Author Topic: An update on Creature Editor Parts  (Read 6901 times)

Offline kmr

• Fishing Derby Champion
  • One hep cat
    • View Profile
An update on Creature Editor Parts
« on: March 23, 2006, 11:17:58 am »
For the benefit of those who are PowerPoint-challenged (OpenOffice will help with that), but also for the rest of us, I thought I might put up the one image that, next to the high-res Willosaur, struck me the deepest: cut from the one slide that showed a prototype of the creature editor, I give you -- functional parts!

Most of these were pretty easy to make out even in the blurry shots and the old video, but confirmed here we see for the first time that there is, indeed, a Sensory Organ catch-all category with an Antenna for an icon, and a general Mouth category as previously guessed at on SporeWiki. What is the triangular-ish one? Let the brainstorming commence!

Personally, though I have said it might be fins or flippers before, I must admit that it looks like it could be a natural weapons category, symbolized by a Spike. Your thoughts are asked for!

Graduate of the LeRoy Funkified Badass School of Soul.

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
Re: An update on Creature Editor Parts
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2006, 11:21:53 am »
the triangular one is to return to cursor mode, I think. but you're likely right.

also the alien hand symbol has to be manipulators and the bottom one might be tentacles.

Offline kmr

• Fishing Derby Champion
  • One hep cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2006, 11:24:13 am »
the triangular one is to return to cursor mode, I think. but you're likely right.

also the alien hand symbol has to be manipulators and the bottom one might be tentacles.

Personally, I am actually of the opinion that the bottom icon is a category that was dropped, as it's nowhere to be seen in later shots of the creature editor. Much like wings were added later.

I am also doubtful of this "return to cursor" thing. For one thing, why put that smack in the middle of a list of functional parts? It makes no sense from a layouting point of view. It would get its own, individual position on-screen, and wouldn't be hidden away in a list where it's easy to miss.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2006, 11:25:57 am by kmr »

Offline mrodgers

• Choplifter Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2006, 11:24:49 am »

I bet its a flipper or fin.  You wouldn't put a return to menu type button in the middle of a tool box.  It would be at the top or bottom to stay out of the way.
Check out my (Thurlin's) creatures, building, and vehicles.  You won't be disappointed.

http://www.spore.com/flash/csa_widget.swf?userid=2263477425&username=Thurlin&host=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spore.com%2Fview%2Fuser-thumbnail

Offline Behumat

• Joust Warrior
  • Coruscant committee to fight urban sprawl
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2006, 11:24:54 am »
I think they would put a return to cursor mode at the bottom. It might be a flipper, or some sort of abdomin.

Offline Petike

• Stargate Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2006, 11:27:49 am »
If you see the whole picture, you can see than it is much simplier than the older one, I think this is for the technicians
Quote from: MasterChiToes in "Spore was dumbed down"
Maybe the Sporons are the ones that got dumbed down?  ;D

Offline kmr

• Fishing Derby Champion
  • One hep cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2006, 11:29:36 am »
If you see the whole picture, you can see than it is much simplier than the older one, I think this is for the technicians

It is simpler because this is the older one. ;) This is probably long before any work went into designing an editor environment (as would be the case during an early alpha).

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2006, 11:30:23 am »
yea, its much simpler and the order of them is different. plus in one of the screenshots of the editor, there is a button for baby, I dunno what that means.

Offline Behumat

• Joust Warrior
  • Coruscant committee to fight urban sprawl
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2006, 11:32:59 am »
I figured that was the finished button, you know, hit that to make the baby when you're done messing with its evil-ution.

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2006, 11:42:41 am »
well its an older concept art thing, so yea. we didnt see any such button on last years GDC vid.

gec05

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2006, 11:45:43 am »
More than likely we wont see this kind of GUI in the finished game. It's going to change, they always do.

werechicken

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2006, 11:46:19 am »
it looks like we can get hornsa and segmented legs though... a few people will be keen to know that

Offline kmr

• Fishing Derby Champion
  • One hep cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2006, 11:49:03 am »
it looks like we can get hornsa and segmented legs though... a few people will be keen to know that

Those are not legs, they're antennae. ::)

werechicken

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2006, 11:49:33 am »
even cooler

Offline MrFrenik

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2006, 12:26:04 pm »
the bottom tool icon looks like a tail
*insert something deep*