Author Topic: Top 5 Songs of the last 50 years?  (Read 4231 times)

Offline Psilontech

• Mystery House Madman
  • SCIENCE!!!
    • View Profile
Top 5 Songs of the last 50 years?
« on: April 25, 2005, 12:46:53 pm »
So, in each of your opinions, what are the top 5 songs of the last 50 Years?* I have my soundcard working again and I want to listen to some good tunes!  ;D Ooh, could you also provide teh alb they are on and who did them? thanks!

*: Rap and country "music" are excluded from this list ;)

"Whatever Febreeze can't fix, a gun will"

Offline lemurbouy

• Defender Devotee
  • oh my...
    • View Profile
    • Leeman's Livejournal!
Re: Top 5 Songs of the last 50 years?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2005, 03:27:40 pm »
Goshdarn, this is somewhat ambitious.  50 years?  Well, let me think.  Anything by Stephen Sondheim but especially songs from Sweeney Todd, especially the Finale.  I really like musicals but I'll just have to leave it at that.  The Look by Roxette is really an amazing song from one of my favourite bands.  Again, I would look at all sorts of their music.  I love Weird Al so I'd suggest a bunch from him, especially Hardware Store from his newest album Poodle Hat.  The Megaman 2 music by the Minibosses is amazing as is an orchestral version of Vampire Killer that's out there.  I can't say that that's the greatest music but it's awesome.  -leeman

Offline syphonbyte

• Moon Patroller
  • You know what the payment is...
    • View Profile
    • The Village of Fools
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2005, 06:17:52 pm »
Elvis is pretty good, and he just fits into the 50 year limit, I think. I like upbeat pop/soul type songs from the 60-70's etc, but I can't realy make any specific recommendations. Rubber Band Man is pretty good, I've listened to that a lot lately now that I found it again... (lost my old copy and didn't get around to getting another for a while) but it really depends on what you like.

Offline tomberg

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2005, 02:41:42 pm »
i'd say beatles-help!,nirvana-smells like teen spirit,ac/dc(i think)-ironman,2-bitsuperheroes-every word between us, bee-gees-night fever

Offline DevilMachine

• Q*Bert Qrazy
  • Defender of the Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2005, 10:49:25 pm »
The Doors.... yeah that about covers it  ;D

Offline Sturek

• Microvision Master
  • If we can dream it, we can do it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2005, 05:14:44 pm »
Why does everyone suggest old(er) songs when asked about the top songs of the last 50 years ?
I read a book about it called "Don't believe the hype" and the author stated that most of those songs were...well...just hype :D
I mean he literally bashed some Beatles, Dylan and Morisson Albums, because, as he said thier are just above average and not really interesting besides being made by Beatles, Dylan or Morisson.....
In a radio interview he mentioned the exact problem I just mentioned.
There was a survey in the German Rolling Stone, "The 500 best Albums of all time"....
In the Top 10 there was only ONE Album that was not made in the 60s or 70s.....

1. Bob Dylan - Blonde on Blonde (1966)
2. The Beatles - Revolver (1966)
3.The Rolling Stones - Exile on Main Street (1972)
4. The Velvet Underground & Nico - The Velvet Underground (1967)
5. The Beatles - The Beatles (1968)
6. The Sex Pistols - Never Mind The Bollocks Here's The Sex Pistols (1977)
7. Nirvana - Nevermind (1991)
8. The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds (1966)
9. Bruce Springsteen - Born to run (1975)
10. The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's.... (1967)

And it goes on like that....more than half of the 500 best albums of all time were made in the 60s and 70s according to the Rolling Stone.....the other half was made after that, before the 60s only 8 really good albums were madeá ::)

well...sorry about that :D I think I'm too young to understand the reason all those Albums were picked, but honestly, I don't like The Beatles or The Stones that much....they are hyped, of course some songs are REALLY good, but ALL of them...I don't think so.....

Anyway my Top 5 of the last 50 years...well more like the last 19 years ;): (at the moment at least, that changes all the time :D)
1. Jimmy Eat World - Hear You Me (Bleed American Demo (!)) \Emo-Rock ballad
2. Allan Taylor - For Those We Knew (The Beat Hotel) \Folk
3. Fury In The Slaughterhouse - Bar Des Boulistes (Super Furys and I think The Hearing and The Sense Of Balance) \Soft-Rock
4. William Shatner - That's Me Trying (Has Been) \Some sort of strange Rock-Pop-Rap
5. Secret Of Mana - Fear Of The Heavens or The One During The Title Screen (I Have No Clue) \Video Game Music

That was REALLY hard :D But I think I got it right
Life, don't talk to me about life.
                 -Marvin, the paranoid android

Offline syphonbyte

• Moon Patroller
  • You know what the payment is...
    • View Profile
    • The Village of Fools
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2005, 01:46:42 pm »
It's a preference thing, and a lot of the people who answered probably grew up around that time.

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2005, 06:32:24 pm »
You should do an I-tunes search (if you have Itunes) for the top songs for each year. Thats a good way to find them. 50 years is a long time and there are so many good songs.

Offline cyberman

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2005, 06:21:40 am »
Awesome List!
shatner rocks!!!