Author Topic: "History of Your Creature"  (Read 9339 times)

Offline xnodas

• Frogger Fanatic
    • View Profile
"History of Your Creature"
« on: March 26, 2006, 02:22:21 am »
Each creature is now going to have a "history" page for the creature to keep track of creature and how well it fairs on others' computers.  Things like people having your creature downloaded, how many times it has fallen to a player's creature, or beaten a player's creature.  For a while now, Spore hasn't had anything that has excited me even more about this game until I heard this on GamingSteve's new cast(3/23/06).  This is going to be how you can boast about your creatures to your friends.  I love this idea.  Another way they are making your creature yours.  However, do you think it will tell you what stage of your creature is being downloaded the most or has won the most fights?  You might have made a mistake with your creature in one or two of the evolutions, but then made up for it a little later.  How it compensate for the minor changes in the creature you make?

"Tell me what you cherish most...give me the pleasure of taking it away." Final Fatasy VII: Advent Children

Offline $kelet0r

• Microvision Master
  • www.spore-game.net
    • View Profile
    • Spore-Game.net
Re: "History of Your Creature"
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2006, 02:32:59 am »
the possibilities of having a history is interesting alright
i'd love if it included the feature to roll back to a point in the creature's development and make different choices ingame
like in Black and White 2 where you could see what your actions caused by looking inside your creature's brain

Offline Zen

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
    • Mat Brady
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2006, 02:45:12 am »
I think as a side effect from the History feature you will see "champions" emerge in different catagories- which will actually be optimised creature designs that exploit the procedural animation scripting.  For instance: In the 05 spore video the creature called Dilemma had fastest gait to it only because of the way the legs were positioned.  Eventually some nut will tweak and refine the absolute fastest combination of leg length, body shape, etc, and that will become the cheetah of the spore universe.  Likewise there will be the fighting version as well, (t-rex?) and then the best average between the two -fastest and strongest combo.  Although this is cool, the negative impact the History feature will have is that it will get people focussed on the champions and so you'll have many variations of these.  Possibly too many.  I doubt there's any way to avoid this, but perhaps it can be diluted by introducing other qualifiers like: weirdest, slowest, coolest, longest, shortest, tallest, most robust, spikiest, etc.

Offline $kelet0r

• Microvision Master
  • www.spore-game.net
    • View Profile
    • Spore-Game.net
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2006, 02:48:18 am »
i can see problems arising from that though - how long would it take to assemble the ultimate creature by cheating and then uploading it into the spore database and ruining everyone elses' game by bing far too powerful to beat fairly :(
difficult to prevent

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2006, 02:58:33 am »
if the game works like gta then it will know when cheats were used and it probably won't upload any of the creatures created with cheats :)
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline $kelet0r

• Microvision Master
  • www.spore-game.net
    • View Profile
    • Spore-Game.net
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2006, 03:01:34 am »
if the game works like gta then it will know when cheats were used and it probably won't upload any of the creatures created with cheats :)
not by using cheats necessarily but by altering the game files/data - anyone with some game making/modding experience could do it

Offline Golgrig

• Star Castle Cadet
  • I am Will Wright's complete lack of suprise.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2006, 03:04:55 am »
Why worry about cheaters when it is simpler to work it on the other end and let them have their fun?
personally i think anything better than you wouln't be insanely better than you, or the insanely better creature will have to work hard just to live, the cheeta may be fastest but it needs to be cause its prey can move fast so it has to be faster, and notice that big cats sleep most of the time they are not built for endurance

the splodey that attacked wills creature is actually a hyenna it smelled the kill and scavenged it
"6.4 Um's per minute" or "The Speed of Wright

An adventurer in the land of who gives a ****

The idea is to mix one ingredient that will burn very fast with a second ingredient that will supply enough oxygen for that burning. This burns so fast, it's an explosion.

Offline Zen

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
    • Mat Brady
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2006, 03:09:51 am »
Skelet0r- I hear ya.  

Actually, one way to prevent this is to constantly update the script that procedurally creates these abilities.  (I wrote about this in another post- The Omni-Script http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=3089.0 )

For instance, if there were a T-rex creature who was unfairly the strongest and fastest, an update to the script that generates every creatures movements and behaviour (I call it the omni-script) may now include the ability to hunt in packs and climb trees.  In this case a voracious form of carnivorous flying monkeys may usurp the T-rex's throne, which would have been previously impossible since the older omni-script never allowed for it.  So the goal posts would constantly change and therefore so would the game's champions.  Then the next update may include a creatures ability to roll into a ball to defend itself, and also to roll as an attack.  A spiky armadillo may then become the new champion.  Etc, etc...
« Last Edit: March 26, 2006, 03:13:47 am by Zen »

Offline $kelet0r

• Microvision Master
  • www.spore-game.net
    • View Profile
    • Spore-Game.net
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2006, 03:44:40 am »
hmm i can see that as a stop gap solution - however if the script created a NPC creature to counter a database downloaded hacked abilities creature - then you would be completely locked out of the game all together
although it would be one hell of an interesting experiment to observe, it would mean starting afresh/deleting large chunks of content  :-[

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
    • My Digitalart.org profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2006, 03:59:04 am »
If you create an über-creature, then it will only be downloaded to an environment which can support it. Balanced eco-systems, remember? That makes me wonder exactly how those statistics work. Since all planets you encounter have balanced eco-systems(I assume they have)  then it's really hard for your creature to dominate other species, isn't it? Maybe if you're killed off by Splodey in the creature stage(you might try to fight him instead of running) then he get's one "dominate point" or whatever.

Offline slugfly

• Time Pilot Trekker
    • View Profile
    • SporeFanatic
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2006, 04:29:08 am »
here's a strange thought...

perhaps, for the first time ever, cheats won't matter.  If the database guages the power and "level" of a creature instead of the game itself guaging the 'level' before uploading, then cheating will just mean lots of great high end content.

I'm playing Spore and I enter a cheat (or modder made cheating tool) and make a super strong super big monster that will tear anyone apart!  Then, it's uploaded and it would only end up being downloaded by people who can handle that monster in their ecosystem, because the communal database has analyzed the creature and knows what 'level' it is.  Nobody is going to use cheats to make 'pygmy-lobsters with sponges for claws' so the cheated creatures will all be very high-end, meaning very low downloads (except for those of us who may end up enjoying the nature part more than the civ parts and so spent lots of time getting powerful creatures in their ecosystems)

Offline Tantalus

• Bezerk Brawler
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2006, 05:07:49 am »
When you say hack and cheat, what do you mean? Do you mean just designing the creature without having to pay with whatever currency is in game, or do you mean hacking the game files to add a +5 movement bonus to your creature? Personally the first doesn't matter to me because you could do that anyway, the second I don't think would be possible unless you actually edited the procedural movement script which does not get uploaded, each pc figures out how to animate on its own, so it would only affect your copy of Spore.

Offline Tarrasque

• Mystery House Madman
  • Freedom at last!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2006, 05:30:09 am »
Cheats are not necessary for the power-gamer. For one, the creature editor is freely available as soon as you have genetic engineering.
Everybody will be able to create "insanely powerful" creatures. Maybe even before the game comes out, if the creature editor is the demo, Steve has already hinted at it.

Then again, what is a powerful creature? One that pwns every other creature? Powerful creatures have drawbacks, they need a lot of food, there can't be many if they are fast they can't be heavy, if they are heavy they can't be fast etc. If I design a litte groundhog that always runs away at every sign of trouble, I will not be blessed with a high killboard ranking. Are successful evasions counted, too? In one on one matches this makes sense maybe, surely these are possible. And insanely fun.  ;)

huggkruka already said it: Balanced Ecosystems. And for every creature that might want to eat yours, you can devise counter strategies. An ecosystem where every creature is insanely powerfull cannot exist, because then there would not be much to eat. Well, in a real ecosystem that is. What will packs of hungry TerrorRexes eat? If they become too powerful, they die. Maybe they even start eating themselves!

If slugfly designs the Jigsaw Lion, a very strong predator, capable of hunting and taking down the strongest of the Bulkyphants, what would you do if it suddenly appears in your ecosystem as the high end carnivore? Well with the next generation you would try to become faster to evade the bugger. Or you start to get bigger and bigger and become a herd animal with nasty spikes (which the Bulkyphants originally in slugfly's word lacked). Or you become stealthy, live in the woods. Stealth is in, Will said it in the old GDC video, we just don't know whether it is procedurally emergent or whether you can consciously design your creature that way.

Maybe you move out of the tropics into the arctics, where the Jigsaw Lion doesn't roam. Or become a pack hunter yourself. What can even the largest cat do against a pack of bloodthirsty StingerBadgers?

I think we should discard the thought of having "the" strongest, "the" best, "the" coolest creature and so on.These things don't exist. No matter how fast your Cheetahgazelle is, the flying monkeys will always be faster, especially if they start packing assault rifles. And in the end, even the strongest creatures will find themselves staring at the wrong end of spears ;D
« Last Edit: March 26, 2006, 05:39:44 am by Tarrasque »
"I'm Jack's complete lack of surprise"

Offline slugfly

• Time Pilot Trekker
    • View Profile
    • SporeFanatic
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2006, 05:38:47 am »
mmm.... flying monkeys with assault rifles!  *sweet*

I like the idea indeed that there will always be something better.

I hope that single planets can include a variety of climates also, instead of an ice planet, desert planet, temperate planet and tropical planet, it would be nice to have some planets that have iced poles, temperate midsections and tropical equators, speckled with deserts here and there.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2006, 09:10:42 am »

I like the idea indeed that there will always be something better.

Well maybe not "better" but something that is superior to a creatures weaknesses. Think of it like rock, paper , scissors. Where say rock is superior to scissors, but then paper can beat rock, and scissors can in turn defeat paper. In short there may be an animal good at alot of things but there wiil always bee that animal that can kill it off no matter what (and one to kill that creature to, and so on).