Author Topic: Leave a Legacy Behind?  (Read 27107 times)

Offline Lord Janos

• Wizardry Whiz
    • View Profile
Re: Leave a Legacy Behind?
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2005, 10:40:17 am »
I know in the earlier part of the stages, tidepool, sea and land, you only control ONE creature. But it would be rather silly for just one of your creature to exist. When your creature evolves from one stage to the next, do you think they'll leave some un-evolved members of their race behind?

Just as we humans evolved from chimps, there are still chimps out there that are stuck in the 'animal stage'. I'm hoping this is the case in Spore.

We weren't evolved from chimps, in my opinion.  But i do like your idea.

Wulf

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2005, 11:36:18 am »
We are not evolved from chimps. Hell, we share more dna with a cabbage than a chimp. We arn't even from the same offshoot as them. They are less evolved and everything evolves at the same speed. Given that they are in similar enough areas geographically then they would have evolved to the same style as us. Yet they arn't because we have been evolving for hundreds of thousands of years before chimps were even chimp-like.

Offline Pinstar

• Ultima Lord
  • Your friendly neighborhood Teralyte
    • View Profile
    • The Legacy Challenge
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2005, 01:23:33 pm »
Nit pick nit pick

Let me rephrase my statement

We were evolved from X. However despite our evolution, members of the X species still exist.

Happy?

I might not know evolutionary biology, but I do know math and logic.
Creator of the Legacy Challenge

Visit my spore page!
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Pinstar
Ratings and comments on all my creatures are always welcome!

Visit my Minicity
http://pinstar.myminicity.com

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
  • Life is worth much more than gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2005, 01:25:24 pm »
I don't really see the need for them what are they gonna do?

Quote from: /lurk
PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.
FACE: Not again! Quickly Palm, come to me!

Offline Lord Janos

• Wizardry Whiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2005, 01:52:47 pm »
Nit pick nit pick

We were evolved from X. However despite our evolution, members of the X species still exist.

I beg to differ - but that would turn the thread into a religious disagreement ;).  But yes, i see where you're coming from and it would be quite a nice little function to have in the game.

Offline syphonbyte

• Moon Patroller
  • You know what the payment is...
    • View Profile
    • The Village of Fools
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2005, 03:54:24 pm »
Well, this game doesn't look like it's using the religious creation type idea as its basis. (Unless you call it intelligent design.)

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2005, 07:21:22 pm »
Well, this game doesn't look like it's using the religious creation type idea as its basis. (Unless you call it intelligent design.)

There will be creationism... your PC will create planets and populate them in 6 nanoseconds... excerpt from the still unwritten game manual that nobody will read of Spore.

1 In the beginning Bill Gates created the PC and the OS.
2 And the OS was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of Format c:\ moved upon the face of the hard drive.
3 And Will Wright said, Let there be light: and there was light.
4 And Will saw the light, that it was good: and Will rezoned the light from the darkness.
5 And Will called the light Residential, and the darkness he called Industrial. And the evening and the morning were the first day.
6 And Will said, Let there be an expansion pack in the midst of the zones, and let it divide the highways from the waterways.
7 And Will made the Rush Hour, and divided the waters which were under the Regions from the waters which were above the Cities: and it was so.
8 And Will called the Expansion Pack Sim City4 Deluxe Edition. And the evening and the morning were the second day.
9 And Will said, Let the game go under the best selling titles and be gathered together unto one place, and let the dry land appear for under twenty dollars: and it was so.
10 And Will called forth a new game on earth; and the gathering together of the players called he Sims, after his kind, whose seed is in itself, upon the earth: and it was so.
12 And the earth brought forth grass, and newspapers yielding jobs after his kind, and the jobs yielding simoleans, whose cash was in itself, after his kind: and Will saw that it was good.
13 And the evening and the morning were the third day.
14 And Will said, Let there be lights in the Expanion Packs of the The Sims to divide the day from the night; and let them be for pets, and for magic, and for movie stars, and Hot Dates:
15 And let them be for cheap in the expansion pack section of the Wal-Mart to give light upon The Sim addicts: and it was so.
16 And Will made two great games; the greater light to rule The Sims, and the lesser light to rule the rest: he made the Spore Demo.
17 And Will set them in the mainstream of the media to give hope upon hope to the addicts wanting more,
18 And to rule over the media and over the forums, and to divide the SimCity people from the Sims people: and Will saw that it was good.
19 And the evening and the morning were the fourth day.
20 And Will said, Let the players bring forth abundantly the moving creature that hath life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open framework of game play.
21 And Players created great whales, and every living creature that moveth, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and WIll saw that it was good.
22 And Will blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the EA coffers with money, and my wallet with simoleans.
23 And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.
24 And Will said, Let the earth bring forth the living creature after his kind, cattle, and creeping thing, and beast of the other players after his kind: and it was so.
25 And players made the beasts of their imagination after their image, and llamas after their kind, and every thing that creepeth upon the earth after his kind: and Players saw that it was good.
26 And Players said, Let us make monsters in our mind, after our imaginations whim: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the planet, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the planet.
27 So Will created UFOs for his own reasons, in the image of Saucers he created them; armed and unarmed he made them.
28 And Players blessed them, and Will said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and interact with other planets, and subdue them: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon those planets.
29 And Will said, Behold, I have given you every tool of creation, which is upon the face of all the planets, and every PC, in the which is the filesize shall be small; to you it shall be for file sharing.
30 And to every beast of the Spore collection, and to every species of the air, and to every thing that creepeth upon the planets, wherein there is life, I have given every CPU cycle for processing: and it was so.
31 And Will and the Players saw every thing that they had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2005, 07:29:07 pm by Legodragonxp »

Offline syphonbyte

• Moon Patroller
    • View Profile
    • The Village of Fools
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2005, 07:40:39 pm »
Brilliant!

32 And so Will said PARTAY DOWN HOMIES!
33 No he didn't.

Offline Lord Janos

• Wizardry Whiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2005, 03:36:55 am »

That's all this game is:  A funky idea. 

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2005, 06:34:54 am »
34 And EA saw every thing that Will was making, and, behold, it was very good, so good as to issue a gag order, so good as to even enforce a NDA. And the evening and the morning were the seventh day.
35 And the world fell silent and awaited E3.

Offline Pinstar

• Ultima Lord
  • Your friendly neighborhood Teralyte
    • View Profile
    • The Legacy Challenge
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2005, 01:34:39 pm »
WWWWD (What would Will Wright do?)

Amen!
Creator of the Legacy Challenge

Visit my spore page!
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Pinstar
Ratings and comments on all my creatures are always welcome!

Visit my Minicity
http://pinstar.myminicity.com

Wulf

« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2005, 10:18:41 pm »
Nit pick nit pick

Happy?

I might not know evolutionary biology, but I do know math and logic.
That's exactly what I was trying to disprove...Evolved-X and X can't exsist together.

Offline syphonbyte

• Moon Patroller
    • View Profile
    • The Village of Fools
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2005, 08:47:58 am »
Are you sure? Coelocanths coexist with further evolved fish.

Offline meh

• Fire Truck Driver
  • Beep. Beep. Beep. Donk.
    • View Profile
    • My Hobbies Online
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2005, 03:38:22 pm »
Are you sure? Coelocanths coexist with further evolved fish.

Ok, but did the other fish evolve from the coelocanths?
The room of no escape! Enter!
Bring back GooGrid!

Offline craigp

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
    • Perkwiki
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2005, 04:17:41 pm »
It looks like there's a bit of BAD SCIENCE creeping in on this evolution discussion. Evolution is one of the most powerful ideas to fully comprehend, and I scowl at you all from atop my ivory tower for not knowing it inside and out.

Evolution happens due to CHANGING CIRCUMSTANCES. It is rare that a situation will change globally. Usually, change is local. In fact, change is usually limited to areas which animals are trying to spread into, and does not much effect their 'ancestral locations'.

For example, there are dozens of kinds of mussels. Several of these species evolved specifically to live on human creations - such as boats and piers. The old mussels remained more or less untouched in their original watery habitats. Similarly, there are dozens of kinds of monkeys, each evolved to suit a particular environment. This doesn't mean that the old species is any LESS suited to THEIR environment, which probably still exists.

Evolution isn't, as most people think, a forward motion. It CAN make creatures more complex and 'advanced', but it's just as likely to simplify and 'deavolve' them. Usually, it does neither. Usually, it's simple changes such as fur color or tooth shape. To call anything in Spore 'evolution-based' would be wholly and in every way a misuse of the word.

For more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution

-Craig