Author Topic: Leave a Legacy Behind?  (Read 26758 times)

Offline Pinstar

• Ultima Lord
  • Your friendly neighborhood Teralyte
    • View Profile
    • The Legacy Challenge
Leave a Legacy Behind?
« on: April 26, 2005, 01:56:35 pm »
I know in the earlier part of the stages, tidepool, sea and land, you only control ONE creature. But it would be rather silly for just one of your creature to exist. When your creature evolves from one stage to the next, do you think they'll leave some un-evolved members of their race behind?

Just as we humans evolved from chimps, there are still chimps out there that are stuck in the 'animal stage'. I'm hoping this is the case in Spore.

Creator of the Legacy Challenge

Visit my spore page!
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Pinstar
Ratings and comments on all my creatures are always welcome!

Visit my Minicity
http://pinstar.myminicity.com

Offline kmr

• Fishing Derby Champion
  • One hep cat
    • View Profile
Re: Leave a Legacy Behind?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2005, 02:16:44 pm »
Except we didn't evolve from chimps, we evolved from a common ancestor. ;) Sorry, just nitpicking.

But I don't think we'll see any of this in spore. I believe it would certainly be possible, but I don't foresee it as part of the game. Needless complication, in my opinion.
Graduate of the LeRoy Funkified Badass School of Soul.

Offline snappledude21

• Space Invaders Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2005, 02:43:08 pm »
Why would that be a complication? It would kinda just be a reminder of where you were, and maybe you could use the extra little guys as grunts, or trade primatively with them, or protect them around your village.  Or even cooler, go drop off your primitive self on another planet and different environment and see what happened to them there.

Mike

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2005, 04:05:19 pm »
My guess is that as you progress you can save some of your 'earlier you' on a your HD or on the EA server. These will end up on a big list that you can pull from, or others can pull from, to add to the game. In theory, you might raid another planet with a less evolved version of you there pulled from the server. If you carried this thought through, it might also be possible to pick-up an earlier version of yourself and take a different evolutionary path. Just load up the drop-down list and go down to an older you, kind of a 'Elder scroll' :) :)
-Lego

Offline Tr0n

• Dragster Diehard
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2005, 10:39:04 pm »
The idea of a creature's history sounds tempting.  Since each creature description can fit in 1k of space, a race's entire evolutionary history could be recorded in just a few kilobytes (depending on the number of evolutions one goes through).  We already know duplicates of one's creature must exist in (at minimum) the land game.  Mating wasn't demonstrated before that point.  If mating is available from an early stage, I would definitely see unevolved or alternately-evolved creatures being present.  However, this sort of creates a paradox.  WHile you are evolving, every other item in the UNIVERSE must be evolving too.  That's a lotta CPU power :).  My guess is there will be limited evolution or some sort of natural selection put into place to keep populations down.  Wouldn't it be cool, though, to have some amoeba you meet in the tidepool stage end up crushing one of your cities millions of years later.  Shoulda eaten it then, huh?
Hey love crusader, I want to be your space invader
For you I will descend the deepest moon crater
I is more stronger than Darth Vapour
Obey me, I is your new dictator

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2005, 01:33:38 am »
I assume that you would have a couple I always figured that each level would be saved to the server thingy plus on your own hard drive so they would be avalible to select as possible other animals to choose from.

Offline Stromko

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2005, 08:11:42 pm »
Although in the demonstration snapshots it looks like the other amoeba are all basically alike except for color, maybe in the final version all the other amoeba will be other players' creations. Thus, they could theoretically evolve right alongside you by following the history another player has alread defined for it; thus indeed, later on you may be have your city invaded by creatures that are strangely familiar. ;)

I don't see a definite reason you can't have ancient ancestors still inhabiting your planet when your species has evolved further on. Although it'd be kinda commonsense that your more evolved form has taken over the same niche, it's also true that species can go into a sort of evolutionary freeze when they perfectly fill a niche, look at the coelacanthe or crocodilians for instance; they haven't gone through a whole heck of a lot of evolution the last 50 million years or so have they?

I say all this based on the assumption that the game will have no built-in algorithm for evolving without player control. For all I know, the game may indeed have systems for automated evolution of species that are not under your control. If that were true, it would theoretically be possible to later on have to compete against an offshoot of your own species, like homo sapien vs the neanderthal. Probably they were offshoots of a common ancestors, and got to the point of tool use right alongside our own species, and then died out from competition or climate change or something.

Wulf

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2005, 05:08:09 am »
I'm going to assume there are no autominous evolutions because they want the game to be as player created as possbile.

Offline craigp

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
    • Perkwiki
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2005, 08:12:21 am »
I wouldn't be surprised if the amoeba stage was the exception, and DIDN'T have other player's content. After all, Pac-Man didn't have ANOTHER Pac-Man.

-Craig

Offline syphonbyte

• Moon Patroller
  • You know what the payment is...
    • View Profile
    • The Village of Fools
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2005, 09:55:51 am »
Maybe they'll just randomly make other amoebas for you to eat (or be eaten by.)

Wulf

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2005, 09:56:30 am »
I wouldn't be surprised if the amoeba stage was the exception, and DIDN'T have other player's content. After all, Pac-Man didn't have ANOTHER Pac-Man.

-Craig
Miss Pacman?

Offline syphonbyte

• Moon Patroller
  • You know what the payment is...
    • View Profile
    • The Village of Fools
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2005, 09:58:31 am »
Miss Pacman?

Who else just got a great idea for a race?

A whole bunch of pac-men who never really evolve past the amoeba stage, besides getting bigger.

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
  • Life is worth much more than gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2005, 10:03:05 am »
What should they do? Walk around?

Quote from: /lurk
PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.
FACE: Not again! Quickly Palm, come to me!

Offline HCantu99

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2005, 04:59:12 pm »
"My Life as a Single-celled Amoeba

I was drifting around one day, in the primordeal soup, trying out my new flagella for the very first time, when all of a sudden a protozoan swooped by and ate my brother...  I was never the same. :'("
An amoeba learns an important lesson in life...

I'm sure I must have seen something like this somewhere, so I take no credit for it, only blame.   :D

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2005, 08:19:37 am »
Spore: Psychiatric Nightmare

"The Elarians never managed to mutate beyond the single-cell level. When mitosis set in the mental health shamans killed the multi-celled creature for fears tied to cloning and multiple-single-personality disorder. Evidence that the shamans just thought that Bob was an @$$hole and having more than one of him around would be unbearable was never substantiated."