Author Topic: "History of Your Creature"  (Read 9195 times)

Offline starshard0

• Mystery House Madman
  • I'm waiting for Spore to come out, don't bug me.
    • View Profile
    • Starshard0's Super Blog
Re: "History of Your Creature"
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2006, 09:27:58 am »
Yuck, that's a terrible idea, I don't WANT to know how my creature stacks up against other people, I just want to play the game. +1 for me opting-out.
Bored? On the internet? Probably not, but if so, check out my blog.

Offline Mason11987

• Rally-X Roadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2006, 09:52:02 am »
Yuck, that's a terrible idea, I don't WANT to know how my creature stacks up against other people, I just want to play the game. +1 for me opting-out.

Good thing you don't have to look at it if you don't want to ;)  I don't see how features that don't effect you at all or are even noticable unless you look for them can be a downside at all.
My Sporepedia page: http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Mason11987
On GS: http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=12609.0

Maxis and Spore - Bringing your imagination to life:

Offline starshard0

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2006, 10:18:33 am »

Good thing you don't have to look at it if you don't want to ;) I don't see how features that don't effect you at all or are even noticable unless you look for them can be a downside at all.
Well, that's a good point, but I suppose it's the fact that it's there that bugs me. Like, say I'm walking through a Spencer's looking for some vake vomit, and I'm stuck walking through aisles fille with "Horny Goat Weed" and a bunch of sex toys. It doesn't affect me because I'm niether looking for them or planning on buying them, but it's still creepy to be around.

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
    • My Digitalart.org profile
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2006, 10:39:42 am »
What the hell? How does those two compare? You, sir, are pretty strange.

Offline starshard0

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2006, 10:51:03 am »
What the hell? How does those two compare? You, sir, are pretty strange.
Well, maybe that's a little extreme to compare, but my point is that I don't like MMOG's. As far as I can tell, this practically is one, except no one's playing together in the same galaxy. I don't WANT to know what other people are doing or how they're playing, or how my creature is being used. That's why I buy games that have good single player modes, so I don't have to deal with other people.

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
    • My Digitalart.org profile
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2006, 11:04:41 am »
Then don't press the button! Problem solved! If I don't want to see German guys screwing watermelons, then I don't visit those sites(to use a similar anology)

Offline starshard0

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2006, 11:16:16 am »
Then don't press the button! Problem solved! If I don't want to see German guys screwing watermelons, then I don't visit those sites(to use a similar anology)
Yes, but say there was a link to German guys screwing watermelons on THIS site, wouldn't you be a little concerned?

Offline mrodgers

• Choplifter Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2006, 11:31:46 am »
Yes, but say there was a link to German guys screwing watermelons on THIS site, wouldn't you be a little concerned?

You sir seem to be worrying about nothing.  If you don't like online, as you've said in other threads, just don't play it with the net on so your creature can't get uploaded or downloaded and you will be all set.  Its a nice feature to have (to see how your creature is doing).  A lot of people will want to see and for those who dont want to see or don't care its a non-issue since you aren't forced to look.
Check out my (Thurlin's) creatures, building, and vehicles.  You won't be disappointed.

http://www.spore.com/flash/csa_widget.swf?userid=2263477425&username=Thurlin&host=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spore.com%2Fview%2Fuser-thumbnail

Offline Skraeling

• Akalabeth Addict
  • My what big teeth I have.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2006, 12:07:31 pm »
even if someone does make the "uber" creature the AI will still be controlling it, so you can probably beat it handily if you try.

No, really.  I am a card carrying scientist.

Offline Mason11987

• Rally-X Roadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2006, 04:57:23 pm »

Good thing you don't have to look at it if you don't want to ;)  I don't see how features that don't effect you at all or are even noticable unless you look for them can be a downside at all.
Well, that's a good point, but I suppose it's the fact that it's there that bugs me. Like, say I'm walking through a Spencer's looking for some vake vomit, and I'm stuck walking through aisles fille with "Horny Goat Weed" and a bunch of sex toys. It doesn't affect me because I'm niether looking for them or planning on buying them, but it's still creepy to be around.

I have no idea what you're talking about, how could it bother you?  It's statistics.  That comparision isn't even CLOSE to legit.  The best comparison would be if you were offended by ink on paper and you walked into a store and in the back corner there was a box that if you opened you would see ink on paper.  O MY GOD, THE HORROR!
My Sporepedia page: http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Mason11987
On GS: http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=12609.0

Maxis and Spore - Bringing your imagination to life:

Offline Zen

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
    • Mat Brady
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2006, 02:15:59 am »
I think this thread is getting crazy and confused, especially about two issues: Cheating, and Saying No to Statistics.

Personally, I don't know how (or why) anyone would want to cheat. But let's say they did. I don't think hacked creatures with attributes that exceed the games limits would be seen by the History or Upload feature. They would be immediately not counted. What I was meaning was creatures that have specific combinations (created normally in the editor) that take advantage of how the scirpt analyses strength, speed, etc, will emerge in greater number than those that don't- especially with the History/Statistics feature helping them to refine these combinations. With this in mind, there will naturally be these particular combinations of creatures dominating the player-created creatures out there. They would exist as a type of "classic design" for strength, speed, and both. (Updating the script that these creature designs are taking advantage of so that the old ways of exploitation are no longer as significant, or even relevant, is a way around this- and I think will be inevitable anwyay (if the Spore creators go down this route)).

Saying no to statistics seems a little strange to me. You will naturally see these classic designs appearing in your shopping list of creatures to buy (or discover). They may come in the form of the classic six-legged creature, or classic human-like creature, but there will definitely be a range of agreed upon templates because they simply work well. The only way to say no to these statistics is to either: not access the History statistics, or not recognise them as they occur in-game. :-\

Offline mrodgers

• Choplifter Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2006, 06:09:54 am »
I think this thread is getting crazy and confused, especially about two issues: Cheating, and Saying No to Statistics.

Umm where do you see people talking about cheating?  This seems like a pretty clean statistics thread.
Check out my (Thurlin's) creatures, building, and vehicles.  You won't be disappointed.

http://www.spore.com/flash/csa_widget.swf?userid=2263477425&username=Thurlin&host=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spore.com%2Fview%2Fuser-thumbnail

Offline catnip18

• Fishing Derby Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2006, 04:58:11 pm »
Cheating will most likely be in the game..... Maxis has had no problem with putting in cheats... sims, sims 2, sim city 1-4..... it pretty much says it will be in spore which is another simulatation game.

Offline Willeisen

• Space Invaders Junkie
  • Will Wright is my hero...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2006, 05:36:24 pm »
Cheating will most likely be in the game..... Maxis has had no problem with putting in cheats... sims, sims 2, sim city 1-4..... it pretty much says it will be in spore which is another simulatation game.

Pretty much every other Sim game had them too...remember "rainholes" for Sim Ant...?
Please vote to get "SPORE" published on the Macintosh platform.

Please visit Spore Fan and help build a dedicated "SPORE" community.

Have Fun.

Offline catnip18

• Fishing Derby Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2006, 05:38:54 pm »
Only time i SAW not PLAYED sim ant was when i was 7... a old v.... i dont rember it at ALL