 am »
As long as your tv isn't already a hunk of junk. The Massive wide screen TV in our lounge room makes games look infinitly better then the tiny one in my room. Occasionally I bring out the xbox/Gamecube just to see games and better appriciate the graphical experiance.

Offline Aybraus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2006, 10:38:55 am »
Now that I found out Oblivion works on my system, I don't really wan't an X360.

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2006, 01:11:50 pm »

But can you run it with all graphics full without any performence problems?

If not, you might still want a 360.  :)

Offline Aybraus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2006, 01:15:33 pm »

But can you run it with all graphics full without any performence problems?
Full graphics are not worth $400 and an onslaught of quick moneymaking schemes from EA and Microsoft.

Offline xnodas

• Frogger Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2006, 09:15:35 pm »
wide screen is not HD.  HD has to be integrated into your tv for it to be HD.  there are tvs that are HD ready and have the capability to have HD played on them, but if get a HD tv without specific cables and a specific feed you are not actually playing in HD.  1280+ is not HD, it is just the way HD is brought up.  you make your screen play that way your tv is mimicing HD in its display
"Tell me what you cherish most...give me the pleasure of taking it away." Final Fatasy VII: Advent Children

Offline uber fragger

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2006, 10:19:58 pm »
wide screen is not HD.  HD has to be integrated into your tv for it to be HD.  there are tvs that are HD ready and have the capability to have HD played on them, but if get a HD tv without specific cables and a specific feed you are not actually playing in HD.  1280+ is not HD, it is just the way HD is brought up.  you make your screen play that way your tv is mimicing HD in its display

Widescreen isn't HD but it still enchances the game and almost all HD TVs are wide screen.  I always though 720p was 1280x1024 and 1080i was 1900x1200 though

Offline xnodas

• Frogger Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2006, 10:39:53 pm »
wide screen is not HD. HD has to be integrated into your tv for it to be HD. there are tvs that are HD ready and have the capability to have HD played on them, but if get a HD tv without specific cables and a specific feed you are not actually playing in HD. 1280+ is not HD, it is just the way HD is brought up. you make your screen play that way your tv is mimicing HD in its display

Widescreen isn't HD but it still enchances the game and almost all HD TVs are wide screen. I always though 720p was 1280x1024 and 1080i was 1900x1200 though

well of course it enhances the play and how it looks, but if it were actually completel set up for HD it would look twice as good.  not all hd tvs are widescreen, just that you wont see all of the picture.  there are some that basically cut off the left and right side to fit in a square.  the way the pixels are displayed makes it to where it has to be widescreen to see everything that is being displayed.  and those are the same shape of eachother, thats it.

Offline Fink

• Elevator Action Operator
  • I have more stars than you
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2006, 09:22:23 pm »
There are 3 used 360s at my local EB for $299.

Sounds like a good deal to me, a hundred bucks less and no waiting 'till April.  Should I get one?  I have a 480p TV and lotsa ventilation.

I sell you mine. I never use it and it's brand new.

2 wire less controls
recharable battery pack
Pereiom Xbox 360 with hard drive
TES Oblivion
The outfit

I'm in a rush so go look up the prices and I'll sell you all that for that amount

Offline Aybraus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2006, 09:41:22 pm »
No thanks.  I don't really feel I need one yet since Oblivion works fine on my PC.